Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mahon Point Shopping Centre

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

TheChizler wrote: »
    Work has been going on to remove all the mature trees from the land across from Supervalu on the Skehard Road. This is the narrowest point of the entire road and would be crucial if they were widening for a bus lane, the rest of the road is certainly wide enough at points prone to traffic. Anyone know if this is happening or is it some housing development? They've fenced off the section across from Maxol near the CSO as well, part of the same works? I could just look up the planning website...

It's road widening works but primarily focused on improving the junction at SuperValu and enhancing cycling/pedestrian infrastructure. A bus lane will extend from Church Road junction to the CSO.

Here's a copy of the plans:

Skehard Rd upgrade plans here

Frostybrew wrote: »
    Shane Ross has dropped hints that light rail will be an option for Cork. Apparently a Cork Transport Strategy is due out in February which will heavily focus on public transport solutions for Cork's traffic woes.

If this is a concrete proposal, it would be a huge boost to the Mahon Point area in terms of alleviating congestion issues.

http://www.corkindependent.com/news/topics/articles/2018/01/17/4150902-cork-light-rail-comments-positive/

Talk is cheap. When there is actual plans and more importantly money being put into this then it'll be a concrete proposal. For now it's just a comment by Shane Ross in the Dail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Are there actual plans to upgrade the N40 to a motorway or parts of it? I think it was mentioned a few pages back?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Shane Ross has dropped hints that light rail will be an option for Cork. Apparently a Cork Transport Strategy is due out in February which will heavily focus on public transport solutions for Cork's traffic woes.

If this is a concrete proposal, it would be a huge boost to the Mahon Point area in terms of alleviating congestion issues.

http://www.corkindependent.com/news/topics/articles/2018/01/17/4150902-cork-light-rail-comments-positive/
    BRT which can be upgraded to light rail. Which is the way to go imo:
    We all know that this is a project which will take many years to deliver, and would be delivered in a phased manner, but we should start planning now. We can begin with Bus Rapid Transport systems operating on the corridors where a rail line could then run. There are many examples of these type systems, such as in Eindhoven, this can be an achievable affordable first step in that direction."

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Are there actual plans to upgrade the N40 to a motorway or parts of it? I think it was mentioned a few pages back?

It's nothing major. There's €75k allocated in 2018 to redesignation to motorway classification. That'll literally cover the cost of changing the letter from N to M and changing the colour of the associated signs on the road from green to blue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Frostybrew

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Talk is cheap. When there is actual plans and more importantly money being put into this then it'll be a concrete proposal. For now it's just a comment by Shane Ross in the Dail.

Yes, my first thought was that it is going to be an election stunt. On further reflection I believe it's out of necessity as a reaction to Brexit. In effect the government has been forced into a policy change on matters across the board including planning and transport. What this means is less focus on a UK centric city (Dublin) and more focus on a euro centric one (Cork).

There has been funding allocated for re-designation. Not an upgrade as such, but the colour of the signs will change from green to blue and horses, cyclists, and tractors will be banned.
    snotboogie wrote: »
    BRT which can be upgraded to light rail. Which is the way to go imo:

That would be a positive step, but full light rail is essential due to the amount of planned development along the Mahon Point - Docklands - City Centre - Ballincollig corridor.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

It's nothing major. There's €75k allocated in 2018 to redesignation to motorway classification. That'll literally cover the cost of changing the letter from N to M and changing the colour of the associated signs on the road from green to blue.

In other words €75k down the drain...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Will this mean a change to the current speed limit?

Will this mean a change to the current speed limit?

Doubtful. Like the M50 it'll be 100kph I'd say. Mainly gets rid of tractors and cyclists off the road. There was a cyclist killed on the N40 in the last year or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

grogi wrote: »
    In other words €75k down the drain...

Not really. I’ve seen cyclists and very slow moving traffic causing huge tailbacks on this road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,315 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Doubtful. Like the M50 it'll be 100kph I'd say. Mainly gets rid of tractors and cyclists off the road. There was a cyclist killed on the N40 in the last year or so.

No it won't. Tractors if they can attain the required speed are still allowed, motorway or not.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Cork City Council seem to be fairly heavily pushing for some sort of rapid transit system in the city especially with the Docklands development on the way. It is simply not viable for this Docklands development to go ahead without some sort of rapid transit system in place given the scale of the development. Places like Mahon and Ballincollig at either end could do with it also to reduce dependence on cars. In addition to a need for better public transport service to places like UCC and CIT and the hospital area.

Regarding the N40, there are a number of reasons for the motorway reclassification. Work on the Dunkettle Interchange starts late 2018/early 2019 and after this is complete there will be freeflow from at least 1 motorway (the M8) through to the N40. It's possible the N25 may be redesignated the M25 when the planned Carrigtwohill-Midleton upgrade is done, and down the line when the DC/motorway continues to Youghal.

The N40 between J9 Bloomfield and the Dunkettle interchange is part of the TEN-T Core network and will need to be redesignated where possible also. Because the N28 out of Bloomfield is to become motorway shortly with the construction of the M28, the motorway restrictions would need to continue as far as at least Douglas West because the motorway east of there would be inescapable. If they are going to redesignate the N40 east of Douglas West they may was well do the rest of it. I would hope the N22 Ballincollig bypass mainline becomes M22 also. This would likely happen anyway when the DC is extended to Macroom sometime around 2030.

Not really. I’ve seen cyclists and very slow moving traffic causing huge tailbacks on this road.

Cyclist should be banned from that road in the last century... There are signs to do that without renaming the whole road... Motorway designation would not keep unaccompanied learners drivers from it either.

IMHO upgrade should be done with Dunkettle upgrade, there will be heaps of signs updated with this scheme too.

No it won't. Tractors if they can attain the required speed are still allowed, motorway or not.

What I mean is slow moving tractors like the ones regularly crawling along the N40 at 30kph or so. They are not allowed on motorways. Obviously if a vehicle reaches the minimum speed there's much less of a problem.

What I mean is slow moving tractors like the ones regularly crawling along the N40 at 30kph or so. They are not allowed on motorways. Obviously if a vehicle reaches the minimum speed there's much less of a problem.

They are allowed. AFAIK the vehicle needs to be able to reach 30 km/h, but there is no requirement to actually go above that.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

They are allowed. AFAIK the vehicle needs to be able to reach 30 km/h, but there is no requirement to actually go above that.
    It's 50km/h.

50kph

marno21 wrote: »
    Cork City Council seem to be fairly heavily pushing for some sort of rapid transit system in the city especially with the Docklands development on the way. It is simply not viable for this Docklands development to go ahead without some sort of rapid transit system in place given the scale of the development. Places like Mahon and Ballincollig at either end could do with it also to reduce dependence on cars. In addition to a need for better public transport service to places like UCC and CIT and the hospital area.

Regarding the N40, there are a number of reasons for the motorway reclassification. Work on the Dunkettle Interchange starts late 2018/early 2019 and after this is complete there will be freeflow from at least 1 motorway (the M8) through to the N40. It's possible the N25 may be redesignated the M25 when the planned Carrigtwohill-Midleton upgrade is done, and down the line when the DC/motorway continues to Youghal.

The N40 between J9 Bloomfield and the Dunkettle interchange is part of the TEN-T Core network and will need to be redesignated where possible also. Because the N28 out of Bloomfield is to become motorway shortly with the construction of the M28, the motorway restrictions would need to continue as far as at least Douglas West because the motorway east of there would be inescapable. If they are going to redesignate the N40 east of Douglas West they may was well do the rest of it. I would hope the N22 Ballincollig bypass mainline becomes M22 also. This would likely happen anyway when the DC is extended to Macroom sometime around 2030.

Sounds good. Possibly up to five new motorways for Cork in the medium term. Three from re-designation M40, M25, M22; two from construction M28, M20.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭snotboogie

marno21 wrote: »

Sounds good. Possibly up to five new motorways for Cork in the medium term. Three from re-designation M40, M25, M22; two from construction M28, M20.
    Needs a full ring road. Are we 20 years away?30?

snotboogie wrote: »
    Needs a full ring road. Are we 20 years away?30?

North Ring will be focus when the South Ring is complete. Focus in the last number of years has been on having at least one decent east west route, e.g sorting all those roundabouts.

Cork has a massive backlog of road needs including dualling of the N20, N22, N25, N28 and N71 and the North Ring. In terms of timeline:

2019 start on Dunkettle
    2021/2022 start on M28

Between 2021 and 2028:
    Mallow relief road
    M20
    N25 Carrigtwohill-Midleton
    N40 North Ring

M20 and North Ring are massive projects totalling about 1.3bn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭The White Feather

The main thing about Mahon Point is I wish they would at least be trying things to alleviate the problems even a little.

As we cant put a slip onto the main road maybe a slip from the upper car park to the road with the bus stops. Maybe put a timer and allow only a few cars at a time.Cars have to go right around and face roundabouts then lights to even get to the motorway.

OK, these ideas are probably useless but my point is they should be trying something

It seems to be like well, at busy times you are going to be stuck. Nothing we can do. I wouldn't have all the answers but at least try a few things.If northbound is busier at certain times then put one bore of one tunnel the opposite direction. I don't know. Just try something!

It bugs me when nothing is done and we have to accept things. If it makes things worse then chnge it back but at least try things as traffic at busy times is mental there rather than waiting for roadworks eventually that might help.

The main thing about Mahon Point is I wish they would at least be trying things to alleviate the problems even a little.

As we cant put a slip onto the main road maybe a slip from the upper car park to the road with the bus stops. Maybe put a timer and allow only a few cars at a time.Cars have to go right around and face roundabouts then lights to even get to the motorway.

OK, these ideas are probably useless but my point is they should be trying something

It seems to be like well, at busy times you are going to be stuck. Nothing we can do. I wouldn't have all the answers but at least try a few things.If northbound is busier at certain times then put one bore of one tunnel the opposite direction. I don't know. Just try something!

It bugs me when nothing is done and we have to accept things. If it makes things worse then chnge it back but at least try things as traffic at busy times is mental there rather than waiting for roadworks eventually that might help.

The "something" is to encourage viable alternatives to the motor car. More bus routes, higher frequencies, LRT or BRT, vastly improved cycling facilities. These are the little changes that need to be in place.

Though the bus service has improved, with the bus gate and the extension of the 202 and 219, there's a lot more to be done. For example, the 219 should at least be a half hour service with normal running hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,315 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Yes they are allowed if their design speed meets/exceeds the motorway min speed, like it or not. Yes there is dawdling obviously esp. drawing heavy loads, but without the Gardaí to pull them over, caution or fine them what are you going to do??
    Really what is happening for the most part is that some contractors are using tractors for the haulage work that was previously done by trucks, no need for drivers holding truck licences or commercial vehicle testing (tractors are not tested!)

Advertisement