Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Physio

Options
  • 02-01-2014 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a good sports physio, have been out 12 weeks with a tendon tear and it doesn't seem to be healing:(. Was going to a normal physio and i just want a good second opinion from a more sports related physio if anyone can recommend. don't mind travelling if they are good but Dublin, Wicklow/Kildare is all good. Thanks alot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭pot p

Sports med Ireland on Kildare st. In Dublin. I dealt wit kieran and found him very good. Star Geoghagen in Carlow is also really good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Here are a few which would come highly recommended

http://www.ciaranmcdonagh.com/
    http://www.vinnymulveyfitness.com/

As mentioned above Star Geoghegan would also be excellent down just outside Carlow town. Please note though these are sports therapist's rather than sports physio's. In terms of treatment many would provide the same range of injury rehabilitation and treatment methods but for legal purposes it is important to state this fact as physiotherapy is a protected term in this country.

Having said that these three have experience working amongst the top athletes in the world.

Where in Dublin are you based people may be able to give you nearer recommendations (I am guessing Dublin/Wicklow would mean you are South Dublin based)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

ecoli wrote: »
    Here are a few which would come highly recommended

http://www.ciaranmcdonagh.com/
    http://www.vinnymulveyfitness.com/

As mentioned above Star Geoghegan would also be excellent down just outside Carlow town. Please note though these are sports therapist's rather than sports physio's. In terms of treatment many would provide the same range of injury rehabilitation and treatment methods but for legal purposes it is important to state this fact as physiotherapy is a protected term in this country.

Having said that these three have experience working amongst the top athletes in the world.

Where in Dublin are you based people may be able to give you nearer recommendations (I am guessing Dublin/Wicklow would mean you are South Dublin based)

May also mean one or two visits rather than a six month program of rehabilitation. None of which involves massage. Give me a sports therapist any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

Work in Dublin West, live in Kildare/Wicklow border. My other physio was in Carlow so once they are good i can travel. 12 weeks of no exercise, doesn't seem to be repairing and i'm at a point where i'm going mad now...just need someone who can try help repair or shed some more insight. Not sure if physio, dry needling etc. would help but someone who has a good bit of experience. Definitely an overuse injury. I want someone recommended as i don't want it aggrevated either.

JEmily wrote: »
    Work in Dublin West, live in Kildare/Wicklow border. My other physio was in Carlow so once they are good i can travel. 12 weeks of no exercise, doesn't seem to be repairing and i'm at a point where i'm going mad now...just need someone who can try help repair or shed some more insight. Not sure if physio, dry needling etc. would help but someone who has a good bit of experience. Definitely an overuse injury. I want someone recommended as i don't want it aggrevated either.

12 weeks without sign of improvement is definitely worth getting a second opinion alright. Mac would be probably be the nearest of the three so situated closest to your work place but I would be confident in getting treatments from any of the three (and have personally been treated by 2)
    tunney wrote: »
    May also mean one or two visits rather than a six month program of rehabilitation. None of which involves massage. Give me a sports therapist any day.

Without generalising I would tend to opt for sports therapy myself in my own treatments (and this has no bias due to doing it myself :D)

Having said that I know great practitioners across a wide range of fields - sports physio's, sports therapists, neuromuscluar therapists, osteopaths etc. I would not just look to the qualifications as you can get a good practitioner with less regarded qualifications just as easy as getting a bad practictioner coming from a more well regarded educational avenue. The main thing to look for is someone who has a track record in getting results hence why word of mouth is often the best indicator.

• Advertisement

ecoli wrote: »
    12 weeks without sign of improvement is definitely worth getting a second opinion alright. Mac would be probably be the nearest of the three so situated closest to your work place but I would be confident in getting treatments from any of the three (and have personally been treated by 2)

Without generalising I would tend to opt for sports therapy myself in my own treatments (and this has no bias due to doing it myself :D)

Having said that I know great practitioners across a wide range of fields - sports physio's, sports therapists, neuromuscluar therapists, osteopaths etc. I would not just look to the qualifications as you can get a good practitioner with less regarded qualifications just as easy as getting a bad practictioner coming from a more well regarded educational avenue. The main thing to look for is someone who has a track record in getting results hence why word of mouth is often the best indicator.

Thanks so much, wasn't sure if i was being a bit too harsh:rolleyes:. If you had to pick one - who? Want to get appointment asap so will call today. Sorry to put you on spot but nice to get a recommendation:)

JEmily wrote: »
    Thanks so much, wasn't sure if i was being a bit too harsh:rolleyes:. If you had to pick one - who? Want to get appointment asap so will call today. Sorry to put you on spot but nice to get a recommendation:)

PM Sent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭roseybear

No harm if u have health insurance to get an mri

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭roseybear

No harm if u have health insurance to get an mri

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭cart man

After several visits to different places to no avail I saw a recommendation on boards for a guy in Dundrum called Ciaran Fitzpatrick (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055474610) and he sorted me out in one visit. I would recommend him.

• Advertisement

Update: Went to http://www.vinnymulveyfitness.com/ and i have to say he was brilliant. I've been to him twice, and to be honest think that's it's for now. He's ruthless but won't give up until your back out running/exercising/right. I've had a nice jog on the injury and it looks like Vinny has me on the mend. For anyone looking for a good therapist fully recommend. Thanks ecoli for recommendation. P.S. I've sent 2 others to him and they are very happy too:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 born2run85

<snip>
    Smells of self promotion. Contact mods if otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

you have an unfortunate sport history, two posts on boards and two different long term injuries in shoulder and calves , not good.

what else do you do if you dont get sorted by physios?
    i have a good triathlon coach for you so you dont run into issues anymore ;-) ;-)

born2run85 wrote: »
    snip - as above

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

peter kern wrote: »
    you have an unfortunate sport history, two posts on boards and two different long term injuries in shoulder and calves , not good.

what else do you do if you dont get sorted by physios?
    i have a good triathlon coach for you so you dont run into issues anymore ;-) ;-)

What happens if the poster is male?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

dave do you happen to have this post on ST where you send a cry like a girl massage to rappster and described to him what poor things happend to you in your first im austria ... So even really tough guys on the internet like you that try to bully other people to feel good about themselves and overplay their fear by appearing tough on the net, break down before an Ironman.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 physiogeek

Ive gone to a fella in Carlow and he knows his stuff. Willie Power. Id recommend myself only that Im living in England!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 marc.callan

<snip> first post and it's a recommendation - no thanks

Advertisement