Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a car in 2014

Options
  • 02-01-2014 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi all, quick question for all those in the know about cars (i'm not to 'au fait' with them before we start!)

Looking to buy a second hand car, specifically a VK golf or a ford focus from around 2007. My budget as about 6200e,1.2-1.6 litre,<130,000 km. I have been keeping a close eye online for something of value, but not too much is jumping out at me unfortunately.

Should I just wait till something comes along or is it likely to come around with my price range etc? Can anybody recommend anywhere else to look out for something thats in my range?

Thanks in advance lads (and ladies)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

you'll be along time looking for a "vk golf" :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14 dubsmad

Maybe thats the reason i.m not having too much joy!! apoligies!!! 'VOLKSWAGEN'

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd say you will struggle to buy a decent 2007 Golf for €6200.

I'd be looking at the Hyundai i30 or Kia Ceed 1.4 litre petrol if I were in your shoes. They are a lot more nippy than a similar 1.4 litre Golf or Focus and also less likely to give you grief.

Hyundai i30:
    media?xwm=y&id=15128160&width=400&height=300
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Hyundai/i30/CLASSIC-1.4/201350220360947/

Kai Ceed:
    View2-19212023.jpeg
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/kia-ceed-1-4-ex-5dr/4900286

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

For €6200, Petrol and Manual you have lots of options from 2007 and up. The Golf may be a stretch however, they hold their value a little artificially in my opinion like the Yaris.

Cheers lads for the replys… Much appreciated

In terms of longevity would a golf be more reliable however if im looking to get a few years out of them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Actually I'd go back a year and look at something like this also:

media?xwm=y&id=6bc6a482-34e1-4688-a4f9-b7d013023f28&width=400&height=300
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Toyota/Corolla/1.4-LUNA/31113573299317580/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

dubsmad wrote: »
    Cheers lads for the replys… Much appreciated

In terms of longevity would a golf be more reliable however if im looking to get a few years out of them?

If your looking for a petrol car with reliability and longevity, then get something like what bazz has posted above(i30, cee'd, corolla) All three will give you very good reliability, good performance for their engine sizes and very good longevity due to good build quality.

A 1.4 petrol golf of the same vintage just doesn't compare. They are slow underpowered and the engine is soft.

Brilliant advice lads, I suppose im just thinking of the more popular 'brands' when mentioning golfs/focus. Thanks, I will broaden my search into some of the areas mentioned above

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

ironclaw wrote: »
    For €6200, Petrol and Manual you have lots of options from 2007 and up. The Golf may be a stretch however, they hold their value a little artificially in my opinion like the Yaris.

While these two do both hold their value, I'd say the Golf's value is a lot more artificial than the Yaris's.
    In other words I'd sooner spend the extra that a Yaris commands, than give away money for a Golf.

Although not really an issue here as the Op seems to be looking in the 'Focus' segment.

thanks for the help lads

much appreciated

• Advertisement
Advertisement