Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog limping - pic of foot

• 02-01-2014 3:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    Not looking for medical advice just checking if anyone has seen this.
    My lad started limping after playing in the dog park the other day. He’s fine most of the time but it seems once he wakes from a sleep and goes to walk he will have a limp. I don’t think he’s in pain.. I’d rather not go to the vets if they are going to simply give him an anti inflammatory and send him on his way. (we have only recently got insured less than 14days ago but we are on temp cover).

It’s his front left, I can sort of see a bend at his ankle maybe because he has his weight off it. does this look funny to you?

XnI1nIN.jpg?1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

If he's not in pain why is he limping is what I'd be asking myself tbh? If you really don't want to take him to the vets then restrict him for a few days and see how he gets on. So no walks (or just short 5-10 mins on lead if he'll go stir crazy), no running/jumping/playing or anything that could potentially cause stress on the leg. I haven't said crate him because depending on how relaxed he is that mightn't be needed - eg last time my dog was injured I didn't need to crate him because he's so relaxed at home I knew he'd be ok.

I'd cut that dew claw too before it gets caught on something - that happened to my guy last year and he was in AGONY for the best part of a week - they had to cut it right back and the quick was exposed etc :(

I love his 'socks' btw :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

I plan on keeping him in for a few days (the sighing will be deafening) to see how he is. He'l be happy enough lying on the couch as usual. Hopefully it's just rest he needs, he parties hard in the dog park so would suspect he sprained or hyperextended his foot.

Will snip that claw later too, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Check to see if anything is caught between his paws causing a bit of discomfort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

If hes only limping after sleeping that would indicate 'stiffness' I would have thought. If hes limping when hes taken for a walk that would indicate soreness somewhere in the leg - maybe a bang/knock or pulled something when at the dog park. Any heat/tenderness? As you say, see how a bit of rest helps after 2/3 days. If no improvement you will probably have to bring him to the vet to be checked. How old is he? A boxer?

Thanks,
    While walking he was fine, perhaps a little limp at the start which went away. he's 2 and yes a boxer.

no swelling or tenderness that i can see and he doesn't mind me looking at it. will see how it goes with a bit of rest till saturday then to the v€t if no improvement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

stoneill wrote: »
    Check to see if anything is caught between his paws causing a bit of discomfort.

This!

Hugo spent nearly 2 days with a slight limp and would still walk and run his usual route. I eventually had a proper close up look at his pads on his paws - a shard of glass had worked its way into his pad and was healing over it.

Luckily I got it out with a tweezers and disinfected the area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Hi all
    Not looking for medical advice just checking if anyone has seen this.
    My lad started limping after playing in the dog park the other day. He’s fine most of the time but it seems once he wakes from a sleep and goes to walk he will have a limp. I don’t think he’s in pain.. I’d rather not go to the vets if they are going to simply give him an anti inflammatory and send him on his way. (we have only recently got insured less than 14days ago but we are on temp cover).

It’s his front left, I can sort of see a bend at his ankle maybe because he has his weight off it. does this look funny to you?

XnI1nIN.jpg?1

Sometimes after my dog wakes up she can't put her foot on the ground. I rang the emergency ucd vet in a panic the first time it happened and they told me she just had a dead leg and it was the way she was she slept on it. Sure enough they were right! I reckon just rest your dog? maybe he over exerted himself in the dog park playing with other dogs? Avoid vet if possible because of temporary cover as insurance company will try and never pay out on anything to do with limbs in the future (some are unbelievable!).

Hey all.
    I just wanted to update this thread as it be of might help to other owners.

We attended the vet who identified that Harv's shoulder was the source of the problem, not his foot. He thought that he may have strained the muscle whilst in the dog park but with a bit of rest and painkillers he would be OK. The bend I had noticed on his ankle was him keeping weight off his right shoulder.

Over the following 2 weeks Harv was in a great deal of pain and showed no signs of improvement. He was depressed and generally uncomfortable all the time.We then agreed with the vet to carry out an x-ray and an injection on his shoulder. The injection did not have any effect and the x-ray should a growth on the bone in the shoulder socket.

You know where this is going. The insurance didn't come through for us to get an MRI done. The quick deterioration of health and increase in pain indicated strongly that it was a cancerous growth. Based on the advice from our vet and due to Harv being in extreme pain and taking around 6 painkillers a day we made the hardest decision imaginable.

We put Harv to sleep on 07/02/14. We love him and we'l miss him forever.

1377576_586229118091025_1729111335_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

My dog does that if he has been sleeping in the one position for a while, usually if he has his legs dangling off the stairs awkwardly, he limps because he has a dead leg lol.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

So sorry to hear that and he was such a young dog too. Terribly sad, you must be heartbroken.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

So awful to read that, Sean, my heart goes out to you; he looked like a lovely and much loved pet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Awww no!! Very sorry for your loss OP he was a beautiful dog! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Aww that's awful - so tough for you to lose such a beauty - (it was the last thing I expected to hear when reading the op)

Thanks guys.
    It was very hard to take and looking back when I started the thread I had no idea it would end up this way. From perfect to gone in one month.

Sunny days like this he would have been sleeping in the window and have the top of my couch flattened :rolleyes: . He was a great boy and my heart hurts everyday.

Advertisement