Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop tv

Options
  • 02-01-2014 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

If I want to watch something on my tv from my laptop I use a HDMI cable.

Is there a way I can do the opposite ? I don't want to stream I want to transfer what's on my tv to my laptop. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Lennyzip

Is there a way I can do the opposite ? I don't want to stream I want to transfer what's on my tv to my laptop. Thanks

I'd assume you woukd need a tv tuner card on your laptop to start off with . But I'm sure there are alternative ways of doing it with external periphery devices .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

With you not wanting to stream the regular chanels from the web, you can get a tuner card / usb dongle thingimybobs which can receive TV - limited to that which they can receive (different models will support different types of TV transmission - Saorview, Satelite, etc...).

Alternatively, you can set up server in your house to stream over your local LAN (wireless or wired). Something like the tvheadend project would do this (i'm hoping to try this out later in the year with xbmc tuning into it).

The difference with this as opposed to streaming over the web is that you are receiving locally over traditional means (receiver antanae of some description, saorview, satalite, etc), and distribution to your laptop over local LAN as opposed to pulling down certain feeds from the internet like aertv.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭sdowling04

Nearly positive the HDMI slot on a laptop is a HDMI out so you cannot stream content into the HDMI slot :(

Advertisement