Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Summer Rumours/Predictions/Discussion Thread

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

The Libertines
    11am and next gig will be revealed right here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭HighClass

The Libertines

Any ideas what this is going to be? Warm up show in a venue I'm guessing.

HighClass wrote: »
    Any ideas what this is going to be? Warm up show in a venue I'm guessing.

Yea id say its the warm up show

• Registered Users Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Wait, what, Libertines playing in Ireland???

sheroman01 wrote: »
    Wait, what, Libertines playing in Ireland???

Nah :( Been announced for Benicassim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭sheroman01

HighClass wrote: »
    Nah :( Been announced for Benicassim.

Ah damn :(

Libertines warm up show has been announced, June 29th in Glasgow! Tickets on sale Friday and limited to two per person. Hopefully it doesn't sell out too quick and I can grab a pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

I see Blink 182 are due to announce more European dates.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/ontherecord/2014/06/19/is-kanye-west-this-summers-neil-diamond/
    There is no surer sign that the summer gigging season is in full swing than a rake of ads everywhere you look for some big show or other. It’s what we call the Neil Diamond effect, named after the desperate attempts to plug that singer’s big show at Lansdowne Road a few summers ago, which involved wall to wall ads every time you turned on the radio.

Looking at what’s set to be a busy summer in the parks and fields, it’s very easy to see which gigs are working and which ones are, well, not. The fact that you’re not being bombarded with ads for, say, the Arctic Monkeys and Kings of Leon shows at Marlay Park show that both shows are solid. Our sources indicate that both shows have shifted north of 40k tickets so everyone should be happy.

Meanwhile, the Arcade Fire and Pixies’ double-header at the same venue is chugging along, though there were still around 10k tickets to go for this last weekend per OTR’s sources, while the Macklemore’s day out in Dublin 16 will do the business based on the current tally.

But it’s the Kanye West show which is the real surprise here with only around 10k tickets sold as of last weekend per OTR’s sources. Hence why there are so many bus and radio ads for the show and why there will probably be more in the fortnight between now and the show on July 2. It seems that even the PR coup of having West honeymooning, mountainbiking and going to the cinema in Ireland (and the addition of Pharrell to the bill) has had little effect.

It turns out, as the promoter found last summer to their cost with Justin Timberlake in the Phoenix Park, that some audiences are just not up for schlepping around in a field to see their favourite act. Remember too that West, along with Jay Z on the Watch the Throne tour, was unable to sell out two nights at the O2 in 2012. He’s also never done a show of this scale before and his last album “Yeezus” didn’t exactly produce a string of hits. Celebrity fame, hubris and ambition won’t shift tickets for big gigs in big fields.

Marlay Park is also home to Longitude, the boutique indie and dance festival which had a very successful debut last summer. As of late last week, it had done around 5,000 weekend tickets, with day tickets for Saturday the best performer by far, thanks no doubt to the presence of Disclosure and Haim on the bill. Expect a lot of mentions of Ben Howard, the rather awful Bastille, Massive Attack and Jimmy Vinny Mack to get the show on the road for Friday and Sunday sales.

Meanwhile across the capital, there’s another big surprise when you look at sales for the upcoming shows in IMMA. Stil a lot of ground to cover here for Biffy Clyro and, strangely, Elbow, but the one that stands out a mile here is Paul Weller. Next Tuesday’s appearance by Weller at the venue has just not got any momentum whatsoever and ticket sales were less than 4k for it last weekend. You can expect to hear a lot of Weller on the radio – anyone who wants an interview will get two – and a lot of ticket giveaways for this one.

However, there is some good news for the gig promoting classes in the Ticketmaster dailies and that’s the pretty damn impressive performance by the Electric Picnic so far. They’ve already done over half the weekend tickets for the festival and we’re still some two months out before everyone decamps to Stradbally. You’d imagine from this figure that one of the reasons why the day tickets for Sunday have gone off sale is that they can get more cash by flogging the weekend ones. Certainly, this festival’s appeal for Irish punters hasn’t worn off yet.

some interesting bits in there. 5k for Longitude weekend tickets is pathetic really, although not that surprising given the relatively sh1t lineup. i'd say they're praying for another great weekend of sun this year too. IMMA sales must be pretty awful considering it's a small venue (10k i think?). Biffy Clyro sales showing once again that outdoor rock/metal gigs are generally a tough sell for promoters, hence so few acts being brought over.
    EP sales pretty good as expected..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

I plan on going to Weller, but I've noticed a lot of stuff being put out about this gig. Nova are playing the ad about him being the "Mod father" at every turn, while there are posters up from Parkgate Street to East Wall Road. Maybe I'd be better off waiting for the competitions to start rolling?!

• Advertisement

maybe even just ask promoters/sponsors on twitter a few days beforehand? met lots of people at Forbidden Fruit who got free tickets. friend of mine just put up "anyone got any freebies for Forbidden Fruit" the day before, and someone from Bulmers i think saw it, and put her name+1 down on the guestlist for a weekend ticket...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭bennyl10

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/ontherecord/2014/06/19/is-kanye-west-this-summers-neil-diamond/

some interesting bits in there. 5k for Longitude weekend tickets is pathetic really, although not that surprising given the relatively sh1t lineup. i'd say they're praying for another great weekend of sun this year too. IMMA sales must be pretty awful considering it's a small venue (10k i think?). Biffy Clyro sales showing once again that outdoor rock/metal gigs are generally a tough sell for promoters, hence so few acts being brought over.
    EP sales pretty good as expected..

Biffy selling the same as kanye so thats a pretty sweeping genralisation..
    From reading, the adding of you me at six has turned.off a lot of biffy fans and lots are planning on.the marquee show instead, myself included.

Green Day and Metallica sold a large portion of marlay park, and the killers and mumford sold a decet amount at phoenix park..
    We dont get massie acts from that genre playing here..

I stand by if we got the monunentour(fall .out boy and paramore) or a linkin park outdoor show itd sell very well.

Worrying enough for tickets as a whole though!

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Kanye has sold 10k.
    BC have "a lot of ground to cover" to get to 10k. (probably around 6k or so?)

bennyl10 wrote: »
    From reading, the adding of you me at six has turned.off a lot of biffy fans and lots are planning on.the marquee show instead, myself included.

Green Day and Metallica sold a large portion of marlay park, and the killers and mumford sold a decet amount at phoenix park..
    We dont get massie acts from that genre playing here..

I stand by if we got the monunentour(fall .out boy and paramore) or a linkin park outdoor show itd sell very well.

Worrying enough for tickets as a whole though!

Not sure about a Paramore/FOB tour doing well . If Green Day and Paramore could only **** 20,000 tickets for Marlay , but in saying that a Kilkmainham double headliner would sell out.

Linkin Park im not sure either , have not played Ireland since 2007/2008 but their new material hasnt done that well bar the 2 songs in Transformers.

With the Biffy Clyro thing aswell i they are also doing the Marquee and Belsonic with are 5000 capacity each

Im actually shocked about the Kanye/Pharell sales so far would have thought they would be a big one.

Im guessin Macklemore has probably about 20,000/25,000 so thats prob a break even point

Advertisement