Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2014 Brides

• 02-01-2014 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi All,
    Just hit me like a ton of bricks today that I'm getting married this year!!! :eek:Silly I know, after 2 years of planning!:o

Already have the sick/nervous feeling in my stomach and just wanted to get any other 2014 brides feedback on how you are all feeling/how far along you are with planning? I keep thinking I'm done then something else creeps into my mind :D

xxx

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

2 years of planning?
    how could you be worried? :D
    Get down to looking forward to it. Once the people you care and love about are there, nothing else matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Getting married New Years Eve and have hotel booked, dj booked, hair and make up booked and that's flipping it. I'm pregnant and due in April so will shop for a dress after the birth, bridesmaids dresses picked just not bought, having button bouquets but making them myself. Have to book photography, someone to do flower girl wands and grooms men boutonnierre's. Cake is being made as a present... haven't given notice to wed yet but have ages for that.

Not much else to do, not having cars (staying in hotel night before wedding).

No stress, no fuss... Relaxed and prepared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

I only have less than a month left before the big day so I am getting quite excited.

Everything is basically done except the table plan of course. I don't want to sound bad but people are incredibly slow rsvping. I can see myself ringing around soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 MrsB2be

Pang; 3 of my friends got married in 2013 and had a nightmare with RSVP's, I dont think theres any avoiding it to be honest! One friend had 10 people (5 couples) RSVP yes and not turn up :/

January; Wow busy year for you so! I think I have everything I can do, done so far. Fingers crossed!

So exciting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

MrsB2be wrote: »
    Pang; 3 of my friends got married in 2013 and had a nightmare with RSVP's, I dont think theres any avoiding it to be honest! One friend had 10 people (5 couples) RSVP yes and not turn up :/

Omg, that is such bad form. I can't believe people would do that.

Got the last few bits for the ladies bathroom basket today so that is it, I hope!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭pooch90

We are the start of August.
    Have venue, celebrant, photo, video, band, my dress, make up, cake done. BM dresses nearly picked. Going to attempt a button bouquet, think I have my shoes picked, rough idea of invites.
    Appointment made with HSE.

Anything else that should be done this far in advance?
    Ceremony musicians and hair soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Dortilolma

7 months to go here.
    After Christmas it hit me and I have already been apologising to everyone for the inevitable 7 months of nothing but wedding chatter from me.

Have venue, band, officiant, photographer and dress. Finalising guest lists this weekend - sending save the dates in the next few weeks and finalising invites to go out in February/March. Still tonnes to do but it's all moving along.

Pooch90 - you sound well organised! That's loads to have done by now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

June for me! At the 6-months-to-go date I was really surprised! where did the time go... but looking back that we're fairly organised too and we were trying to book one thing a month as we went along. So legalities are done, celebrant booked, venue sorted, photographer arranged, band and dj, my dress and shoes, cake. Chief bridesmaid just had a baby so will order bm dresses whenever she's ok with that. We want to get wedding rings soon, but will go to the jeweller who sold us my engagement ring so that's KINDA sorted as well. OOh I;ve been looking at DIY invites online and found some that are lovely so that's probably good to go soon too.

All that's left is suits for the lads and flowers. I know the flowers I'd like (v simple and in season) so that should be grand as well. Regarding the suits... I was gonna suggest the lads all go to a suit hire place, but a friend told me that she and her OH went together and picked the style they were both happy with. All the men were delighted to just be told what to wear! Is that how people normally do it? Also, we aren't 100% whether we even want the guys to all be the same anyway...

Optional stuff for us is: car and videographer. We're having ceremony and reception in the same place so car seems dispensible as no-one really sees it anyway. Plenty of people we know have DIY-ed it and had friends/family drive them. If we can afford it, a video would be great but won't stress about it till we've a better idea of total expenses

Phew!
    Dortilolma- can I ask about the timing of your invites, is March not very early? We were thinking May/June but maybe Save the Dates in Feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭AoifeCork

Don't forget those ceremony musicians!! ;) Very very important!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Dortilolma

pooch90 wrote: »
    Phew!
    Dortilolma- can I ask about the timing of your invites, is March not very early? We were thinking May/June but maybe Save the Dates in Feb.

It is early but we have people coming from a long way. Also I'm designing the invites and I feel if I aim to have them done by March they should be done by May ;)

Oh good, you threw me a bit on that one!
    Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

Just over 6 months to go for me.
    Outstanding is:
    MoH dress
    Suits
    Shoes & accessories
    Compiling music to play
    Transport
    Ladies toilet goodies
    Alterations to my dress which will start next month
    Invites ( was going to do DIY) but think I will get the same style as our save the dates

Everything else is booked :) decides on our honeymoon today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Ms2011

11 weeks for me.

Mine & my bridesmaid's dresses alterations need to be done.
    OH, bestman & pageboy's suits to sort.
    Hair & make-up trials to booked.

Hen's is in 6 weeks....I'm sure there's something I'm forgetting to do & starting to get butterflies :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭kc83

I'm 8 months......oh my god......only realized ha Ha!! My brother and uncle just recently offered to play at the church , I've DJ , venue sorted, have to do all the paperwork though and register etc
    Pre marriage course next week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭cmbutterfly45

I've 9 weeks left!!!
    Am really starting to get nervous/ excited now!
    Have still to organise
    Honeymoon
    Church decor
    Bathroom baskets
    Favors ( haven't decided to do or not yet)
    Hair trial
    Going to send invites in about 2 weeks
    Boys have to get suit fittings
    Table plan

And a million small bits :)

What's a bathroom basket??

Ms2011 wrote: »
    What's a bathroom basket??

They're baskets filled with little essentials that ladies may need on day, deodorant, hair clips, plasters, fem products, ect

I dreamt last night that it was the big day and had left loads of stuff till the last minute! was never so glad to wake up and realise it's still January!

stinkle wrote: »
    I dreamt last night that it was the big day and had left loads of stuff till the last minute! was never so glad to wake up and realise it's still January!

Lol nightmare!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

I'm getting married at the end of the year. We're doing the legalities overseas, just the two of us - a sort of "Weddingmoon" if you'll forgive the awful portmanteau. I don't have much to organise - our travel agent will book our flights, accomodation, insurance and wedding for us. I just need to contact the resort later in the year to confirm the wedding plans and book a place in the beauty salon. I'll buy a nice white beach dress for the wedding and that's all my planning done.

We'll have a party when we get back so I just need to book a venue, send out invites (which I will make myself), make some music playlists and book a hair & makeup artist to come to my house. I feel very relaxed about the whole thing to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭grainuaile

I have 8 weeks left :O
    still to do:
    Dress fittings
    Bm alterations if necessary
    confirm flowers
    meet with photographer
    Cake - doing it myself like an eejit
    mens shoes & cufflinks
    Menu tasting
    Favours
    Invites!!!
    Finalise ceremony music
    order of service
    Drink reception music
    cd for during meal
    table plan
    survive the hen

MOTHER.OF.GOD :O

Had my dress fitting on Tuesday & hair/make up trials today...it's all getting very real.
    8 weeks to go!!!

jeweller called today to say the rings are ready. yippee! hair and make u trial on sat and have started on the bridesmaid clothes. ceremony musician is sorted too, now to plan the ceremony!

Met with my wedding co-ordinater today & ironed out how the day will (hopefully) go. We were on the same page about everything so I'm feeling like a weight's been lifted.
    Only other things left to do now really is organise the meal & cake tastings.
    Hen's in a week & a half & wedding a month after that, can't believe how fast it's closing in!!

We found out on Saturday evening that our wedding co-ordinator has quit. We're meeting with her tomorrow before she finishes up with the hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭LNH666

We are June, and I think we have all the big stuff sorted. Just sending invitations and the dreading RSVP wait to go now. Didn't do a "save the date" so sending invitations early(ish) March.
    January -will someone else step in from the hotel or what happens now?

January wrote: »
    We found out on Saturday evening that our wedding co-ordinator has quit. We're meeting with her tomorrow before she finishes up with the hotel.

Hope your meeting goes well and it dosnt affect any of your plans!

How did your meeting go?? Feels so real going though it all, hope the co-ordinator leaving doesn't effect things for you.

• Advertisement

How did your meeting go?? Feels so real going though it all, hope the co-ordinator leaving doesn't effect things for you.

Not too bad at all. They don't have a replacement just yet but she went through absolutely everything with us and made sure to write it down in the file and sign it. She also threw in a free filled Candy Cart for us. She really is fantastic at her job, sad to see her go.

Not too bad at all. They don't have a replacement just yet but she went through absolutely everything with us and made sure to write it down in the file and sign it. She also threw in a free filled Candy Cart for us. She really is fantastic at her job, sad to see her go.

Wow, wouldn't mind getting a candy cart for free, ours cost €150 :eek:

I know! She asked us if we were going to do anything like that and my mam (always great to bring the bull dog...) said that we were but we'd be doing it ourselves and she said 'well, tell you what, we have one here so we'll provide it filled free of charge'... Nice one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

I did mine for €60, candyfloss and all

Boombastic wrote: »
    I did mine for €60, candyfloss and all

Yeah I could probably do it myself for less but to be quite honest I couldn't be bothered with the hassle :o

Yeah I could probably do it myself for less but to be quite honest I couldn't be bothered with the hassle :o

I love doing things like that, although I'll probably regret it lol, I'll tell you in 3 weeks :eek:

• Advertisement

I love doing things like that, although I'll probably regret it lol, I'll tell you in 3 weeks :eek:

Yeah I've done a few bits myself like the ceremony booklets & the place cards but I drew the line at the candy cart :D

Yeah I've done a few bits myself like the ceremony booklets & the place cards but I drew the line at the candy cart :D

lol, I drew the line at place cards and table plans..not going to do those at all :)

only trouble doing the candy myself is I keep eating it

only trouble doing the candy myself is I keep eating it

Yeah I could see myself having that problem too, then I'd have to be sown into my dress :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

Nye 2014 bride here.

have all the big things done, venue booked, church booked, band booked, dj in progress.

Bridemaids dresses ordered, hair booked and make up artist booked (pending a trial).

We are not doing a save the date but have already told everybody that will be attending.

Have a quote for invites, and photographer is being gifted by a bridesmaid(the photographer is her very close friend and friend fo mine is charging a fraction of usual cost)

Other than that we are just saving like mad and I am working on losing wieght and getting healthier. Gone from a 20 to an 18 since Christmas.

For my dress I am going to wait untill June ( give my myslef and chance to lose a bit more wieght) and I will try on dresses in town, hopefully find something I llike and try and source something from light in the box or dhgate.com - a fraction of what you will pay in town!!

The mens suits are priced already and the hotel have bumped up the their wedding packages so now some of the food for the afters is included in the package we are going for , at the same price!

We are doing a james bond theme, and have already a few bits from amazon to do this.

Also will be getting glowsticks and funny hats etc from cheap chinese websites for the disco part.

Even though we already have the bank booked - they are well known and quite good, we went to see them last night and they are brill. We booked them via a a friend whose brother is in the band so they not charging extra for NYE(would have been an extra 500!!!)

And a friends mam is doing the cake, again at fraction of the usual cost.

Birdie086 wrote: »
    Nye 2014 bride here.

have all the big things done, venue booked, church booked, band booked, dj in progress.

Bridemaids dresses ordered, hair booked and make up artist booked (pending a trial).

We are not doing a save the date but have already told everybody that will be attending.

Have a quote for invites, and photographer is being gifted by a bridesmaid(the photographer is her very close friend and friend fo mine is charging a fraction of usual cost)

Other than that we are just saving like mad and I am working on losing wieght and getting healthier. Gone from a 20 to an 18 since Christmas.

For my dress I am going to wait untill June ( give my myslef and chance to lose a bit more wieght) and I will try on dresses in town, hopefully find something I llike and try and source something from light in the box or dhgate.com - a fraction of what you will pay in town!!

The mens suits are priced already and the hotel have bumped up the their wedding packages so now some of the food for the afters is included in the package we are going for , at the same price!

We are doing a james bond theme, and have already a few bits from amazon to do this.

Also will be getting glowsticks and funny hats etc from cheap chinese websites for the disco part.

Even though we already have the bank booked - they are well known and quite good, we went to see them last night and they are brill. We booked them via a a friend whose brother is in the band so they not charging extra for NYE(would have been an extra 500!!!)

And a friends mam is doing the cake, again at fraction of the usual cost.

Wooo New Years Eve :D Actually cannot wait. I've found a lot of the suppliers I've contacted don't charge extra for the day which is fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

January, we were orginally going to book for the 30th, we just assumed it would be extra for NYE, it was the lady we met at the hotel who filled us in on the fact it wouldnt cost extra, by the way she is operations manger in the hotel and far better than their wedding coordinator!!

She has been at the hotel(Clarion in Limerick) since it opened and is very passionate about her work.

How did you get on with your hotel, I see your wedding coordinator is leaving. Do you still have confidence in the hotel? If they do weddings regularly I wouldnt be too worried.

Birdie086 wrote: »
    January, we were orginally going to book for the 30th, we just assumed it would be extra for NYE, it was the lady we met at the hotel who filled us in on the fact it wouldnt cost extra, by the way she is operations manger in the hotel and far better than their wedding coordinator!!

She has been at the hotel(Clarion in Limerick) since it opened and is very passionate about her work.

How did you get on with your hotel, I see your wedding coordinator is leaving. Do you still have confidence in the hotel? If they do weddings regularly I wouldnt be too worried.

I was expecting extra for NYE too but when she told me it was the same price I was delighted.

We got on great, she was supposed to finish up yesterday but she forwarded our updated contract to us just there a few minutes ago so she's obviously just trying to fix up the loose ends before she leaves. I still have confidence in the hotel so we have no worries.

Just back from my meal tasting, everything was soooo good, have very little to critic :)

Hen's was two weeks ago & an absolutely brilliant night, had no voice for 3 days after :D

3 weeks tomorrow....!!!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Sept Groom here. I've done the lions share of the work so far, except the dresses of course.

Nothing left to do except shoes, tasting, send out invites in mid July, buy gifts and prepare favours.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Misticles wrote: »

Ladies toilet goodies

:confused:

Edit: I just read back and saw someone asked this already..

Where do we put these baskets? Are they for general guests or do they go in the Bridal Suite for the Bridal Party or both??

My God, I thought I had everything covered... eek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

^They go into the ballroom toilets for guests. I wouldn't bother with them tbh

I would put in the baskets tbh, I've been caught out at a wedding where tape of a specific nature stopped doing its job.
    Had to scour the hotel for something to stay secure in dress, in the end finally found a sewing kit.
    For this reason, I am putting swing kit, plasters, hair clips, deodorant, hygiene products, toothpicks etc in bathrooms. All easily gotten in €2 shops.

Went to collect my dress today from getting it taking up & it was too tight to close :eek:
    Haven't put on any extra weight so dunno what's going on, anyway had to leave it there to be let out a bit, thought I'd be home & dry today where the dress was concerned:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Went to collect my dress today from getting it taking up & it was too tight to close :eek:
    Haven't put on any extra weight so dunno what's going on, anyway had to leave it there to be let out a bit, thought I'd be home & dry today where the dress was concerned:rolleyes:

We went to try our BM dresses at the weekend and they are too tight :mad:
    Sister has lost a stone and a half and I have lost half a stone but both of us have put at inch on the waist and hips! :eek: Mind boggles!

Seamstress said she will let them out and then work from there!

agh, I just left mine into dressmakers on Friday, here's hoping it'll fit ok when I get it back! Ordered BM dresses finally, the lads are sorting suits at weekend.

We've got our tasting evening and will get to chat to the wedding co-ordinator too, so I'm making a list of questions to ask. Obv we signed a contract ages back and didnt bother with too much haggling at the time, but of course things come to light - is it reasonable for us to mention stuff like that now or suck it up? We aren't 100% about DIY-ing the wine, so corkage needs to be enquired about. My only gripe with the venue is they dont offer a menu choice unless you pay extra. It was my number 1 "if we can afford it" extra, but really we're all still only getting the one dinner! If anything, I'd rather pay for extra canapes instead. Also, food-wise, we're getting basic evening food in our package (sambos/cocktail sausages/ta and coffee), is there any need for extras there?

Our invites came on Friday. I DIY'ed them on a template site but I rather stupidly forgot to leave a space to write the guests names on, but I think it's all good. They read just fine and we'll be seeing most people as hand delivering as many as possible.

• Advertisement
Advertisement