Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Been asked to progress in an industry I don't want to be in

Options
  • 02-01-2014 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭

How do,
    I am currently working in the hospitality industry in London. I got the job when I moved over around 11 months ago. It's where I have most of my experience so got the job easily enough. However, I don't want to remain in the industry, I'm focussed on another and am actively seeking work in that.

I progressed in my job over the last year (mainly due to people ahead of me leaving) and I was next in line for assistant manager. However, a guy had just joined with wife/kids and was someone who had a rakeload of experience in the industry and was someone who did want to progress within it. I was still asked if I wanted it and I said politely no. I explained my situation, that I might be gone if a job in my other field arises and this other guy was much better. I explained that I knew my wage would remain where it is and I was happy with that.

Now, I've just found out that the other guy is leaving too so I have to go in for a chat about my future with the company. I don't want to progress in it, however I am really good in my supervisor position. The staff like me and I'm really good at my job. This is all I want at the moment. I don't want them wasting time with me, training me in making orders and all the behind the scenes stuff if I could be gone at any time.

Will they be angry at this? could my job be on the line because I don't want to progress with them?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Why not progress? If you do decide to leave it'll only look better on your CV if you're coming out with more management experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

It's highly unlikely they'd sack someone they are very happy with even if a promotion is rejected.

With that said, I still wouldn't be so open about wanting to leave. Just say you are happy with your current role and responsibilities.

However, getting on and getting promoted is a good sign, even if it's not in the industry you ultimately want to be in. Recruiters would take it as a positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

It's just that the jobs I'm looking for require a lot of skills which take up all of my spare time. Extra responsibilities I could do without right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Right, had the chat. I explained that I was happy with the position I was in but was willing to fill in any slots vacant. Not that much responsibility and a little raise on top of that so happy days. I feel that if I were to leave now, it wouldn't be too much of a shock for then so conscience clear. Thanks everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Right, had the chat. I explained that I was happy with the position I was in but was willing to fill in any slots vacant. Not that much responsibility and a little raise on top of that so happy days. I feel that if I were to leave now, it wouldn't be too much of a shock for then so conscience clear. Thanks everyone.

I want to give you a job based purely on your attitude.

• Advertisement
Advertisement