Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[Superthread] Mayweather vs Pacman **NO STREAMING REQUESTS**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I was sober, judged the fight, round by round, sober, gave my judgement at the end of each round, and like in real life - got dogs abuse when people who wanted their guy to win, lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Apparently floyd is saying he'd be up for a rematch once manny's shoulder heals, next year, would take him to that 50th fight anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Panic E

Apparently floyd is saying he'd be up for a rematch once manny's shoulder heals, next year, would take him to that 50th fight anyway...

I'd actually respect him for that. It's a no brainer sure? I'm not disputing that he said it...

… But I think it's unlikely he will do it. How many times did he say 'Pacquaio is next' over the years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

walshb wrote: »
    I don't think many shots thrown by either man were obvious or clear landed and scoring shots. Compu box (people) tallied them up nonetheless.

it's no coincidence that the rounds scored and computbox were pretty similar, I scored it not knowing the figures but based on what i seen and score it 118-110

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

:D

Jeez, you have me thinking now.

But, you are generally anti Pacman and Pro Mayweather through the past 5-6 years. I was buckled, but you were too, on bias!

We need to be objective.

certainly not anti pacman, I simply felt Manny had no hope but a punchers chance v Floyd, I think he agreed with me tbh, My whole "Anti Pacman" thing was just saying Floyd was superior, and if Manny was busier he would have just got beat more, to me it was proven who is better in the fight, Justifying my belief

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

efb wrote: »
    I was sober, judged the fight, round by round, sober, gave my judgement at the end of each round, and like in real life - got dogs abuse when people who wanted their guy to win, lost.

I didnt care who won ,I wanted a good fight .
    What I saw was one guy on the defensive for most of the fight throwing a few pot shots here and there but largely trying to keep away from a smaller man who was more aggressive .

What Mayweather showed was not great defensive work ,great defensive boxers are hard to hit but they also throw aggressive punches .
    They lure their opponent in them hit them hard .
    How many big punches did Mayweather throw all night ,2 or 3 ?
    Most of his punches were weak as water.

Any time Mayweather looked in a bit of bother he kept grabbing on or lowering his head below his waist ,ridiculous stuff that should have been penalised .

I agree with Holyfield ,I thought Pacquiao won the fight .

I didnt care who won ,I wanted a good fight .
    What I saw was one guy on the defensive for most of the fight throwing a few pot shots here and there but largely trying to keep away from a smaller man who was more aggressive .

What Mayweather showed was not great defensive work ,great defensive boxers are hard to hit but they also throw aggressive punches .
    They lure their opponent in them hit them hard .
    How many big punches did Mayweather throw all night ,2 or 3 ?
    Most of his punches were weak as water.

Any time Mayweather looked in a bit of bother he kept grabbing on or lowering his head below his waist ,ridiculous stuff that should have been penalised .

I agree with Holyfield ,I thought Pacquiao won the fight .

Weak as water? Try being g on the receiving end of one!

Pacquiao came forward very little that I can remember. What were your round scores?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

F you Fraud Duckweather f you :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Weak as water? Try being g on the receiving end of one!

My arse. His offensive shots were weak as water. Not once did I even see Manny wobbled or rocked or have his head snapped back. Not a mark on him. Be bloody honest when assessing Floyd's landed shots. He never really tried to get much into them. They were swipes and glances as opposed to deliberate and forceful.

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

:p

Levra wrote: »
    Floyd was throwing punches ( more than Manny) so he wasn't just "surviving and disengaging".

I was speaking about that clip specifically. From what I know the thrown shots for both men was very close in numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭leonil7

bayles said 'i want you to keep this fight clean at all times'.. he must have missed fm's moves.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

I looked at the fight again. Mayweather held the centre of the ring for large portions of the fight. The only time he got on the move is when he felt his back on the ropes. Why would he stay on the ropes ? Dead right to get out of there sharp. All this running and ducking is cheap to say it was always going to be said if manny lost the the the excuse was ready made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

The amount of whinging from Pac fans has been pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Kev M

I've watched it again too, and for all the criticism it wasn't even a bad fight. The problem is the fight was 'bigger than boxing', with flomos and pactards battling delusions of right and wrong, good and evil. The fight was never going to live up to the hype - you can count the amount of times floyd's been hurt in his career on one hand... you think he'll suddenly throw out the playbook with a puncher like Pac? His mentality is to 'shut guys out'. and that's what was always going to happen.

Kev M wrote: »
    I've watched it again too, and for all the criticism it wasn't even a bad fight. The problem is the fight was 'bigger than boxing', with flomos and pactards battling delusions of right and wrong, good and evil. The fight was never going to live up to the hype - you can count the amount of times floyd's been hurt in his career on one hand... you think he'll suddenly throw out the playbook with a puncher like Pac? His mentality is to 'shut guys out'. and that's what was always going to happen.

Do you really believe he shut Pacman out? I could make the argument that Manny shut Floyd out by not allowing Floyd hit him with any clean and decent shots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Think I'm missing the "dirty tricks" part of this video. A couple of holds, one low blow, and a few other clips that I am not sure what I am meant to be looking at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

I don't understand how the accusation of 'running away' is anyway valid whatsoever. Surely if your opponent is doing that and you are good enough you can cut off the ring/trap him on tbe ropes etc.

If you can't you're effectively criticising your opponent for being clever enough not to fight exactly the type of fight you wanted to fight.

It's like arsene wenger or somebody criticising Stoke for playing defensively, to their strengths rather than try and play open free flowing football which wouldn't suit them at all.

I do agree in a sense with the idea that if mayweather really cared about his legacy or the fans he should be more aggressive, but he probably and legitimately sees his only job as winning fights, which he does in a way that is very effective

That's all well and good but pbf doesn't market himself as Stoke, he's barca in their prime or at least that is what was shoved down our neck

• Advertisement

Levra wrote: »
    Floyd landed more significant punches so don't expect people to take you seriously if you make that point.

Having watched it twice I'd have to disagree, while he did land more he pot shot his way to victory.

Basically , most rounds consisted on Floyd landing 3 jabs to mannys 2

T-K-O wrote: »
    Having watched it twice I'd have to disagree, while he did land more he pot shot his way to victory.

Well me, the judges and most rational people agree even compu box.

Floyd landed more - that's a Fact

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

I watched most of it again and after the first watching I felt Mayweather had dominated but on second viewing it was closer. Mayweather shaded most rounds without putting Manny under pressure.

Manny just wasn't busy enough to get the nod in most rounds, he seemed as happy as Mayweather with the lack of action

Well me, the judges and most rational people agree even compu box.

Floyd landed more - that's a Fact

Even compu box eh. Re read my post I never said he didn't statistically land more shots.

RoryMac wrote: »
    I watched most of it again and after the first watching I felt Mayweather had dominated but on second viewing it was closer. Mayweather shaded most rounds without putting Manny under pressure.

Manny just wasn't busy enough to get the nod in most rounds, he seemed as happy as Mayweather with the lack of action

Agreed, 3 jabs to 2, a masterclass ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Imagine others posting in ur thread when a massive fight is on I spent 5 mins scanning this and u come across a right idiot, ur pure butthurt over poeple posting in here its quite sad,

There's a report a post function here. Also, there's an ignore button. Please use one or both in future rather than resorting to personal abuse within the thread.

Even compu box eh. Re read my post I never said he didn't statistically land more shots.

You Said 3 Jabs to Manny's 2... Clearly that's not correct

Mayweather Pacquiao II

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/floyd-mayweather-will-fight-manny-pacquiao-again-in-a-year-1.2201009

Probably deserves a new thread, but... They're going again??? Seriously???

Guess the lure of another $100 mil too much to say no to, but give it a week at least boys.

Do you really believe he shut Pacman out? I could make the argument that Manny shut Floyd out by not allowing Floyd hit him with any clean and decent shots.

Shut out to the extent of some of his past opponents? No.
    But shut out to the point where his strengths were nullified? For the most part, yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Cali_girl wrote: »
    Mayweather Pacquiao II

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/floyd-mayweather-will-fight-manny-pacquiao-again-in-a-year-1.2201009

Guess the lure of another $100 mil too much to say no to, but give it a week at least boys.

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me

You Said 3 Jabs to Manny's 2... Clearly that's not correct

Yup about a third more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

For the love of christ, no rematch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

I didn't think it was a bad fight either. It was alright, although I can understand why it was a nightmare for people who'd never seen Floyd.

I really didn't Floyd did anything too special though. What he did in terms of nullifying Manny's offence we've seen before. The difference was JMM didn't have Floyd's reach, or jab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

gwan the rematch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Wouldn't be priceless if the rematch ended in Manny KOing Floyd in the KO of the decade. Cannot see a rematch happening tbh. I think Manny will have retired by then too.I think he'll fight Crawford next and call it quits no matter the result.

• Advertisement

Wouldn't be priceless if the rematch ended in Manny KOing Floyd in the KO of the decade. Cannot see a rematch happening tbh. I think Manny will have retired by then too.I think he'll fight Crawford next and call it quits no matter the result.

Don't see it happening either but stranger things have happened.

I think Crawford will fight Matthysse and the winner (which would be Crawford I think) will fight Manny. Crawford is well capable of beating Manny too.

With Floyd relinquishing his belts I assumed he'd just have a handy retirement fight in September - somebody with a name but who he can look good against. Maybe Danny Garcia?

With Floyd relinquishing his belts I assumed he'd just have a handy retirement fight in September - somebody with a name but who he can look good against. Maybe Danny Garcia?

Danny Garcia's name is in the gutter at the moment. His record since the Matthysse fight is truly pathetic. He's arguably lost twice, and the Salka fight was one of the most disgraceful match-ups the sport has seen in some time.

It would be a very tough sell. Garcia wouldn't be remotely competitive. He'd make Guerrero's performance look alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Henno30 wrote: »
    Danny Garcia's name is in the gutter at the moment. His record since the Matthysse fight is truly pathetic. He's arguably lost twice, and the Salka fight was one of the most disgraceful match-ups the sport has seen in some time.

It would be a very tough sell. Garcia wouldn't be remotely competitive. He'd make Guerrero's performance look alright.

Pretty good reasons for Mayweather to fight him so.

Some difference in the performance of the two showcased fighters on Saturday night. I don't know where the hell LSC's career is going but I've no interest in following it. Loma on the other hand looked great. Loma v Walters is one of the best fights that can be made in the entire sport.

• Advertisement

Cali_girl wrote: »
    Mayweather Pacquiao II

Will never happen imo. Hopefully to does though, maybe Floyd is more confident now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I hope their is a rematch, but this time it should be held in the Philippines on Mannys home turf, ideally in the Philippine Arena or in the smaller Arneta Coliseum home of the famous "thrilla in manilla" back in the Day. Put together a big enough fight fund and Money and PacMan can rehash it all over again. The three judges should be Filipino also just like the three Americans were the Judges on Saturday night. If it happens and Manny's arm is ok then Manny will destroy Mayweather.

Yup about a third more

Not 3 for every 2 he said 3 to 2

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Think I'm missing the "dirty tricks" part of this video.

A couple of holds, one low blow, and a few other clips that I am not sure what I am meant to be looking at.

Are you serious. When is a low blow not a dirty move? What you are meant to be looking at in order; with the corresponding rule/s of fouls

* Elbow & forearm, headlock (attempted)

(2. Use of elbows, shoulders or forearms | 13. Excessive holding the opponent or maintaining a clinch | 28. Any rough tactics other than clean punches.)

* Crouching below the belt, holding, headbutt (attempted)

(20. Crouching the body below the opponent’s belt defensively or to strike | 13. Excessive holding the opponent or maintaining a clinch | 3. Butting with the head)

* Groin attack.

(1. Low blows)

* Pulling Pacquiao's (injured) arm.

(28. Any rough tactics other than clean punches | 13. Excessive holding the opponent or maintaining a clinch)

* Elbow, forearm.

(2. Use of elbows, shoulders or forearms)

* Headlock, guillotine choke!

(13. Excessive holding the opponent or maintaining a clinch | 28. Any rough tactics other than clean punches)

* Pushing and holding (back of the head) while punching

(6. Holding the opponent’s head or body with one hand while hitting with the other | 4. Hitting in the back of the head)

* Headlock, guillotine choke

(13. Excessive holding the opponent or maintaining a clinch | 28. Any rough tactics other than clean punches)

* Pushing

(17. Using the open hand to position or rub the glove on the opponent’s face)

http://wbcboxing.com/downloads/RULES_FOR_CHAMPIONSHIP_FIGHTS_-_SYNTHESIZED_09.pdf

And last but not least- running in the opposite direction of your opponent from one side of the ring to the other!

Technically it's not illegal once your back isn't turned. But that is something that Floyd has become a master at.

It's not engaging your opponent though, and should be scored as such. I posted a video earlier focusing on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭5T3PH3N

Photoshop

Stinicker wrote: »
    I hope their is a rematch, but this time it should be held in the Philippines on Mannys home turf, ideally in the Philippine Arena or in the smaller Arneta Coliseum home of the famous "thrilla in manilla" back in the Day. Put together a big enough fight fund and Money and PacMan can rehash it all over again. The three judges should be Filipino also just like the three Americans were the Judges on Saturday night. If it happens and Manny's arm is ok then Manny will destroy Mayweather.

Sounds only fair. And, I agree.

Not 3 for every 2 he said 3 to 2

So you want exact stats when discussing the bout :rolleyes: by the way, keep up. I said 3-2 and that is correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Panic E wrote: »
    Are you serious. When is a low blow not a dirty move? What you are meant to be looking at in order; with the corresponding rule/s of fouls

* Elbow & forearm, headlock (attempted)

(2. Use of elbows, shoulders or forearms | 13. Excessive holding the opponent or maintaining a clinch | 28. Any rough tactics other than clean punches.)

* Crouching below the belt, holding, headbutt (attempted)

(20. Crouching the body below the opponent’s belt defensively or to strike | 13. Excessive holding the opponent or maintaining a clinch | 3. Butting with the head)

* Groin attack.

(1. Low blows)

* Pulling Pacquiao's (injured) arm.

(28. Any rough tactics other than clean punches | 13. Excessive holding the opponent or maintaining a clinch)

* Elbow, forearm.

(2. Use of elbows, shoulders or forearms)

* Headlock, guillotine choke!

* Pushing and holding (back of the head) while punching

(6. Holding the opponent’s head or body with one hand while hitting with the other | 4. Hitting in the back of the head)

* Headlock, guillotine choke

* Pushing

(17. Using the open hand to position or rub the glove on the opponent’s face)

http://wbcboxing.com/downloads/RULES_FOR_CHAMPIONSHIP_FIGHTS_-_SYNTHESIZED_09.pdf

And last but not least- running in the opposite direction of your opponent from one side of the ring to the other!

Technically it's not illegal once your back isn't turned. But that is something that Floyd has become a master at.

It's not engaging your opponent though, and should be scored as such. I posted a video earlier focusing on that.

So basically a few things that happen in fights every week but because Mayweather did these things it is dirty tricks.

There was one low blow, which Pacquiao didn't really react to. There wasn't much to the holding or pushing.

How was Floyd to know that Pacquiao's arm was injured when he declared himself fully fit on Friday? I really fail to see the attempted headbutt btw.

I won't bother addressing the "technically not illegal" running.

I'm not a fan of either of these guys but picking one off instances & slowing them down to try and make them look worse than they are comes across as petty.

HigginsJ wrote: »
    So basically a few things that happen in fights every week but because Mayweather did these things it is dirty tricks.

There was one low blow, which Pacquiao didn't really react to. There wasn't much to the holding or pushing.

How was Floyd to know that Pacquiao's arm was injured when he declared himself fully fit on Friday? I really fail to see the attempted headbutt btw.

I won't bother addressing the "technically not illegal" running.

I'm not a fan of either of these guys but picking one off instances & slowing them down to try and make them look worse than they are comes across as petty.

Not entirely true, guys like Khan get absolutely slatted for holding and pot shotting but when the best of all time does it, it's a masterclass. The media and floyds attitude is just a little too much to stomach.

• Advertisement
Advertisement