Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Griffith's Valuation / AskAboutIreland

• 02-01-2014 2:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭

anyone know what's going on with Griffith's Valuation on the AskAboutIreland website ?

There was a Maintenance message showing the last while, but that's changed to '..currently undergoing maintenance and performance upgrade. We anticipate it will be available again in a few weeks...'

sound like quite a big job... database or server problems ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

shanew wrote: »
    anyone know what's going on with Griffith's Valuation on the AskAboutIreland website ?

There was a Maintenance message showing the last while, but that's changed to '..currently undergoing maintenance and performance upgrade. We anticipate it will be available again in a few weeks...'

sound like quite a big job... database or server problems ?

It seems we're all at a loss shane. Maybe Claire Santry or one of the other main bloggers like J. Grenham may have some news within the next few days. Or you could e-mail one of them? Claire is usually up to speed with these things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Went to check for a point of contact for AskAboutIreland or email Claire this morning and see she has mentioned this in a post this morning - so will keep an eye out.

Even though there are other sources for Griffiths, the AskAboutIreland is by far the best free site for this since you can also search by placename and browse to the front of each book to check the exact publication date.. vital for confirming or ruling out timelines.

update from Claire's blog on this - she seems to know all the right people to talk to...

'I've spoken to the team behind AskAboutIreland today. No additional or enhanced material is being added to the Griffith's Valuation section of the site. The 'maintenance' downtime is needed while the system/program that runs the section undergoes a performance upgrade. A meeting will be held next week with the technical team to establish the necessary time schedule for this work to be carried out and it is hoped (but certainly not guaranteed) that it won't extend much beyond the end of this month.'

p.s. if it's MySql, Oracle or MS Sql Server, tell them I can give them a hand.. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Griffith's Valuation is still accessible on Findmypast.ie [for a fee].

Let's hope the free access via AskaboutIreland is reinstated and there's no underlying reason for taking it offline.

also a Free version with very basic details and no images on Failteromhat.com

• Advertisement

dates of completion of the valuation for each county in Chronological order here with source given as "Practical Guide to the Valuation of Rent in Ireland", James F. Fitzpatrick 1881. Also here on Wikiipedia

note the separate dates for some towns/cities and their counties - e.g. Co. Dublin 9 July 1853, Dublin city 31 Oct 1854

it's back, and apparently due for further improvements and some new/updated maps over the next while - from IGN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Is this site down again?

I tried to do a search just now and I'm getting the message 'connection error.' Nor could I search via county or barony. :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I just tried a search and nothing found so presumably they're having problems.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I got a similar data error last night, but all seems back to normal now..

• Advertisement
Advertisement