Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mahon Point Shopping Centre

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Dunkettle Interchange scheme will have a contractor appointed before summer with work to start in late 2018 and full work to start in early 2019. It'll be a few years to complete due to the level of traffic management - couple of bank holiday weekends will be interesting. Plenty of late night closures and diversions too.

As for a direct access from the N40 to Mahon Point, it'll never happen. The NRA (now TII) are against people building houses on quiet national secondaries, let alone the 5th busiest road in the country. Regardless, TII are planning on redesignating the N40 as M40 soon and this will put the final nail in the coffin for a Mahon Point entrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

TheChizler wrote: »
    Can't imagine why you might have been banned from the page...

I was expressing my opinion in a civilized manner but at the same time highlighting the issue in a clever way. They obviously didn't like me pointing it out (and giving them a bad review) and instead of reacting to it and saying something they silenced me. I'm 100% sure they did this to other people too. Btw. their review score on facebook is pathetic. It just reflects the traffic situation.

Do you actually realize how frustrating it is being stuck in traffic for 25 minutes. If it's soemwhere else and an accident happened that is fine, nothing can be done about it but this is clearly completely different issue. Issue of complete ignorance a stupidity of handful of people and because of this thousands of people suffer.

Mahon point shopping centre basically owes me at least a litre of petrol I wasted while trying to get out of there. Pull your heads out of your a**es ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Diabhalta wrote: »
    Mahon point shopping centre basically owes me at least a litre of petrol I wasted while trying to get out of there. Pull your heads out of your a**es ffs!
    I'm not sure what you expect Mahon Point to do about the number of cars exiting the centre. Petition the council to change the light sequence? They already have people directing traffic at busy times which is the only reason some of the routes move at all. They've put a bus stop right by the door and built a bus entrance which hopefully will reduce the number of people driving. They really need either another entrance or less cars, neither things are in their control. Better off directing your efforts at the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Theres nothing in MP that cant be picked up elsewhere in the city or online, so I generally try to avoid it like the plague unless I'm going to the cinema and I know, I could heed my own advice and use a different cinema but you're never going to get caught in traffic going to a fiilm around 7 or 8pm. :o

• Advertisement

TheChizler wrote: »
    I'm not sure what you expect Mahon Point to do about the number of cars exiting the centre. Petition the council to change the light sequence? They already have people directing traffic at busy times which is the only reason some of the routes move at all. They've put a bus stop right by the door and built a bus entrance which hopefully will reduce the number of people driving. They really need either another entrance or less cars, neither things are in their control. Better off directing your efforts at the council.

I don't know man, I have a full time life so I don't have time chasing people and emailing every institution in this country so they correct even the most obvious things. I pay taxes so handful of people can have jobs and their jobs is to solve problems. This has been a problem for years and they know about it but for some reason they are unable to solve it. This is what happens when people with IQ of room temperature are in charge of important things like building a shopping centre, or being in charge of the whole city council.

Imagine a foreign tourist being stuck there in traffic for half an hour... then they get home and be like "... well first I thought there's an accident or something because we weren't moving at all but at the end it turned out that the Irish built a shopping centre in 2005 like it's 1990s or something..." Hilarious :D ... just hilarious.

Reminds me of those flyovers on South Ring.. "suuure it's graaand boi, we only need one flyover, we don't need the other two ba" ... fast forward a decade... "uhh... emm... well... ahhh... right... ok... so how much will it be? Oh, certainly, we will pay that, thank you..." ... what else to say...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Imagine a foreign tourist being stuck there in traffic for half an hour...
    They are probably used to it, and suffer a lot worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PreCocious

They are probably used to it, and suffer a lot worse.

I agree.

This mythical foreign tourist will probably be aware of the concept of peak time traffic and realise that there will be disruption if everybody wants to turn up to, and leave, MP at the exact same time.

It's a shopping centre - it gets mad busy at peak times. If MP management thought a multi storey car park would pay for itself they'd do it in a flash.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

also, what's with the lack of parking spaces? There are cars constantly driving around looking for a spot... it's ridiculous... there should be a multistorey car park right next to it.

Mahon Point SC, you are failing miserably. Biggest shopping center in Munster is also the most stupid.

What would a multi storey carpark do to solve it? It would only provide more space for more cars to go into the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

namloc1980 wrote: »
    What would a multi storey carpark do to solve it? It would only provide more space for more cars to go into the area.
    Imagine the traffic trying to get out if they suddenly doubled the number of spaces!

• Advertisement

Jeeez, do I have to explain everything in detail? Use logic please.

If you build a multi storey car park at the same time you obviously connect the whole car park straight with South Ring.

And no, foreign tourist isn't used to wait almost half an hour in traffic. I could go and find few shopping centres on google maps with multiple exits, but I won't do that. I have visited many countries in Europe and also many shopping centres. Mahon Point SC is the most stupid of them all. There are solutions to this problem of course... maybe in 10 years it will be solved, who knows... everything works a bit different in this corner of Europe apparently.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

There will be no direct connection with the South Ring, under any circumstances. The South Ring (N40, soon M40) is owned by Transport Infrastructure Ireland, whose remit is to maintain the highest quality of service possible on the national road network. The South Ring by Mahon Point is 2 lanes in each direction and cannot be widened. Therefore adding more slip roads to further congest the South Ring is out of the question.

As long as the traffic is on the roads around Mahon, TII are happy. The N40 is a national primary route and they will do their level best to keep congestion off it where possible.

Use logic please.
    Maybe you should take your own advice on board.

If you think such traffic is uncommon for the many tourists that visit the area, you haven’t traveled much. Plus, outside of the core traffic times when people are going to work, typically you can quickly get in and out.

There isn’t going to be a new link into the South Ring until at least the new junction is completed at Dunkettle.

The multi story car park is not feasible. There is no need to add additional capacity for cars when there are issues already.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

If you think such traffic is uncommon for the many tourists that visit the area, you haven’t traveled much. Plus, outside of the core traffic times when people are going to work, typically you can quickly get in and out.

^^THIS^^

I usually end up going there once a week. Never have an issue getting in or out. Thought I was going to get stuck last week when leaving at 5.45 one evening and there was a huge line of traffic trying to get out. Turns out I was out in 5 mins. No bother.
    How many exits are there from Dundrum town centre in Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Ludo wrote: »
    ^^THIS^^

How many exits are there from Dundrum town centre in Dublin?

At least four. All onto different roads.

CeilingFly wrote: »
    At least four. All onto different roads.

Thought it was 2...but fair enough. Been stuck in there regularly a lot longer than I ever have in Mahon when I lived in Dublin. Lived in Dublin for 15 years and I laugh when I hear people complain about traffic in Cork. Sure it could be improved (everything can be ) but Cork is a breeze traffic wise in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

I've no problem getting in and out of MP or finding a parking spot. Mainly because i stay clear of busy times and if i have to go then i havent been in traffic for more than 20 mins, theres always a car spot popping up every few minutes.

Is it not close enough to the slip road to SRR as is :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I've no problem getting in and out of MP or finding a parking spot. Mainly because i stay clear of busy times and if i have to go then i havent been in traffic for more than 20 mins, theres always a car spot popping up every few minutes.

Is it not close enough to the slip road to SRR as is :confused::confused:

Not everyone has the luxury unfortunately... And it is not just shoppers at MPSC - all the workers at offices (with the new Mahon Point Plaza in works) are affected too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,490 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Theres definitely improvements that could be made to the N40 junction, to speed up traffic getting off the N40, and not to block up the junctions, but no way will there be another mahon junction it's too close to the tunnel,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

grogi wrote: »
    Not everyone has the luxury unfortunately... And it is not just shoppers at MPSC - all the workers at offices (with the new Mahon Point Plaza in works) are affected too.

Completely agree.....it must be awful for people trying to escape home after a day's work.
    If you have no need to be there, I do not know what enjoyment can be gained from a Sunday in Mahon Point?

I know I will be lambasted! :o

• Advertisement

A high quality rapid transit line using the old Blackrock railway line into the city centre would do wonders for Mahon Point and the surrounding businesses in the area

• Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Completely agree.....it must be awful for people trying to escape home after a day's work.
    If you have no need to be there, I do not know what enjoyment can be gained from a Sunday in Mahon Point?

I know I will be lambasted! :o

It used to be worse before the extra lane was added at City Gate. Before that the place was in gridlock. It flows a bit more easily these days.

Saturday/Sunday in MP or indeed any shopping centre = my idea of hell too ...but it does have cinema and Cork on Ice so good for families I suppose.

A high quality rapid transit line using the old Blackrock railway line into the city centre would do wonders for Mahon Point and the surrounding businesses in the area

And destroy a hugely beneficial amenity enjoyed by a lot of people. No thanks.

Unless it can be a segregated line while maintaining the current walking/cycling route but I'm not sure that would be possible.

Unless it can be a segregated line while maintaining the current walking/cycling route but I'm not sure that would be possible.
    Yeah, used to cycle there a good bit when living nearby; wouldn't like to see it lost.
    Plus, would the costs (quite expensive I'd imagine) really merit the benefit?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I couldn't agree. Apart from losing the amenity walkway why do you think people want to go there from the city centre (or the other direction)? Surely the point of an out of town shopping centre is for easy access for people from other towns/suburbs?

It was built as a public transport corridor and this would be returning it to it's intended use. However the NIMBYs would be out in force no doubt. It will happen at some point. The NIMBYs better get ready.

I couldn't agree. Apart from losing the amenity walkway why do you think people want to go there from the city centre (or the other direction)? Surely the point of an out of town shopping centre is for easy access for people from other towns/suburbs?

Clearly the only reason for people going to Mahon is not just the shopping centre. There are thousands of people living and working down there. The Irish mentality of cars will solve everything is completely deluded. In this thread we had someone suggesting a multi storey car park for the shopping centre! Insane stuff. The feasibility study in 2010 found a high quality public transport corridor there would be a strong trip generator. This is from experts in the field.

It was built as a public transport corridor and this would be returning it to it's intended use. However the NIMBYs would be out in force no doubt. It will happen at some point. The NIMBYs better get ready.

Predictable response...not worth debating.

Predictable response...not worth debating.

Very insightful of you. Your points totally make sense. :D

• Advertisement

Very insightful of you. Your points totally make sense. :D

As much as your stupid NIMBY post. Dismissing objections immediately as NIMBYism tells me it isn't worth my while.

Advertisement