Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can sky tv be streamed through the xbox without need for a sky box

Options
  • 02-01-2014 1:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭

I have recently hooked up my xbox back up because I couldnt get my surround sound working with my other media player, but the xbox works perfectly. I'm not much of a gamer anymore but am impressed at the media player capabilities. Anyway, I was browsing the apps available on xbox and there is a sky app on which I can get sky news only at the moment, but there are other channels that I cant get its asking for my sky customer number, which I dont have as I dont subscribe to sky. Can I subscribe to sky though the xbox only and not have a seperate sky box??
    If this is more suited to sky forum (if there is one) feel free to move it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

bmwguy wrote: »
    I have recently hooked up my xbox back up because I couldnt get my surround sound working with my other media player, but the xbox works perfectly. I'm not much of a gamer anymore but am impressed at the media player capabilities. Anyway, I was browsing the apps available on xbox and there is a sky app on which I can get sky news only at the moment, but there are other channels that I cant get its asking for my sky customer number, which I dont have as I dont subscribe to sky. Can I subscribe to sky though the xbox only and not have a seperate sky box??
    If this is more suited to sky forum (if there is one) feel free to move it

If you know someone comfortable with giving you their access/PW to their sky go subscription then go for it, you can use their sky on your Xbox if you get what I mean - you would need to pay for Xbox Live Gold to use the service though, which can be got cheap on adverts afaik....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 Commander Shepard

Yea just use someone's log in details

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

You can sub through the Xbox directly via this new "now tv" app but it costs something like a £10 for 24 hours of access.

Otherwise you need access to some form of normal sky tv sub i.e. any friends/relations who have sky tv and don't have 2 other devices associated to their account? if they give you their skyid and password you can log in and the Xbox becomes 1 of those permitted devices, happy days. As mentioned above, you will need a xbl gold sub for it to work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

Thanks, I have Xbox live gold but don't know anyone to ask for a password and account details, think I'll subscribe but would have been nice I could have paid someone half their monthly fee!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭brianeoc

Hi There, did you manage to get the sky app working with your xbox. I can't find the sky app anywhere on my Xbox 360. Any ideas on where to find it?
    Thanks
    B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭Masala

Hi... question for all.

Friend upgraded to new Xbox ONE and gave me his old 360 as possible spares for my son's 360 ....cables, HD etc.

Son is on Xbox Live and uses Sky Go to watch movies etc in his room.

My question - can I share son's Xbox Live account to hook this other 360 up in the kitchen and watch Sky Go?? he not too keen to let me in on this Xbox stuff....scared of 'Lag' he says!!!

I do not have a Sky TV package but I did purchase a Sky Go Monthly ticket which allows me to watch tv on my Xbox and/or computer.

Unfortunately Sky Go can only be registered for use on one Xbox 360 as far I am aware.

Hi All,

I just found out why I couldn't see the Sky app on my Xbox. My region was set to US. I had to set this to Ireland and it will take a week for the Irish apps to show. I was currently only seeing US available apps.

Just thought I'd let ye know in case someone else had this problem.

Cheers
    Brian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

How much did sky go monthly ticket cost you? Do you have a link for that? I haven't actually done anything about this yet, just want it in time for Heineken cup quarter finals in April. Do you get RTE on sky go too?

I have a Sky TV subscription and it's free with that on two devices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Masala wrote: »
    Hi... question for all.

Friend upgraded to new Xbox ONE and gave me his old 360 as possible spares for my son's 360 ....cables, HD etc.

Son is on Xbox Live and uses Sky Go to watch movies etc in his room.

My question - can I share son's Xbox Live account to hook this other 360 up in the kitchen and watch Sky Go?? he not too keen to let me in on this Xbox stuff....scared of 'Lag' he says!!!
    One profile can be on one xbox 360 and an xbox one.

There is only a problem with having a profile on two of either of those. I can't speak to how much lag there'll be from your using Sky, but you can get it to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Pushtrak wrote: »

There is only a problem with having a profile on two of either of those. I can't speak to how much lag there'll be from your using Sky, but you can get it to work.

Is sky go on the xbox one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

nope unfortunately not

I was just saying that one profile can be on one 360 and one One, so him using the 360 for Sky, and his son using the One for whatever will work.

Unfortunately - we have ended up with 2 x Xbox 360's. He has a 360 in his room and I wanted to put a 360 in kitchen and run Sky Go off it. But you are saying that his Xbox Live subs is restricted to his 360 and I cant use his Xbox live on the kitchen 360???

That's a bummer...

@bmwguy,

Sky Go Monthly Ticket £15 for the Entertainment pack (so around €17)
    Costs more if you want access to the sports and movies

I will see if I can find a link but it may take a while as Sky have the monthly ticket option hidden very well on their website; you really have to go digging as they don't actively advertise it either. I guess this is because they would rather you purchase a full tv package with Sky box from them.

@bmwguy, (and anyone else that might be interested)

Here is the link: http://www.sky.com/ireland/tv/sky-go/

Scroll about half way down the page and look for "Find out how to get Sky Go without Sky TV in your home"

Then click to see the different options, channels and prices. (RTE is not included though I'm afraid)

The good thing about the monthly ticket is you are not commiting to a long contract with Sky and if you want to cancel you can do so by turning off the auto-renewal option within your payments account.

Unfortunately - we have ended up with 2 x Xbox 360's. He has a 360 in his room and I wanted to put a 360 in kitchen and run Sky Go off it. But you are saying that his Xbox Live subs is restricted to his 360 and I cant use his Xbox live on the kitchen 360???

That's a bummer...
    You can't both run it at the same time, but here's what you should do. Put his profile on a memory stick. When he's using it, just plug it in his console, and when he's not you use it in the other one. Yeah, it isn't both of ye using it simultaneously, but its something.

You can't both run it at the same time, but here's what you should do. Put
    his profile on a memory stick. When he's using it, just plug it in his console,
    and when he's not you use it in the other one. Yeah, it isn't both of ye using
    it simultaneously, but its something

Decided to set up 'the kitchen' with a NEW xbox live account. The Son will organise it on weekend.

He says that I will get a 1 x Month Gold FREE on new account setup and then could buy the 12 months subs from CDKEYS etc!

Question: Is Netflix FREE on Xbox. I was paying €6.99 thru my WD Live Box.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

Decided to set up 'the kitchen' with a NEW xbox live account. The Son will organise it on weekend.

He says that I will get a 1 x Month Gold FREE on new account setup and then could buy the 12 months subs from CDKEYS etc!

Question: Is Netflix FREE on Xbox. I was paying €6.99 thru my WD Live Box.

Each xbox 360 allows you to create three 1 month free xbox live profiles. So if your xbox is new then you might have 3 months on there. Just create a new profile after your xbox live runs out on one.

However, you can only use SkyGo on one computer and one xbox throughout the month unless it's been changed in the last few months so you'll need two SkyGo accounts.

No Netflix is €6.99 on xbox also and needs xbox live gold to work.

• Advertisement

However, you can only use SkyGo on one computer and one xbox throughout the month unless it's been changed in the last few months so you'll need two SkyGo accounts.

Thanks for that - but see earlier quote from earlier poster..

Otherwise you need access to some form of normal sky tv sub i.e. any
    friends/relations who have sky tv and don't have 2 other devices associated to their account?

so - 2 devices can be 2 x Xbox 360's??? I can delete the Iphone App off my Iphone to get teh spare 360 on instead.

An Xbox live Sub of €30 per yr is cheaper than Sky Multiroom at €15 per month! Appreciate that I lose a number of channels and feature - but I only want to access the Sports and Movies that I am subscribed to anyway.

Ok... just to keep you all updated.

Re-formated the 2nd Xbox and got set up with new profile. Got got the Sky App downloaded but cant continue til I subscribe to Xbox Live.

Now looking for a 24/48 hr Xbox Live sub to test it out....

If anyone has a spare that they could give me - would be appreciated.

Thanks

PS....would Xtravision give me a 24hr 'sample' of Xbox Live?? Is there such a thing even??

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭gotthebug

Ok... just to keep you all updated.

Re-formated the 2nd Xbox and got set up with new profile. Got got the Sky App downloaded but cant continue til I subscribe to Xbox Live.

Now looking for a 24/48 hr Xbox Live sub to test it out....

If anyone has a spare that they could give me - would be appreciated.

Thanks

PS....would Xtravision give me a 24hr 'sample' of Xbox Live?? Is there such a thing even??
    Hav a code pm if still looking

Hey all

Just to update you....got a 7-days code from Gottenbug above (High 5 for that!) and am up and running.

I reformatted the Xbox HD. Then downloaded my profile again. The entered the Xbox Live code. Then downloaded the Sky App and I was up and running.

Loads of Movies for me to choice from - which suits me when banished to Kitchen while rest watch X-Factor and other such drivel in sitting room.

The channels are quite good - not the full suite (no BBC or RTE) but I see there is an RTE Player app - and I can get the Soaps thru that I think.

Will keep at it for next 7 days and then invest €30 in a 12 month code.

Chuffed with myself in getting it working.....and saving €15 a month on Sky multiroom!!! WHoohoo

Advertisement