Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mahon Point Shopping Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

pwurple wrote: »
    Ah now, surely not everyone working there will drive solo? We shouldn't be providing 1000's of car spaces and just clogging up all the roads. Talk about getting the policy arseways. Even in the places I work out in remote industrial zones there isn't the need for 100% employee spaces.
    Development should push more public transport, more frequent reliable buses. There are some cycle facilities there, and as you said, some local residential, so people might be able to walk over.

Do you see the citygate equivalents in London with 1000 car spaces? To feck you do. City dwellers shouldn't even need a car. It's the advantage of living and working in a city.

There is Downs–Thomson paradox, that talks about the equilibrium of commute times between public and private means.

Cork is small and City Gate complexes convieniently located close to the N40, that there is virtually no possibility to travel faster with public transportation, unless you live in a walking distance. Regardless how good (or bad) the public transport is, people will use the private transportation to get to work there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

clerk wrote: »
    I don't think "Cork on ice" is the issue, that's only there for about 6 weeks (I think - open to correction on that but I think it's about right) and could easily be set up on some other site. Just a bit of additional rental income for Mr. O'Callaghan.

Oh I know, I aint got no qualms with Cork on Ice as Muhammad Ali famously once said :pac:
    I'd say if Mr. O'Callaghan reads the next bit about the multi story he'll be all over it, if he could get planning. Makes perfect sense and would be a huge earner the way all the business premises are going into City gate and onwards. However like everything that makes perfect sense in Cork expect it to happen in circa 30 Years time.

Perhaps, I would have thought the issue would be that developers don't want to use good space for a car park, when they could build offices here & make far more off it which would make sense. Realistically it's the city council who need to outline the need here and try to attract developers to do it. That said, with free parking available around that area, the council aren't going to go putting a paid one in

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

No joined up thinking as usual o Callaghan developed Manon point and retail park provided parking yet John cleary developed city gate with very little parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I work in a location with hundreds of employees and there isn't a single staff car space provided. Somehow we all manage to get to work every day with minimal fuss. What's the obsession of having a car space for everyone next door to the office?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

I think it is interesting that the area in which Cork On Ice is set up is all hard core as opposed to tarmac. This suggests that this area has been earmarked for development, it has been this way for years, so i wonder is the thinking here for a multi storey?

The way things are going there, soon the quickest way out will be walking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

As a side note ...i would not like to be living in jacobs island for the christmas period ...the last few weekends look like nightmares. Has it been proposed to create a slipway fro the tunnels dualcarriage way to jacobs island

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

grogi wrote: »
    There is Downs–Thomson paradox, that talks about the equilibrium of commute times between public and private means.

Cork is small and City Gate complexes convieniently located close to the N40, that there is virtually no possibility to travel faster with public transportation, unless you live in a walking distance. Regardless how good (or bad) the public transport is, people will use the private transportation to get to work there.

Well, providing more roads and more car spaces is exactly what the downs thomson paradox says makes commuting worse.

Blackrock, mahon, ballinlough, douglas and the city center southside are all catchment areas that should be able to get to city gate easily without a car. Some car spaces, yes absolutely , but no need for 100%.

I live in blackrock/mahon, and getting past the traffic in mahon in the mornings and evenings is getting worse every day. 80 jammed cars could be replaced by 1 bus going the right direction at the right time.

The solution is not more cars.

Well, providing more roads and more car spaces is exactly what the downs thomson paradox says makes commuting worse.

Blackrock, mahon, ballinlough, douglas and the city center southside are all catchment areas that should be able to get to city gate easily without a car. Some car spaces, yes absolutely , but no need for 100%.

I live in blackrock/mahon, and getting past the traffic in mahon in the mornings and evenings is getting worse every day. 80 jammed cars could be replaced by 1 bus going the right direction at the right time.

The solution is not more cars.

I agree with you - more cars is not a sustainable option.

What I meant is that as long as the public transport is not be better than private transportation, people will use cars. And it will be very difficult to make public transport faster to those offices, because of the location of those developments.

What I meant is that as long as the public transport is not be better than private transportation, people will use cars. And it will be very difficult to make public transport faster to those offices, because of the location of those developments.

I tend to disagree - the solution requires resources and some planning but the problem areas are easy to identify here & for me at least, it's the lack of dedicated bus lanes in and out of Mahon Point towards the Blackrock / Douglas area.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Going back to the new lane, the traffic coming out of St. Michael's drive is even worse now for some reason. The few times I've joined it it's taken 15-20 minutes to get out. When I get to the top I can see nearly everyone in the left turning lane is stopping at the junction and waiting for a gap to go straight into the old lane, while the new lane on the left is empty. I can't fathom why this is. ery few are using the lane on the right (coming from St. Michael's drive) to go left even the new markings allow it, I've done it a couple of times and have been beeped out of it by the people on the left cutting into my lane. I hate to admit it but the lights they're installing are needed.

• Advertisement

TheChizler wrote: »
    Going back to the new lane, the traffic coming out of St. Michael's drive is even worse now for some reason. The few times I've joined it it's taken 15-20 minutes to get out. When I get to the top I can see nearly everyone in the left turning lane is stopping at the junction and waiting for a gap to go straight into the old lane, while the new lane on the left is empty. I can't fathom why this is. ery few are using the lane on the right (coming from St. Michael's drive) to go left even the new markings allow it, I've done it a couple of times and have been beeped out of it by the people on the left cutting into my lane. I hate to admit it but the lights they're installing are needed.

The traffic lights there is just a waste of money.

Investment of €1000 for ten cones "shielding" the left turn from St Michaels Drive from the traffic in the right would solve the issue...

EP430.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

The traffic lights there is just a waste of money.

Investment of €1000 for ten cones "shielding" the left turn from St Michaels Drive from the traffic in the right would solve the issue...

I was thinking that but it would it make it impossible for large trucks to get out. Them decreasing the radius of the corner hasn't helped but even with the old layout cones would impede vans and large trucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PreCocious

ofcork wrote: »
    No joined up thinking as usual o Callaghan developed Manon point and retail park provided parking yet John cleary developed city gate with very little parking.

Well it wouldn't be a very successful out of town centre if parking wasn't provided - that's the attraction. Offices don't need parking to attract folk - the job does that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

What I'd also LOVE to know is why permission for 220 apartments in the mahon new complex was denied by 21 vs 7 councillors this week. Including Idiot Mcgonigle as usual. They even refused to put it out for public consultation.

I mean ffs, if people live where they work, then they don't need to drive there. And why on earth that shower of councillors, who are not qualified town planners even get a SAY in it... Honestly like, have any of them even a bit of foresight?

Why on earth would greenfield sites makes more sense than urban living? There's a housing shortage, and these wallies ban housing in an area thousands of people commute to.

http://www.corkindependent.com/news/topics/articles/2016/11/17/4130254-war-of-words-after-mahon-apartment-plans-blocked/

What I'd also LOVE to know is why permission for 220 apartments in the mahon new complex was denied by 21 vs 7 councillors this week. Including Idiot Mcgonigle as usual. They even refused to put it out for public consultation.

I mean ffs, if people live where they work, then they don't need to drive there. And why on earth that shower of councillors, who are not qualified town planners even get a SAY in it... Honestly like, have any of them even a bit of foresight?

Why on earth would greenfield sites makes more sense than urban living? There's a housing shortage, and these wallies ban housing in an area thousands of people commute to.

http://www.corkindependent.com/news/topics/articles/2016/11/17/4130254-war-of-words-after-mahon-apartment-plans-blocked/
    That's a joke & reading that article is after frustrating me - McGonigle's comments are head scratching - hasn't seen plans or spoken to developers, but somehow 'Know's it's wrong' - people who voted for her intuition must be delighted

You can half see the point the SF member made about the people working in the area being priced out of the property - new apartments in that area will sell for a high price given the way the housing market in Cork is going. There's a shortage but this isn't enough of a supply to cover the demand - the prices will stay high for them I believe. With that said, there are plenty of people in Cork who'd purchase the apartments to rent them out or AirBnB etc. - this idea that everybody who buys property here is going to live here and therefore increase traffic in the area is blinkered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

Anyone know what the new entrance that's being constructed down at the Debenhams end will be used for? I'm thinking a bus only entrance/exit.

Would come in handy for people looking to get to Blackrock during busy times if it's for regular use - would mean, rather than sharing one lane to go right, when there's two lanes to go towards the tunnel/link, people could cut up to Skehard Rd. via RingMahon. This would be a lifesaver for myself personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

xabi wrote: »
    Anyone know what the new entrance that's being constructed down at the Debenhams end will be used for? I'm thinking a bus only entrance/exit.

Spotted this myself last week, will it be opened to all traffic?
    It should help a lot with traffic exiting MP.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

Unfortunately Xabi is right:

http://www.corkcity.ie/news/mainbody,75178,en.html
    A new controlled "Bus-Only" entrance with automatic bollards will be constructed into the Mahon Point Shopping Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

MrDerp wrote: »

That's unfortunate but I suppose it would not be fair to residents to increase the amount of cars in the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

MrDerp wrote: »

Good luck navigating through the sulky ponies there - there are 2 tiny ponies with 3 children each whizzing up and down that road:mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭satanta99

The 202 bus has been extended to Mahon Point since yesterday.

The terminus is now outside the Omniplex entrance and will use the bus gates that were built near the Debenhams car park.

http://mahonpointsc.ie/take-202-bus-straight-door-mahon-point-sc/

Saw this posted on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/denisoregan/status/872061110240849921

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

satanta99 wrote: »
    The 202 bus has been extended to Mahon Point since yesterday.

The terminus is now outside the Omniplex entrance and will use the bus gates that were built near the Debenhams car park.

http://mahonpointsc.ie/take-202-bus-straight-door-mahon-point-sc/

Saw this posted on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/denisoregan/status/872061110240849921

At lest I know i can get the bus every 10 mins now after work compare to just down from the CSO office where a bus used to show up once in a blue moon.

At lest no halting site to be worrying about when waiting for a bus.

cork_south wrote: »
    That's unfortunate but I suppose it would not be fair to residents to increase the amount of cars in the area.

Those roads are public and funded with public money. I and everyone has the same right to use them as anybody else. There should be only one expectation about a road - except that it is safe and properly maintained.

Traffic is a normal occurrence in cities. If one doesn't agree with traffic increasing around, they should move out to the sticks.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I'm assuming the bus will continue down Skehard road and take a right down at the end of the graveyard, outside the GAA pitches, up to Mahon Point and the gates, go in, drop and collect and continue back out towards the main stop on the Ringmahon Road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Those roads are public and funded with public money. I and everyone has the same right to use them as anybody else. There should be only one expectation about a road - except that it is safe and properly maintained.

Traffic is a normal occurrence in cities. If one doesn't agree with traffic increasing around, they should move out to the sticks.

with this rationale, one might think you'd stick a dual carriageway through a residential area "suck it up city boys..."
    You're right though- a road must be safe- for the areas it's going through and not just for the vehicles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

Nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

Absolute nightmare this place!!! I just spent 25 minutes staring at braking lights ... 5 oclock this afternoon. What a joke.

Few months back I gave them bad review on facebook, and after that mentioned this traffic situation in some comments. Guess what they did, BANNED ME from their page :D ... what a bunch of clowns. But on the other hand I suppose they got sick of listening to it all the time. Joke of a place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Diabhalta wrote: »
    Absolute nightmare this place!!! I just spent 25 minutes staring at braking lights ... 5 oclock this afternoon. What a joke.

Few months back I gave them bad review on facebook, and after that mentioned this traffic situation in some comments. Guess what they did, BANNED ME from their page :D ... what a bunch of clowns. But on the other hand I suppose they got sick of listening to it all the time. Joke of a place.

Generally a good idea to avoid the place this time of year. Parking is a nightmare. Not in favour of more parking though. Better bus service might help a little.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Generally a good idea to avoid the place this time of year. Parking is a nightmare. Not in favour of more parking though. Better bus service might help a little.

In fairness the 202 now stops literally outside the door of Mahon Point. Anyway most people won't take the bus if they're shopping. It's the whole layout that is the problem. The road design down there simply can't cope with the level of traffic in the area, especially the shopping centre. Not sure what can be done other than avoiding the place like the plague.

Advertisement