Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Diving/Simulation

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I choose to believe the guy that presents Match of the Day, the same guy who dressed up as Britney Spears.
    The same guy who once shat on the pitch.
    Gary Love. I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

So Guzan said he asked Suarez if he'd touched him, and Suarez said he didn't know. If he didn't know why did he drop like he was shot and look for a pen other than he was trying to con the ref?

Was expecting another 5 pages on this dive :)

Bloody foreigners with their diving and play acting...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

rarnes1 wrote: »

Bloody foreigners with their diving and play acting...

I don't see anyone defending that either

matrim wrote: »
    I don't see anyone defending that either

There's divers at every club.

Sometimes you wouldn't think it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Why? It wasn't prolific and didn't lead to anything (like a penalty). It also happened in a smaller game on a Monday night. You know full well why there's no discussion on it, so stop pretending otherwise.

Januzaj leading the way this season, quite a way to go to catch the leader Bale who's way out in front.

article-2532542-1A61C90D00000578-949_306x298.jpg
    Adnan Januzaj has become the second most booked player in the EPL after his yellow card for diving against Tottenham Hotspurs on Wednesday. The 18-year old has just 14 PL appearances in his debut season as a first teamer at Manchester United but has already picked up 3 yellow cards for simulation.

Why? It wasn't prolific and didn't lead to anything (like a penalty). It also happened in a smaller game on a Monday night. You know full well why there's no discussion on it, so stop pretending otherwise.

Don't upset the Everton fans!

Hey, it was tongue in cheek somewhat.

Didn't see much attention in the media about it either mind you

Don't upset the Everton fans!

Hey, it was tongue in cheek somewhat.

Didn't see much attention in the media about it either mind you

Because it was a nothing incident. Nothing happened, no goals were scored, nobody was sent off etc.

Because it was a nothing incident. Nothing happened, no goals were scored, nobody was sent off etc.

So it only warrents discussion when it leads to something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

What annoys me more than diving is fans biased opinions about dives. Loads of players dive, sometimes is quite impressive, its almost a skill. Not admirable, but still. :pac:

That chart with Januzaj is crazy for the little amount of appearances he's had. I think two of them were blatant, the third not so much, but arguments for either side. He's young though hopefully he'll stop... or get better at it.

So it only warrents discussion when it leads to something?

Warrants doesn't even come into it, of course people are only going to discuss it when it leads to something. Nobody cares about that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

noodler wrote: »
    It was a clear dive.

My fellow Liverpool fans doing themselves no favours denying it.

Clear dive ? How do you work that one out ?

It was case of Suarez going down easily and exgarrating the contact . That isn't a dive in my eyes . Guzan gave Suarez an excuse to go down . Any player in suarezs shoes would have gone to ground .

Clear dive ? How do you work that one out ?

It was case of Suarez going down easily and exgarrating the contact . That isn't a dive in my eyes . Guzan gave Suarez an excuse to go down . Any player in suarezs shoes would have gone to ground .

If there's not enough contact to send him down, it is a dive by definition.

If there's not enough contact to send him down, it is a dive by definition.

It isn't a dive there is contact . A dive by definition is someone going to ground without being fouled . It was called going down easy . A lot of players go down easily now .

It isn't a dive there is contact . A dive by definition is someone going to ground without being fouled . It was called going down easy . A lot of players go down easily now .

Yes, but contact doesn't necessarily mean a foul. Like in Guzan's case. There's contact, but nowhere near enough to bring Suarez down, so it's a dive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Of course it can be a dive if there's contact! Where has this line of thinking come from?

It's a sad view of modern sportsmanship if this is what it's come to, if anyone can believe this is true. If someone touches you it's fair game to cheat.

(I didn't see the Suarez incident, so not commenting on that)

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

I am all for a debate on diving etc, but why was there not the equal amount of outrage with the more recent (no contact) dives from other PL players in the past few weeks?

elefant wrote: »
    Of course it can be a dive if there's contact! Where has this line of thinking come from?

It's a sad view of modern sportsmanship if this is what it's come to, if anyone can believe this is true. If someone touches you it's fair game to cheat.

(I didn't see the Suarez incident, so not commenting on that)

The reason you have to go down spectacularly when you are fouled is to get your penalty or free kick . I don't think you can call it diving when there is a foul commited . So I think you do need to go down easily at times to get your decision .
    If a player is fouled inside the box unless he goes to ground he won't get a penalty . That's why a lot of players go to ground easily now .

• Advertisement

Agueroooo wrote: »
    I am all for a debate on diving etc, but why was there not the equal amount of outrage with the more recent (no contact) dives from other PL players in the past few weeks?

Suarez is the best player in the league. Ronaldo used to get the same attention when he was at it. Both are foreign too so the english tabloids jump on it.

The reason you have to go down spectacularly when you are fouled is to get your penalty or free kick . I don't think you can call it diving when there is a foul commited . So I think you do need to go down easily at times to get your decision .
    If a player is fouled inside the box unless he goes to ground he won't get a penalty . That's why a lot of players go to ground easily now .

It wasn't a foul though. Contact does not necessarily mean a foul, or there'd be a thousand fouls per game.

It wasn't a foul though. Contact does not necessarily mean a foul, or there'd be a thousand fouls per game.

So an ex pro referee and all the pundits call it as a penalty and you don't think it's a foul . I had a villa fan beside me in the pub on Saturday night and he said Guzan was foolish for rushing out like that because 9 out of 10 times a keeper rushing out an making even the most minimal of contact will result in a penalty being awarded .

So an ex pro referee and all the pundits call it as a penalty and you don't think it's a foul . I had a villa fan beside me in the pub on Saturday night and he said Guzan was foolish for rushing out like that because 9 out of 10 times a keeper rushing out an making even the most minimal of contact will result in a penalty being awarded .

I've actually seen the pundits to be fairly split. And an MOTD poll (although it's hardly perfect) had it 2 to 1 as a dive. It was foolish, and it may result in a penalty being awarded, but it's still a dive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Why can't people distinguish between Guzan being an absolute tool and Guzan fouling him...

Unsubbing from this thread anyway, Liverpool fans acting paranoid as **** again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

BMJD wrote: »
    Are we going to protect players from reckless challenges too or are we just looking to get one up on Luis? He gets lumped out of it in pretty much every match but not a lot of people seem to be bothered about that for one reason or another.

derb_foul_2743838a.jpg

Bad challenge, agreed by all I think.

Back to the simulation, anyone remember this sending off, later rescinded. It's in his dna.

rodwell00bkl.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Why were none of the Liverpool fans defending Januzaj and the rest when they were booked for it instead of just bringing up the amount of yellows he's gotten? It only seems to be justifiable when somebody on your own team does it and opinions seem to change by the week based on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Don't you know football is a non-contact sport?!

irishmover wrote: »
    Don't you know football is a non-contact sport?!

Some people here actually believe it.

Guzan asked Suarez after the game "was there contact" Suarez replied "I don't know".

Simulation. Straight from the horses mouth. End of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

every fan of every team would call a penalty if it were their player in this case (suarez v villa) to claim otherwise is nonsense

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

barone wrote: »
    every fan of every team would call a penalty if it were their player in this case (suarez v villa) to claim otherwise is nonsense
    Of course they will look for it. Admitting that it was the wrong call and they got away with one is another story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

You'd see it if there were people in here saying it was a definite free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Diving apologists drag the game down

Football will be lost if it follows Neville and Carragher's moral compass

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/diving-apologists-drag-the-game-down-29938474.html

Can't paste the full article anymore as per the rules but glad to see some people can still call a spade a spade. Probably more appropriate to post in the Liverpool thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

noodler wrote: »
    Diving apologists drag the game down

Football will be lost if it follows Neville and Carragher's moral compass

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/diving-apologists-drag-the-game-down-29938474.html

Can't paste the full article anymore as per the rules but glad to see some people can still call a spade a spade. Probably more appropriate to post in the Liverpool thread.

I would debate that it's the most over scrutinised aspect of football tbh for what it is. Tough tacklers get away with some very bad tackles like Rafael did last week, the players they are tackling get away with going down easy or anticipating contact. Where the problem arises is people not being able to accept that someone on their team dives and making it a tit for tat oneupmanship contest. 'Rooney dives' 'yeah well look at Gerrard'. I'm guilty of it myself but have tried to stay away from getting into those types of arguments as they lead nowhere and ignore the actual issue at hand.

Suarez is hardly any worse, if at all, than anyone else. It's just that when anything happens involving him it's like pro wrestling.

Again with the making excuses but inconsistencies in refereeing make a lot of dives necessary, even if they don't explain the whinging on the ground afterwards. If Suarez had run into the keeper as he apparently should have he could've been criticised for "leaving the boot it". Henderson for Liverpool a month or 2 ago was hit with a disgraceful tackle in the first minute of a game and was anonymous for the rest of it. Gary Neville admitted United used to go out with the intention of "leaving one on" the Arsenal players in every tackle.

As long as the time on the camera, the intensity in the lead-up and the general flow of the game influence referees so much it'll keep happening. If an Arsenal player put the ball past someone in the 18-yard-box and felt contact and didn't go down (unless there was a clear shot following) I'd give out. I don't think 'keepers rushing from their line should be an instant yellow card but sliding into a player's path is at least idiotic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Suarez is hardly any worse, if at all, than anyone else. It's just that when anything happens involving him it's like pro wrestling.

Again with the making excuses but inconsistencies in refereeing make a lot of dives necessary, even if they don't explain the whinging on the ground afterwards. If Suarez had run into the keeper as he apparently should have he could've been criticised for "leaving the boot it". Henderson for Liverpool a month or 2 ago was hit with a disgraceful tackle in the first minute of a game and was anonymous for the rest of it. Gary Neville admitted United used to go out with the intention of "leaving one on" the Arsenal players in every tackle.

As long as the time on the camera, the intensity in the lead-up and the general flow of the game influence referees so much it'll keep happening. If an Arsenal player put the ball past someone in the 18-yard-box and felt contact and didn't go down (unless there was a clear shot following) I'd give out. I don't think 'keepers rushing from their line should be an instant yellow card but sliding into a player's path is at least idiotic.

In fairness, I think Suarez does be a bit more theatrical with contact than some, and it doesn't help him at times. I don't have anything particularly against him, but a lot of tackles, both ones that are fouls and aren't fouls, he does have a tendency to flail his arms and legs and cringe his face at the contact or non contact.

I don't like Suarez but I can see where people are coming from that the media over do things regarding him. If this here was Suarez the world of football would be demanding a ban. Shocking.

EntireLastDodobird.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I don't like Suarez but I can see where people are coming from that the media over do things regarding him. If this here was Suarez the world of football would be demanding a ban. Shocking.

EntireLastDodobird.gif

What was that? Sure it was probably a free from the spurs player but should have then been a yellow for the Newcastle player for simulation.

But as has been mentioned before about other incidents, nobody is defending it. If that was Surez you would probably have a bunch of people on saying there was contact and it was clever play to draw the refs attention to it.

matrim wrote: »
    What was that? Sure it was probably a free from the spurs player but should have then been a yellow for the Newcastle player for simulation.

But as has been mentioned before about other incidents, nobody is defending it. If that was Surez you would probably have a bunch of people on saying there was contact and it was clever play to draw the refs attention to it.

Thats it really. It was a silly challenge, high foot. A free kick. Made a complete meal of it for absolutely no real reason and then rolled around injured afterwards. There's been Spurs players who've done it in the past, it's just the latest one I've seen and an excellent example of simulation aswell.

I suppose you're right. We would see people defending Suarez if it was him aswell. But it would mostly just come from Liverpool fans. SO maybe I should have said 'the world of football (except Liverpool fans) would be up in arms for Suarez to be banned'!! Which I'm sure they would and the FA would probably take retrospective action aswell.

• Advertisement

"If that was Suarez..."
    If I had a euro for every time I heard that phrase...
    Enough with this victim mentality please :rolleyes:
    He dives, play acts, rolls around like a dropped sausage, rival fans will get pissed off with it. Get over it.
    There wouldn't be half as much outrage towards him on here if people just accepted that instead of arguing "There was contact, look at this still image I have found on RAWK from a spectators 0.6mp camera in row Z"

"If that was Suarez..."
    He dives, play acts, rolls around like a dropped sausage, rival fans will get pissed off with it. Get over it.
    There wouldn't be half as much outrage towards him on here if people just accepted that instead of arguing "There was contact, look at this still image I have found on RAWK from a spectators 0.6mp camera in row Z"

Love the hatred.

You take things way too seriously.

The victim bit is classy.

Good.

look if you're going to go around dropping scummy comments then don't expect an intellectual debate in return.

now here is another funny gif

funny-face-guys-smiley-emoticon.gif

I find this scummy....
    Enough with this victim mentality please rolleyes.png

and its very hard to take it out of context.

that is my personal opinion.
    not drama lama
    no Mr Sensitive
    no pissy precious pants

any regular follower of football will know when, and what context the 'victim' card is pulled , and sung about.

it was (again imo) a badly vaguely disguised pop, and there was so many other ways to get the point across.

gone way off topic so last words to you(s)

I find this scummy....

and its very hard to take it out of context.

that is my personal opinion.
    not drama lama
    no Mr Sensitive
    no pissy precious pants

any regular follower of football will know when, and what context the 'victim' card is pulled , and sung about.

it was (again imo) a badly vaguely disguised pop, and there was so many other ways to get the point across.

gone way off topic so last words to you(s)
    I'm talking about Suarez and how it's always someone else's fault, ref, opposition player whatever. Then when someone gets away with something... "if that was Suarez..."

That's all I meant, so you can shove your opinion wherever it fits.
    How dare you or anybody else attribute it to something else.

Do you want the word victim banned from the soccer forum? Or just for United fans? Or just me?
    Bizarre.

last word was for you but seeing you asked a question....
    Do you want the word victim banned from the soccer forum? Or just for United fans? Or just me?
    Bizarre.

I have no clue what you are on about tbh...who said anything about wanting specific words not to be used?
    My point was clearly not about just one word.

I have no clue what you are on about tbh.
    Pretty simple questions tbh.

Pram overturned, toys all over the place.

Back on track

soccer-dives-ronaldo.gif

soccer-dives.gif

soccer-dive-neymar.gif

soccer-dives-is-he-buying-it.gif

"If that was Suarez..."

I don't like Suarez one bit. Despise him and his cheating ways. However that dive I posted by Debuchy was bloody terrible. None of you would have known about it unless I posted it. Have you seen it mentioned in any media outlets?

Unfortunately the simple fact is if Suarez had done that exact same thing it would have made back pages and Sky Sports would have had experts in for lengthy discussions about it. The FA would have been forced to take retrospective action and so on.

• Advertisement

I don't like Suarez one bit. Despise him and his cheating ways. However that dive I posted by Debuchy was bloody terrible. None of you would have known about it unless I posted it. Have you seen it mentioned in any media outlets?

Unfortunately the simple fact is if Suarez had done that exact same thing it would have made back pages and Sky Sports would have had experts in for lengthy discussions about it. The FA would have been forced to take retrospective action and so on.
    And my point is he has brought it on himself. He is a wet dream for the likes of Sky, if he behaved himself from day 1 of his Premier league career he wouldn't be getting the stick he gets. He came with a reputation and he has continued with it.

There's some people linking Diego Costa with United, I don't see it happening but if it did, I can guarantee you would see the same scenario playing out.

Advertisement