Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High tide flood warning issued Thursday to Sunday (Jan 2nd-5th)

Options
  • 02-01-2014 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭

The city council has issued a flood warning for today (Thursday) Friday Saturday & Sunday at high tides.

http://www.galwaycity.ie/GeneralNews/020114_01.html
    Flood Warning for Galway City on Thursday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday at High Tide- City Council Issues Advisory - Thursday, 2nd January 2014

Galway City Council is issuing an advisory regarding potential flooding on Thursday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday (2nd - 5th January 2014) at High Tide times. The critical times are Thursday at 5.42pm (5.38 m), Friday 6.00am (5.69m) & 6.30pm (5.39m), Saturday 6.48am (5.66m) & 7.18pm (5.29m) and Sunday morning at 7.36am (5.49m)

The areas most likely to be affected are along the Promenade in Salthill and Grattan Road and at Fishmarket, Spanish Arch. The public is advised to have regard for their safety, particularly at High Tide in these areas.

The area around Spanish Arch, Flood Street and Spanish Parade are at risk of flooding around high tide and businesses and residents in the area are advised to put floodgates and sand-bags in place in advance of high tide, particularly in advance of the 6.00am high tide on Friday morning.

The car park at Toft Park beside the Atlantaquarium is liable to flood again in the hours around high tide and motorists are advised not to leave their cars there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

There's also an amber alert in operation from Met Eireann for a storm tonight and heavy rain likely to result in flooding. Winds are expected to be similar to St Stephens night here which was a pretty bad night. Stay safe and take any necessary precautions.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,128 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Hopefully there wont be too much damage in the City. Can I ask any local residents if there is usually a flooding issue at inner Lough Atalia at The Huntsman Pub as there is a load of us Jackeens coming down for the rugby on Saturday evening at about the time of the high-tide warning and we dont want the cars to float away! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Hopefully there wont be too much damage in the City. Can I ask any local residents if there is usually a flooding issue at inner Lough Atalia at The Huntsman Pub as there is a load of us Jackeens coming down for the rugby on Saturday evening at about the time of the high-tide warning and we dont want the cars to float away! Thanks

Not that I know of, but if you're worried about it park in the official carpark at Galway Community College (across the junction from the huntsman) - it's on slightly higher ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

yowsa and this low looks mean, it'll be pushing a fair surge as well (infra-red satellite image from sat24.com)

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

just been down to Salthill for a look... public lighting / power is out in the village, Grattan Road and Lower Salthilll (Mortons shop junction) flooded, waves hitting Cocos at the bottom of Dalysfort Road, Leisureland potentially flooded, the park opposite is partially submerged... it's as wild as I've ever seen it. i have sincere pity for anyone affected by flooding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭RedPeppers

I hear Salthill is badly flooded this morning, anyone have more info, heading that way for work...

RedPeppers wrote: »
    I hear Salthill is badly flooded this morning, anyone have more info, heading that way for work...

take a look at Seapoint's webcam.... http://www.seapointleisure.ie/

Some pretty serious flooding this morning.

The prom from Blackrock to Seapoint, Fr Griffin Rd from GTI to the fire station, Spanish arch & the docks all flooded. Some pics of the above are on the Advertiser facebook page.

RedPeppers wrote: »

Say away from all costal areas at or around the times in the warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

There is a lot of damage in salthill. A lot of places closed due to flooding or damage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

There is a lot of damage in salthill. A lot of places closed due to flooding or damage

Any idea which ones I hear Leisureland got a bad going over, feel so sorry for anyone in business that has suffered or private homes that are damaged.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Any idea which ones I hear Leisureland got a bad going over, feel so sorry for anyone in business that has suffered or private homes that are damaged.

i was looking for a coffee. Gourmet tart mocha and coco all closed. The amusements beside mocha has its windows broken. The sign over mocha was gone. There is a fire engine diverting traffic up by the cop station so could not see leisureland but they are pumping water out from somewhere in that direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

i was looking for a coffee. Gourmet tart mocha and coco all closed. The amusements beside mocha has its windows broken. The sign over mocha was gone. There is a fire engine diverting traffic up by the cop station so could not see leisureland but they are pumping water out from somewhere in that direction.

Thanks for that I hear Leisureland is badly damaged and the promenade is also damaged, some pics on Galway Advertiser facebook, so sad for anyone flooded.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Spiddal prom and the lifeguard hut were torn up and washed on to the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Has anybody lost their water supply around the Mill Street/Canal area of the city? Not sure if it's storm related but it went during the night and hasn't come back yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Aquarium & Arabica pretty much ruined also. Galway Business School escaped bad damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Worst storm damage I can recall, or have ever heard of.

The roof of the house was literally shaking last night, which was very alarming.

Some photos here of storm damage in Galway and elsewhere. Lahinch looks as if it hit by an earthquake or tsunami.

More cars flooded in Salthill, bizarrely.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭buzz11

63A6B363B012433D964320C84A5A6519-0000346192-0003471520-00500L-447F6BB65B524ECABC70FFEFA0B9C547.jpg

9EE5A540504845BDB64EFCAA3226CD1A-0000346192-0003471519-00500L-EF7D69EFD40344229B330C4CE125D319.jpg

26BF3AC7C9654554A43D4B39E69B7ACB-0000346192-0003471521-00500L-BE93691603B747C08C1E05F8FC904494.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Despite the warnings and the damage last night there are loads of cars parked there again in the main car park. This pic was taken an hour ago!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/1540328_589621384443499_1494365316_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 45,490 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

zarquon wrote: »
    Despite the warnings and the damage last night there are loads of cars parked there again in the main car park. This pic was taken an hour ago!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/1540328_589621384443499_1494365316_o.jpg

Some people have little between their ears unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Some of those cars are far better than mine (for another half hour anyways).

Surely they can't have only been parked there today?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Theyve likely gone for a quick prom walk and know the tide isnt going to com in during their twenty minute walk. I hope.

ya I did not notice many cars there this morning when I passed. Its raining now. Anyone know what time high tide is? And is it expected to cause anymore damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

6:30 for high tide I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Yes, they were. The car park was empty this morning during the cleanup

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I think yis are all missing the key question here
    Has the Burrenmount survived?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

snubbleste wrote: »
    I think yis are all missing the key question here
    Has the Burrenmount survived?

I'm guessing that it will be tho one remaining structure if the apocalypse should descend... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

I'm guessing that it will be tho one remaining structure if the apocalypse should descend... :rolleyes:

...sort of like the old "cockroaches after a nuclear holocaust" cliché? :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 galwayguy2005

dont think it will flood is bad untill sunday night again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Does anyone know if new dock road was flooded - thanks.

Advertisement