Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mahon Point Shopping Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Paul st is good, north main street multistory is good value too. I've warned people off the grand parade parking place, they should be parking the car for you at those rates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Overhyped imitation of a US 'mall'. Don't know why people seem to think it's the only show in Cork and wait for ages in backed up traffic queues. Mind you, I'm not a major purchaser of sweat shop produced 'designer' goods.

LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Paul st is good, north main street multistory is good value too. I've warned people off the grand parade parking place, they should be parking the car for you at those rates.

The one over on the other side of the quays from the Opera House (Karls Quay?) is really pricy too!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

That's also run by q park along with the city hall and st finbarrs,grand parade is by far and away the most expensive though,that 1.20 per 20 mins is only the first 2 hours.It goes to 3.30 per hour after,i got caught for 10.50 for 2 hrs 10 mins before Christmas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

SeaFields wrote: »
    Get one of those dial in parking disks for the windscreen.

What's this, some kind of toll tag?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

rovoagho wrote: »
    What's this, some kind of toll tag?
    parkmagic
    https://bookings.parkmagic.net/pmui/website/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Are they acceptable in Cork City? Looking at the website it seems to apply to places where you pay for parking with the machines. Cork city is parking disc only and has limits on how long you can park in an area for (usually 1 hour). You can't just buy a new parking disc or top up in this case to stay another hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

bee06 wrote: »
    Are they acceptable in Cork City? Looking at the website it seems to apply to places where you pay for parking with the machines. Cork city is parking disc only and has limits on how long you can park in an area for (usually 1 hour). You can't just buy a new parking disc or top up in this case to stay another hour.

They work great in Cork. You can use the ParkMagic app as well.

That's true about not being able to just renew the spot, you're supposed to move streets once your time's up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

TheChizler wrote: »

That's true about not being able to just renew the spot, you're supposed to move streets once your time's up.

Great, I'll have to check it out. I'm never organised enough to have parking disc when I need them!

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Jimmy Bottles

Anyone know what the future development plans for Mahon Point were.

I remember reading when it opened that the place was designed so that another arcade of shops could be built onto the present premises if things were going well enough for the place.

• Advertisement

TheChizler wrote: »

it's never refused to accept my renewing after time up :-)

plus, it recognizes the 2 hr area's, as well, so you don't over pay

Its called parkmagic.
    You basically enter a 4 digit code displayed on the parking sign and either enter it on their automated phone service or, use their app on your smartphone.

There is a barcode sticker on your window that is scanned by parking wardens to check you're paid and valid.

They're have a QR code scanner in the app, so I guess you'll be and to scan a QR code on the parking sign soon.

If you can't find a code, just use 1999 which is the generic one and the time limit displayed on the sign is applicable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

According to city council website, you dont have to move but can extend your parking.

I have often done this for another couple of hours. I've never had a problem.

As i said earlier, well its not as cheap as Mahon Point (I.E. free!) but it does offer a cheap alternative to the multistories in the city for short term parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭clerk

ofcork wrote: »
    That's also run by q park along with the city hall and st finbarrs,grand parade is by far and away the most expensive though,that 1.20 per 20 mins is only the first 2 hours.It goes to 3.30 per hour after,i got caught for 10.50 for 2 hrs 10 mins before Christmas.

that's an outrageous price !!!! :eek:

No wonder Mahon Point is mobbed all the time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Thanks to the people that answered my question. Any idea how much the 0818 call costs?

rovoagho wrote: »
    Thanks to the people that answered my question. Any idea how much the 0818 call costs?
    its free on my bill pay package, but it's 20 seconds call
    voda have it as mobile to land line cost, it's not a premium number

Just get their app. Then you can do it all online without any calls

Check play store and AppStore for park magic

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Man I hate the place. The last time I was there is took 3 1/4 of an hour to get out, went in their today and the utter muppetness of people in the car park got me so pied off I drove out.. Does anyone have any car park etiquette between driving the wrong way in lanes, parking like their cars are tanks or just parking wherever they want.. allergic that's it tis over

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

I was only once ever at the place, Can't see the draw..
    Especially with all the problems listed in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

CB19Kevo wrote: »
    I was only once ever at the place, Can't see the draw..
    Especially with all the problems listed in this thread.

If only parking in the city was cheaper, we could all avail of the City. Mahon Point is awful!! Loud, bright and so warm - Not a place for family fun!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Yep they have ruined town with the parking such a shame, would much prefer to go there than MP..They will never get it right

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

well with the way the weather is at the moment people will use mahon. if the weather is ok I prefer to into town early on a sunday to get the on street parking for free. there is a better choice of shops in town than mahon.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Henry94

Reviving the city centre should be the top priority. Much more parking around the edge with the middle pedestrianised. Out of town centre's have a role but the city should be allowed to compete.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Milly33 wrote: »
    Man I hate the place. The last time I was there is took 3 1/4 of an hour to get out, went in their today and the utter muppetness of people in the car park got me so pied off I drove out.. Does anyone have any car park etiquette between driving the wrong way in lanes, parking like their cars are tanks or just parking wherever they want.. allergic that's it tis over
    :eek:
    Such awful planning. There are lots of offices in the area too. People who work in them and who just want to go home after work are caught up in the gridlock. Christmas is a nightmare, especially with "Cork on Arse" thrown into the mix.

I far prefer the city centre. More buzz and plenty of quirky shops and of course the English Market. Lots of nice cafes and bars to relax in. The only appeal MP holds is that it keeps the rain off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Henry94 wrote: »
    Reviving the city centre should be the top priority. Much more parking around the edge with the middle pedestrianised. Out of town centre's have a role but the city should be allowed to compete.

There is plenty already pedestrianised. I think sometimes people only consider themselves as the healthy twenty-thirty year olds they are currently are, and forget they were ever small children, or that they could ever get old or injured. Small children, heavily pregnant women, the elderly, or the disabled should not get kicked out of town because they can't walk as far as you can.

Also, carrying goods around a city is a pain. (like bags of fruit and veg, a cake, or anything fragile or bulky you buy) When there is adequate on-street parking, people can pop in and out frequently and do little errands. This keeps smaller one-off shops going with a nice rolling trade. When you strip away the access to those, you are left with massive multinational soul-less blobs which basically absorb losses behind of running at city center rates where people browse for hours and buy nothing, just to have a flagship presence.

Some pedestrianisation is great, creates atmosphere on streets with cafes and tables.... but excessive pedestrianisation destroys the day to day trade of a city.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-21418768

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭phatmanwc

Milly33 wrote: »
    Yep they have ruined town with the parking such a shame, would much prefer to go there than MP..They will never get it right

For anyone with city centre parking issues (who doesn't have mobility/accessibility requirements), have you tried the Park and Ride? Honestly, there seems to be an aversion to it, but I wouldn't use anything else these days.

€5 a day for a vehicle, including the bus into town, which runs every 15 minutes, and takes a straight run in the South Link. It honestly couldn't be simpler. No dealing with gridlock on the Grand Parade or along the quays come 5.30, and no mini-heart attack when you pop your ticket into the QPark machine :p

It's obviously not going to suit everyone, but for me it makes a trip into town a breeze! I just think it's an option a lot of people don't even consider, and probably would use quite frequently if they gave it a go...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

phatmanwc wrote: »
    For anyone with city centre parking issues (who doesn't have mobility/accessibility requirements), have you tried the Park and Ride? Honestly, there seems to be an aversion to it, but I wouldn't use anything else these days.

€5 a day for a vehicle, including the bus into town, which runs every 15 minutes, and takes a straight run in the South Link. It honestly couldn't be simpler. No dealing with gridlock on the Grand Parade or along the quays come 5.30, and no mini-heart attack when you pop your ticket into the QPark machine :p

It's obviously not going to suit everyone, but for me it makes a trip into town a breeze! I just think it's an option a lot of people don't even consider, and probably would use quite frequently if they gave it a go...

The Park & Ride is bloody handy and I use is all the time. It's even better when you've a full car heading in for Christmas Shopping. Parking for a fiver with no time limit. I usually chuckle when I see the massive queues for the multi-story's after I use the Black Ash Park & Ride

• Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

+1. I love the Park and Ride. It eliminates a lot of stress.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

+1 on the Park & Ride, such a great service you wouldn't believe the city council actually operate it :D
    We always use it for any time we (as a family) head into town (which is quite rare however).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

They need a park and ride on the other approaches to the city as well,im sure they would do well.

Advertisement