Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mahon Point Shopping Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Was this work done by the council or City gate/JCD? Just wondering as I thought the original plan talked about a number of year sago was to have 4 lanes (2 in both direction) from the CSO to St Michael's Drive.

There is no way council employees did this job, it was done way too quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

TheChizler wrote: »
    Got I hope not!

Ignore what I said about the second left turn fixing anything; today people were still driving straight from the left in St. Michael's drive to the right going towards MP, ignoring the completely empty lane on the left. Infuriating madness.

If anything I could see traffic slowing coming from St Michael's drive (when traffic is heavy) because those coming from CSI will have the right of way on both lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

cork_south wrote: »
    If anything I could see traffic slowing coming from St Michael's drive (when traffic is heavy) because those coming from CSI will have the right of way on both lanes.

That's my worry as well. Hopefully they put down markings or barriers to prevent them cutting across immediately at the junction.

I say this from the selfish point of view of someone coming from St. Michael' Drive...

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

TheChizler wrote: »
    That's my worry as well. Hopefully they put down markings or barriers to prevent them cutting across immediately at the junction.

I say this from the selfish point of view of someone coming from St. Michael' Drive...

I'd be coming from CSI side so if I see you will leave you out :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Any documentation on the full plan here - read the article from the previous page - was glad to see the plan here is to get a dedicated bus lane as imo this lane only spreads the traffic - getting busses in this area a dedicated lane will be huge - particularly from City Gate going towards Skehard Rd. - the stops at Maxol & SuperValu are particularly troublesome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭SkySter

Just another thing to mention is that the "temporary" car park next to the National Software Centre has been closed for a few weeks now.

This is having a clear effect on the volume of traffic emerging from St Michaels Drive onto the main rd in the evenings in particular. Therefore it may be too early to say the extra filter lane is having a major impact.

I recall I saw a planning retention notice for the car park a few months back so things could regress unless someone can tell me otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

SkySter wrote: »
    Just another thing to mention is that the "temporary" car park next to the National Software Centre has been closed for a few weeks now.

This is having a clear effect on the volume of traffic emerging from St Michaels Drive onto the main rd in the evenings in particular. Therefore it may be too early to say the extra filter lane is having a major impact.

I recall I saw a planning retention notice for the car park a few months back so things could regress unless someone can tell me otherwise.

I'm assuming the cars that parked there are now in the overflow car park in Mahon Point as thats been very busy recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭SkySter

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I'm assuming the cars that parked there are now in the overflow car park in Mahon Point as thats been very busy recently.

Yes I've noticed a few more cars over there all right. I simply can't fathom how planning was granted for all these additional buildings without adequate parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

SkySter wrote: »
    Yes I've noticed a few more cars over there all right. I simply can't fathom how planning was granted for all these additional buildings without adequate parking.

I can just imagine that it seemed like appropriate parking for the proposed floor area, but it turned out you can put twice as much desks inside... People are squeezed in inside those offices like sardines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

They are using St Michaels GAA ground as a car park for EMC, they have a shuttle bus running up and down.

• Advertisement

xabi wrote: »
    Sounds like they will be putting lights in, was that in the plan?

And it looks like they are installing traffic lights at this junction at the minute.

Ya, seems to be the plan alright.

Although I think the lights are needed to some degree as I've seen workers crossing at the junction and theres been a close call or two.

Although I think the lights are needed to some degree as I've seen workers crossing at the junction and theres been a close call or two.

Fella stood in the middle of that road the other day with cars whizzing by him either side and the dumbest fúcking grin on his face - reduce the speed limit to 40 & put in a pedestrian crossing there and you'd that in turn would allow cars to leave from the Citygate side imo

D'Agger wrote: »
    Fella stood in the middle of that road the other day with cars whizzing by him either side and the dumbest fúcking grin on his face - reduce the speed limit to 40 & put in a pedestrian crossing there and you'd that in turn would allow cars to leave from the Citygate side imo

Its hard to see what would be the best option.

A zebra crossing, during the heavoest traffic and people leaving work could lead to the road barely moving with the workers crossing the road.

On the other hand, depending on how long the light sequence is that they're going to put in, it could delay the traffic flow even more down the Skehard Road which is a mess at the best of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

The illegal car park has been dismantled

Lights will work if they are sequenced properly and changed to match the traffic rate / time of day. Time will tell.

Where was the illegal carpark?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

What will happen to that land now?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,666 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

xabi wrote: »
    Where was the illegal carpark?

Was it where Cork on Ice is?

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Was it where Cork on Ice is?

No, one site to the west from the NSC.

Are there plans to alleviate the large parking problem in the area?

I'd much rather see public funds be spent on attempting to provide some sort of cover for the strained parking infrastructure in the area than being sank into looking into why a GAA club is facilitating a local company in getting over this clear problem.

So far as I can tell, the solution should be: fúck Cork on ice, build a multi Story car park here to service the shopping centre & the CityGate developments. I get that's wishful thinking but it's clear as day something needs to be done here sooner rather than later.

Are there plans to alleviate the large parking problem in the area?

I'd much rather see public funds be spent on attempting to provide some sort of cover for the strained parking infrastructure in the area than being sank into looking into why a GAA club is facilitating a local company in getting over this clear problem.

So far as I can tell, the solution should be: fúck Cork on ice, build a multi Story car park here to service the shopping centre & the CityGate developments. I get that's wishful thinking but it's clear as day something needs to be done here sooner rather than later.

Don't forget about http://www.citygateplaza.ie/... They plan to secure "mind blowing" 670 parking spaces for it...

If in total they have 300 000 sq ft, and we take a generous average of 300 sq ft per office worker, gives us 1000 people... 670 AGAIN IS NOT ENOUGH!

grogi wrote: »
    Don't forget about http://www.citygateplaza.ie/... They plan to secure "mind blowing" 670 parking spaces for it...

If in total they have 300 000 sq ft, and we take a generous average of 300 sq ft per office worker, gives us 1000 people... 670 AGAIN IS NOT ENOUGH!

In the artist mock up of the new development, they're showing a junction with traffic lights just after the CSO, which puts lights a few hundred feet after the Skehard road junction and also a few hundred feet from the new lights going in by the City Gate junction.

Its going to be mayhem down there soon enough, they could really do with the road being wider from the Skehard road junction, 2 lanes going to Mahon Point with the left one going into the new developments and joining up with where they've already widen the road by City Gate but I dont think theres enough room to carry out that kind of work.

Classic developer scam build an office block to cater for x number of people and only enough parking for about 50%. Then charge companies a premium for these sought after spaces. Over flow will naturally park in nearby in residential area may also block entrances or park illegally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Classic developer scam build an office block to cater for x number of people and only enough parking for about 50%. Then charge companies a premium for these sought after spaces. Over flow will naturally park in nearby in residential area may also block entrances or park illegally.

Ah now, surely not everyone working there will drive solo? We shouldn't be providing 1000's of car spaces and just clogging up all the roads. Talk about getting the policy arseways. Even in the places I work out in remote industrial zones there isn't the need for 100% employee spaces.
    Development should push more public transport, more frequent reliable buses. There are some cycle facilities there, and as you said, some local residential, so people might be able to walk over.

Do you see the citygate equivalents in London with 1000 car spaces? To feck you do. City dwellers shouldn't even need a car. It's the advantage of living and working in a city.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

The clampers will be rubbing their hands with glee. The retail park have APCOA rottweilers for a while now. :mad:

I don't work in City gate thankfully (and I am a carpooler), I pity those who do.

Am I right in saying that's planned for the car park area that just closed - next to the CSO? Any idea if this is actually kicking off because there's been talk of it for some time now.
    In the artist mock up of the new development, they're showing a junction with traffic lights just after the CSO, which puts lights a few hundred feet after the Skehard road junction and also a few hundred feet from the new lights going in by the City Gate junction.

Its going to be mayhem down there soon enough, they could really do with the road being wider from the Skehard road junction, 2 lanes going to Mahon Point with the left one going into the new developments and joining up with where they've already widen the road by City Gate but I dont think theres enough room to carry out that kind of work.

Mentioned on another thread recently that if Skehard Rd. to Mahon got a proper Bus lane you'd halve the problem right there. The bus pulls up by Maxol & SuperValu on Skehard Rd. and grinds traffic on the road to a halt - that's both directions.

The widening of the road by the Well Rd. lights has been okay, but with the space available there, continuing past Con & Pairc Ui Rinn there's no excuse for not having a better bus lane setup, particularly by Con, who are getting away with murder re: parking there, same for Pairc Ui Rinn on Matchdays - slap up bus lanes and fine the absolute shíte out of any/'everybody who parks in a bus lane up there - you'll be up a fortune and you might actually see some decent traffic flow filter through from Mahon Point direction.

pwurple wrote: »
    Ah now, surely not everyone working there will drive solo? We shouldn't be providing 1000's of car spaces and just clogging up all the roads. Talk about getting the policy arseways. Even in the places I work out in remote industrial zones there isn't the need for 100% employee spaces.
    Development should push more public transport, more frequent reliable buses. There are some cycle facilities there, and as you said, some local residential, so people might be able to walk over.

Do you see the citygate equivalents in London with 1000 car spaces? To feck you do. City dwellers shouldn't even need a car. It's the advantage of living and working in a city.

Cork does not have adequate public transport and most buildings do not have the facilities to cater or encourage more people to cycle. High one person car usage is the reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭clerk

I don't think "Cork on ice" is the issue, that's only there for about 6 weeks (I think - open to correction on that but I think it's about right) and could easily be set up on some other site. Just a bit of additional rental income for Mr. O'Callaghan.

I'd say if Mr. O'Callaghan reads the next bit about the multi story he'll be all over it, if he could get planning. Makes perfect sense and would be a huge earner the way all the business premises are going into City gate and onwards. However like everything that makes perfect sense in Cork expect it to happen in circa 30 Years time.

Advertisement