Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mahon Point Shopping Centre

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

namloc1980 wrote: »
    In fairness the 202 now stops literally outside the door of Mahon Point. Anyway most people won't take the bus if they're shopping. It's the whole layout that is the problem. The road design down there simply can't cope with the level of traffic in the area, especially the shopping centre. Not sure what can be done other than avoiding the place like the plague.

Suits me down to the ground.

I can get the 202 literally outside my door to Mahonpoint and back for €4.40 all in.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Suits me down to the ground.

I can get the 202 literally outside my door to Mahonpoint and back for €4.40 all in.

Get a Leap Card and it's only €3.22 all in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

It's now 4.60 with out a leepcard return to mathan point bus went up.

But who ever you work for might do the tax saver ticket.

I pay about 11 euros a week thinks to that for unlimited bus travel in cork bargin and 1/2 but it will help if the buses do show up ha.

I have noticed a lot when I get the 202 home from work that it just does not go up to the north side anymore !!!.

So I am standing in the cold for 20 mins to try and get one that gos up ha.

Get a Leap Card and it's only €3.22 all in!

Are the commuter tickets done away with?

Are the commuter tickets done away with?

No the 24hr, weekly and monthly tickets are still there. But the single cash fare is now €2.30. But it's only €1.61 with a Leap Card.
    Bargain really. However most people still insist on using cash and are presumably happy to pay a 30% premium to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

No the 24hr, weekly and monthly tickets are still there. But the single cash fare is now €2.30. But it's only €1.61 with a Leap Card.
    Bargain really. However most people still insist on using cash and are presumably happy to pay a 30% premium to do so.

And also takes nearly 3 times longer to pay with cash over a leep card.

Leep you walk on top and that's it if everyone used leep the bus might kind of be on time for a change!!!.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

Generally a good idea to avoid the place this time of year. Parking is a nightmare. Not in favour of more parking though. Better bus service might help a little.

sure, but if you have a voucher for Omniplex and it's your birthday you kinda wanna go see Star Wars in Maxx like...

so it's not a solution really, to avoid the place... Obviously they need to connect that stupid car park with South Ring. Simple as that... and them banning me on facebook... just sticking their heads into the sand. Idiots.

Diabhalta wrote: »
    Obviously they need to connect that stupid car park with South Ring.

That was part of the original plan during construction.

Cork City Council, they said no to a slip road going directly from the shopping centre onto the SRR.

Cork city council is useless in many ways. Everybody knows that.

also, what's with the lack of parking spaces? There are cars constantly driving around looking for a spot... it's ridiculous... there should be a multistorey car park right next to it.

Mahon Point SC, you are failing miserably. Biggest shopping center in Munster is also the most stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭clerk

Cork City Council, they said no to a slip road going directly from the shopping centre onto the SRR.

l was aware of that but l am wondering why they made that decision, how would a slip lane towards the tunnel be any worse for traffic that having one exit in a hugely successful shopping centre ? Can anyone explain to me their logic ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

what a bunch of clowns.
    Joke of a place.
    Idiots.
    Mahon Point SC, you are failing miserably. Biggest shopping center in Munster is also the most stupid.
    Can't imagine why you might have been banned from the page...

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭cc

Maybe when Dunkettle is done and the Tunnel, M8, N25 become freeflow it might be an option
    clerk wrote: »
    l was aware of that but l am wondering why they made that decision, how would a slip lane towards the tunnel be any worse for traffic that having one exit in a hugely successful shopping centre ? Can anyone explain to me their logic ?

cc wrote: »
    Maybe when Dunkettle is done and the Tunnel, M8, N25 become freeflow it might be an option

My logic is anybody that comes out of Mahon Point and needs the tunnel will go for it (what's the alternative; drive into Cork City and all the way across the City and out again) so simple question how would a slip lane at the other side of Mahon point out towards the tunnel make the tunnel traffic worse ? it would be the same volume of traffic.

and it would improve the traffic going out the current exit not going for the tunnel so it would improve the flow of the traffic within Mahon point which is a crazy bottleneck.

clerk wrote: »
    My logic is anybody that comes out of Mahon Point and needs the tunnel will go for it (what's the alternative; drive into Cork City and all the way across the City and out again) so simple question how would a slip lane at the other side of Mahon point out towards the tunnel make the tunnel traffic worse ? it would be the same volume of traffic.

and it would improve the traffic going out the current exit not going for the tunnel so it would improve the flow of the traffic within Mahon point which is a crazy bottleneck.

Two slip roads in quick sucession to what is essentially a motorway with traffic lights a few hundred meters further down will cause even more of a bottleneck. Anyway, i wouldnt see the NRA greenlighting an exit soley from a shopping centre to such a major road.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Two slip roads in quick sucession to what is essentially a motorway with traffic lights a few hundred meters further down will cause even more of a bottleneck. Anyway, i wouldnt see the NRA greenlighting an exit soley from a shopping centre to such a major road.

They won't, that's for sure.

What could be done tough, for not that much money, is making the traffic exiting to the motorway free-flow...

437820.png

Add an almost always green on left turn from the shopping centre would make the flow much better...

Anyway, i wouldnt see the NRA greenlighting an exit soley from a shopping centre to such a major road.

For what it's worth l don't think they will either. We'll have to wait 10 years for the magic kettle to be fixed. A slip road from the back of Mahon Point could be done in Month's.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

grogi wrote: »
    They won't, that's for sure.

What could be done tough, for not that much money, is making the traffic exiting to the motorway free-flow...

437820.png

Add an almost always green on left turn from the shopping centre would make the flow much better...
    I could be wrong but in my experience the delay is always the junction at the shopping centre entrance, the traffic backing up from the flyover rarely backs up to that junction in any significant way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

To service Mahon Point properly, only 2 slip roads are required.

A slip going towards the tunnel and one coming from the tunnel into Mahoin Ooint directly (would require a bridge)

Traffic coming and going from the West could access/use these slip roads by using the turn off just before the tunnel entrance to double back on themselves.

spzva1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

That additional slip was objected to by the NRA and not Cork County / City Council I believe.

• Advertisement

That additional slip was objected to by the NRA and not Cork County / City Council I believe.

Apologies :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,490 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I'll bet it was part of the developers Original plan.. The NRA would have a canary, it'd cause a nightmare merging just before the tunnel, and sets a terrible precedent, every business is entitled to their own slipway on to a dual carriageway/ motorway.. if they really want I'm sure the owners could contribute to upgrading the junctions causing the back up..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 8,490 ✭✭✭Markcheese

clerk wrote:
    For what it's worth l don't think they will either. We'll have to wait 10 years for the magic kettle to be fixed. A slip road from the back of Mahon Point could be done in Month's.

Haven't they started preparatory works, looks like a bit of ground being cleared for site compounds etc,
    It'll be years though till it's done, cos it'll be a horrible build...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

Markcheese wrote: »
    Haven't they started preparatory works, looks like a bit of ground being cleared for site compounds etc,

Where exactly?

Markcheese wrote: »

It's going to get a whole lot worse before it gets better!

xabi wrote: »
    Where exactly?

In on the left as you go up the slip road from the roundabout heading eastbound onto the N25. They've cleared away trees and other overgrowth and there's site works taking place there now. All preparation work for the main build to begin end this year/early 2019.

It's going to get a whole lot worse before it gets better!

Of course that's to be expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

TheChizler wrote: »
    I could be wrong but in my experience the delay is always the junction at the shopping centre entrance, the traffic backing up from the flyover rarely backs up to that junction in any significant way.

Because it is held at that traffic lights. Improve the throughput at the motorway entrance to the west, you can push more cars through upstream...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

In on the left as you go up the slip road from the roundabout heading eastbound onto the N25. They've cleared away trees and other overgrowth and there's site works taking place there now. All preparation work for the main build to begin end this year/early 2019.

Oh, that's for Dunkettle, I thought he was talking about a slip for MP.

• Advertisement

Currently in MP and the traffic is heavy approaching the tunnel, that’s without the usual traffic here, could be a fun rush hour.

Advertisement