Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[Superthread] Mayweather vs Pacman **NO STREAMING REQUESTS**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Panic E

How do you know I haven't already? And what does it have to do with the thread. No offence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Oh so the way he boxed his way through super featherweight and JW up to WW had noting got to do with. Go look at Mayweathers fights from the start of his career come back then and tell me what you think.

Start of his career is no different than any elite fighter. He is the supposed TBE....

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

Panic E wrote: »
    How do you know I haven't already? And what does it have to do with the thread. No offence

Well seen as you were the one that went off topic and criticised Mayweather career. I was only posting a reply about Mayweathers career

walshb wrote: »
    Start of his career is no different than any elite fighter. He is the supposed TBE....

I never said it wasn't again I'm only posting a reply about criticism of Mayweathers career that I think is unfair

Well seen as you were the one that went off topic and criticised Mayweather career. I was only posting a reply about Mayweathers career

No need to take it personally. It's not OT, they were trying to make this fight for half of his career.

Plus, you didn't even reply to anything I said but had a go at me in the other thread for this news;

Corrales is supposed to be his most complete performance, and we were talking about that earlier on.

BTW, did anybody hear him say before the fight that even if Pacquiao beat him he was still TBE? Man

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

No need to take it personally. It's not OT, they were trying to make this fight for half of his career.

Plus, you didn't even reply to anything I said but had a go at me in the other thread for this news;

Corrales is supposed to be his most complete performance, and we were talking about that earlier on.

BTW, did anybody hear him say before the fight that even if Pacquiao beat him he was still TBE? Man

I'm not taking it personally. It's just when summing the fight and both fighters career try doing it fairly and don't let your dislike for Mayweather cloud you doing that

darced wrote: »

I love Pacquaio too, just look at how much excitement he brought to the table throughout his exceptional career.

I will say that he has fought a lot of guys who were elite and in their prime etc and some of them several times even.

Not including any you mentioned. He was the underdog and the smaller man in those bouts, not exactly cherry picking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

Re Floyd's career ii hardly needs to be said at this stage that he had a chance to achieve real greatness at 147 from 2006-2008. Cotto, Margarito, Paul Williams - he fought none of them. Despite being offered career high pay-days.

He could have had those fights. He didn't. Live with the consequences.

• Advertisement

It's just when summing the fight and both fighters career try doing it fairly and don't let your dislike for Mayweather cloud you doing that

Well, the fight ended up a big stinker and Manny had only one good arm so. (surgery went ok today they say)

As for careers, Manny's was much better. Can't believe he said that Pacquaio can fight on his undercard though! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Obviously when Floyd's career is all said and done there will be a lot of what ifs about his career...something which will taint his legacy. He has a great resume on paper, and some of the guys he beat were top top fighters at that time but he has undoubtedly fought quite a few lads who're either past their best, disadvantaged heavily etc. The same cannot really be said about Manny...that's my big fault against Floyd. And that's why I think he'll never go down as being better than Manny as an all time great.

that's my big fault against Floyd. And that's why I think he'll never go down as being better than Manny as an all time great.

Same as that. Not a chance. I wonder does he actually believe he is the TBE and all that?

Gotta admire his business brain though. He knows who he is fighting next, it will do 30 mil.

Then he has an idea $$$ put Pacman on the undercard $$$ lol. Eureka, he is some character!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

darced wrote: »

Im not sure I agree. In that timeframe Manny fought Diaz, Hatton and Cotto who had all only lost once prior and he fought Bradley who you gave him credit for and Algeri at a time that both were unbeaten.
    I agree with you regarding Floyd fighting Canelo. Credit to him for that as he was a dangerous opponent I did not think he would fight however Canelos legacy is far from cemented given he is against a decent opponent next and GGG is in his weight class aswell.

And let's not forget that Mayweather fought Canelo 2 lbs under the LMW limit. Pretty much the same as Cotto weighing 145 lbs for the Pacman fight. 2 lbs for Canelo was likely a big ask considering that he is right on that limit.

• Advertisement

What about Mayweather been past his prime and fighting with two broken hands the last good while now and still winning comfortably. Mayweather done bad damage to his shoulder against Castillo still won the fight. No excuses after

What about Mayweather been past his prime and fighting with two broken hands the last good while

Fighting with 2 broken hands? :eek: What a warrior, come one man.

Fighting with 2 broken hands? :eek: What a warrior, come one man.

I think everyone knows he's struggled with his hands awhile now. I think that's why we don't see the combinations he used to let off. To be fair he never uses his hands as an excuse he's just adapted his game to stay unbeaten and for that credit should be giving like or dislike him

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭DylanAFC

[quote="Chrissybhoy;95385679" against Castillo still won the fight. No excuses after [/quote]

Still won the fight, haha come on man that was a disgraceful decision. First thing he said in the post fight interview was mention his hurt shoulder. If he hadn't got the decision it would have been the exact same.

He has a great resume on paper, and some of the guys he beat were top top fighters at that time but he has undoubtedly fought quite a few lads who're either past their best, disadvantaged heavily etc. The same cannot really be said about Manny

Henno30 wrote: »
    Re Floyd's career it hardly needs to be said at this stage that he had a chance to achieve real greatness at 147 from 2006-2008. Cotto, Margarito, Paul Williams - he fought none of them. Despite being offered career high pay-days.

• Advertisement

DylanAFC wrote: »
    Still won the fight, haha come on man that was a disgraceful decision. First thing he said in the post fight interview was mention his hurt shoulder. If he hadn't got the decision it would have been the exact same.

Disgraceful decision no . Close decision yes . Right fighter won. In the rematch after surgery he showed what would of happened if there wasn't an injury

I think everyone knows he's struggled with his hands awhile now.

There's a big difference between that claim and what you said, in fairness.

There obviously not broke. But they dictate how he fights now it's the reason he's not as offensive as before. But it's never mentioned.

Disgraceful decision no . Close decision yes . Right fighter won. In the rematch after surgery he showed what would of happened if there wasn't an injury

I can't recall that well the rematch, but he didn't beat Castillo up. It was competitive I believe. The first fight Castillo won. It too was competitive.

I can't recall that well the rematch, but he didn't beat Castillo up. It was competitive I believe. The first fight Castillo won. It too was competitive.

The first fight very competitive and I can see the argument. Rematch was a more clear UD and left no questions to be answered

There obviously not broke. But it's never mentioned.

It's always mentioned! I've been hearing about Mayweathers 'brittle' hands now for longer than I can remember.

He was in one dressing room getting shots for that the other night while Manny was being denied his in the other.

For a much more serious injury I believe than those 'brittle hands' Floyd complains of. Nobody has mentioned that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

It's always mentioned! I've been hearing about Mayweathers 'brittle' hands now for longer than I can remember.

He was in one dressing room getting shots for that the other night while Manny was being denied his in the other.

For a much more serious injury I believe than those 'brittle hands' Floyd complains of. Nobody has mentioned that.

But he never told anyone about his injury ?

What did you expect ?

TheNap wrote: »
    But he never told anyone about his injury ?

It was detailed with and approved by the USADA and his doctors.

Never once did I hear use as an excuse for his performance. Don't think the shoulder injury is more serious it happened to Mayweather in the past can be sorted with surgery. Mayweathers hands can't be

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

It was detailed with and approved by the USADA and his doctors.

But not with the Nevada comission, who actually sanctioned the fight. All usada do is the testing.

It's unfortunate that he couldn't get the shot on the night but the blame lies solely with manny and his people.

It all just adds to the fight and event being a complete let down. I am not one for conspiracies, but this was one event that was going to have elements of controversy. Saying it again, but McGregor nailed it: A business transaction is what we witnessed.

The Castillo robbery was as big a robbery as Floyd in the Olympics. No way could that fight have been given to Floyd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

With regards Pacquaio

He wouldn't fight 5 years ago because he wouldn't take a needle in the lead up to the fight

Now he is giving out he wasn't allowed take a needle the day of the fight

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 Chileanwine

Early estimates coming in indicate the PPV numbers are between 5 and 6 million. This would mean Mayweather would earn around 250 million dollars.

With regards Pacquaio

He wouldn't fight 5 years ago because he wouldn't take a needle in the lead up to the fight

There's a big difference between having blood drawn and an intra-muscular shot, I know which one I would prefer. Having blood drawn is an injury in of itself.

What's with all the anti Pacquaio sentiment? The greatest fighter of our generation, fighter of the decade, 8 division world champion etcetera. Makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

Early estimates coming in indicate the PPV numbers are between 5 and 6 million. This would mean Mayweather would earn around 250 million dollars.

One word, WOW!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

With regards Pacquaio

Can you please stop repeating lies? You're either wrong or lying, not sure which, but I've seen you mention Pacquiao being afraid of needles multiple times. He said he didn't want blood to be drawn close to the fight, not that he was afraid of needles. He said this on TV in the Philippines years ago, that he had blood drawn before one of his losses and he had felt it made him weaker. There is no big conspiracy. This information is readily available for anyone who wants actual facts, yet I constantly see you, cowzerp and multiple others repeating this lie over and over. It just weakens your argument.

Floyd is better than Manny. He will beat him again in a rematch if it happens. There is seriously no need to lie, it just makes you look bitter and like a fanboy.

I will bow out of this mess again, just wanted to point out your inaccuracy.

• Advertisement

moneyman wrote: »
    Can you please stop repeating lies? You're either wrong or lying, not sure which, but I've seen you mention Pacquiao being afraid of needles multiple times. He said he didn't want blood to be drawn close to the fight, not that he was afraid of needles. He said this on TV in the Philippines years ago, that he had blood drawn before one of his losses and he had felt it made him weaker. There is no big conspiracy. This information is readily available for anyone who wants actual facts, yet I constantly see you, cowzerp and multiple others repeating this lie over and over. It just weakens your argument.

Floyd is better than Manny. He will beat him again in a rematch if it happens. There is seriously no need to lie, it just makes you look bitter and like a fanboy.

I will bow out of this mess again, just wanted to point out your inaccuracy.

Not like pacquiao to make excuses so after a previous loss he blamed it on blood being taken didn't know that. Pattern starting to develop here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Not like pacquiao to make excuses so after a previous loss he blamed it on blood being taken didn't know that. Pattern starting to develop here

Quite possibly, but if you're going to have an agenda, at least get the facts correct.

This is probably the best breakdown of the fight I have seen so far:

:pac:

It all just adds to the fight and event being a complete let down.

I think that's something we can all agree on! Replay is tonight anyway

Quite possibly, but if you're going to have an agenda, at least get the facts correct.

I don't have an agenda I never mentioned anything about needles. It's just when you said he blamed blood being taken for a defeat it looks like he finds it hard to accept defeat and finds excuses

Pacquaio is the one with the 'excuses' now and is even a 'coward' according to Floyd. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭megadodge

The Castillo robbery was as big a robbery as Floyd in the Olympics. No way could that fight have been given to Floyd.

I'm not too keen on getting involved in this endless arguement, but on the Olympics - that was no robbery! It was a very close fight that could have gone either way, it went to the Bulgarian by one point. Hardly a robbery?

What Floyd fans don't bother mentioning (cos they probably don't know) was that in Floyd's previous bout, he squeaked past a Cuban by one point in a very close fight. How come they don't scream robbery there?

As for the Castillo fight, I've watched that fight at least five times over the years (just in case I developed a new perspective) and the closest I've ever given it was Castillo by four rounds. The Mexican absolutely won that fight and evey time I hear about Floyd's 'O' and the 'Mayvinci code' crap I recall this genuine robbery that gets ignored in the hype.

megadodge wrote: »
    I'm not too keen on getting involved in this endless arguement, but on the Olympics - that was no robbery! It was a very close fight that could have gone either way, it went to the Bulgarian by one point. Hardly a robbery?

Two words. Thank you. I held off from this, but pre Pacman fight and the hype they haven peddling this nonsense about Todorov's win being a disgrace. I gave the fight to Floyd by a point or two. Not remotely close to a robbery.

:pac: Ok what do you say here. This is hilarious! I wouldn't know where to begin :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

:pac: Ok what do you say here. This is hilarious! I wouldn't know where to begin :pac:

It has been said by a few already, but the sooner this dickhead leaves boxing the better the sport will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Most MMA fighters thought that Pacquaio won it too. Personally I felt it was a draw as I said earlier a la Jeff Powell

They should have been allowed to fight until there was a clear winner seeing as the rules apparently don't matter :pac:

MMA fighters no nothing about Boxing, that's like saying the Dublin GAA team thought Liverpool should have won, means nothing

Bob Arum said Manny was afraid of needles to stop the fight happening, you can try hide the truth but it's hardly news, Bob obviously forgot Manny was full of tattoos
    Pacquaio is the one with the 'excuses' now and is even a 'coward' according to Floyd. :rolleyes:

Manny fought like a coward, he didn't attack because he knew he'd be knocked out, the dull fight was all Manny's fault, Floyd done what he always done, Manny changed his way of fighting due to fear

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement
Advertisement