Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glenalbyn pool closure

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭greenbicycle

oh, thats really disappointing, I hope it gets fixed soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Dinging

Allegedly the council have no monies or want to fix this pool. The pool itself is effectively land locked within Kilmacud Crokes GAA ground and from what I have heard the council would sooner demolish the pool and sell the land to Crokes. All hearsay so let's see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Cllr Barry Saul re meeting last night:

"At tonight's meeting all local councillors across all parties fully supported the proposal to push forward with a full rebuild of Glenalbyn pool.
    Glenalbyn which started off as a community co operative pool is at the centre of community life in Stillorgan.

I have met and listened to the many emails,story's and passionate views about the future of Glenalbyn.

A motion was passed by all local councillors that we should proceed with a major investment of just under 10 million to secure the future of this community facility.

It was agreed to come back to the March meeting with concrete proposals to move forward.

A proposal to produce a report to look at where pools should be situated in the county will not go ahead thus any fear of moving away from the Glenalbyn site has not been remove pending approval of deal for access to the site from Kilmacud Crokes.

If anyone would like to meet me or discuss any questions about tonight's meeting drop me a line 0879115043."

Source

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Any updates on this? Have they started construction? Is there a possible reopening time frame?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Deedsie wrote: »
    Any updates on this? Have they started construction? Is there a possible reopening time frame?

Steady on there, all of that hot air from councillors was before last year's local elections. Its the unelected officials down in the county council buildings who really decide these things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

coylemj wrote: »
    Steady on there, all of that hot air from councillors was before last year's local elections. Its the unelected officials down in the county council buildings who really decide these things.

So basically no progress on it and no plan in place as to when construction might begin? Very hard to find any info online about it. I found a Facebook page. Closest pool in the area is meadowbrook?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Deedsie wrote: »
    So basically no progress on it and no plan in place as to when construction might begin? Very hard to find any info online about it. I found a Facebook page. Closest pool in the area is meadowbrook?

Loughlinstown or blue pool aren't a million miles away, really depends on where you are coming from. They are building a new pool in ballyogan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

There is a Public Meeting for "Re-open Glanalbyn Pool" at 8pm pm on Friday 13th February in the Glenalbyn Sports Club.

It's up on Stillorgan Village FB Page. Shane Ross has his name on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Is the gym open or is it closed like the pool?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Potential demographic spanner in the works - Stillorgan folk are too old (almost half >40) which may lead to the money being spent elsewhere....

Stillorgan’s ‘ageing population’ could scupper pool plans

The ageing status of the population of Stillorgan in south Dublin may scupper plans to spend €10 million on a public swimming pool.

Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council last year “ringfenced” the money to redevelop or rebuild the former Glenalbyn swimming pool, but said on Monday that a new “business case” report has warned of potential pitfalls in rushing into the developmen

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/stillorgan-s-ageing-population-could-scupper-pool-plans-1.2097422

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

By 2036, he said, 78 per cent of the population would be more than 40 years of age.
    I'm impressed that Mr Shakespeare can make such accurate projections about the area 21 years in advance, which no doubt will remain exactly as is during the next two decades. Also interesting to note that people over the age of 40 do not use swimming pools :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭spillit67

Maybe one way to avoid the area becoming like that is to invest in projects which attract families.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭ollaetta

We've reached a very bad place when much needed public amenity is abandoned on the ground of a questionable "business case". Not to mention how ageist the whole thing is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

ollaetta wrote: »
    We've reached a very bad place when much needed public amenity is abandoned on the ground of a questionable "business case". Not to mention how ageist the whole thing is.

Yeah cause spending money on things with poor business cases has worked brilliantly in the past.

Surely an attempt to figure out if people will actually use the facility is useful?

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/report-on-glenalbyn-pool-recommends-new-10m-facility-1.2354037

Latest report to the Council recommends spending €10M on a new pool and "community facility" at the existing site of the Stillorgan Library, instead of a redevelopment of the glenalbyn site.

Few thoughts:

Surely the library site will be too small to accommodate a pool, library, "community facility" (whatever that is), parking and a new access point (either to Lower Kilmacud Road or the N11 - if it's even possible to add a new junction to either of these roads?).

No surprises that Kilmacud Crokes raised objections to a redevelopment of the glenalbyn site as a new community sports facility; they are probably eying up acquiring the lands.

The report seems to suggest that the current glenalbyn site could be used as a community sports field. What's the point of more sports fields; surely a pool and sports centre located right next to Crokes is better for both the community and Crokes, rather than simply having an additional pitch beside Crokes, and the pool located a bit away in the village.

This strikes me as another example of a Council (not just DLRCC, a lot of Councils/public bodies are guilty of this) favouring a new landmark vanity project over a boring, but equally (if not more) effective alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Can't see how there would be space? The library site doesn't look that big. Definitely doesn't look like there will be a gym alongside the pool anyway :(

Can't see how there would be space? The library site doesn't look that big. Definitely doesn't look like there will be a gym alongside the pool anyway :(

They can build up or down. The library is more accessible via public transport. The existing site is hidden away and unless you go flooding for a pool you don't see it. I imagine the new pool will be much busier.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Awaaf

In the space of about 2 miles you have pools at Castlepark Dalkey, Blue Pool Monkstown, Newpark, St. Augustines and possibly a new Glenalbyn Pool. Not to mention other DLR pools, the various hotel and leisure centre pools. Are we going to be over pooled?

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭luketitz

Bad form from Crokes if the above is true. Shame, i used to love that pool!

Awaaf wrote: »
    In the space of about 2 miles you have pools at Castlepark Dalkey, Blue Pool Monkstown, Newpark, St. Augustines and possibly a new Glenalbyn Pool. Not to mention other DLR pools, the various hotel and leisure centre pools. Are we going to be over pooled?

No we won't be.

• Advertisement

https://dlrcoco.citizenspace.com/environment/report-of-the-stillorgan-leisure-working-group/consult_view

Here's the working group report. I've not had an opportunity to read it yet.

Submissions are being accepted until 2nd October.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

I see they have recommended a new build beside the N11, where the library and existing council houses are - cant see this getting planning approval - the traffic on the narrow access road would be a major obstacle and there is no capacity for direct access off the N11, or the "Blakes" road

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Why would that be a problem when the Council only has to apply for permission to itself?

It does seem an odd location for access and parking though.

Bumpity bump.

This is coming up for discussion at the next Council meeting on Monday (was supposed to be discussed in September but ran out of time - another month wasted...).

The Council have prepared a report comparing the 2 options (redevelop a pool at existing Glenalbyn site or new pool and community complex at existing Library site). I understand that the report recommends redevelopment at existing site (because of traffic and access issues at library site).

I'm in the Stillorgan ward so have emailed all my councillors asking them to vote in favour of the redevelopment so this matter can finally move on.

Advertisement