Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie projects? (Java)

Options
  • 02-01-2014 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭

Allo all.

Am at the end of semester 1 of a 3 semester long H.Dip in computer science.

I'm looking to build a portfolio and will be working collaboratively with others in my class group (1 or 2 others) to build up a beginner level portfolio.

Some ideas we have thus far:

1: Sudoko solver - Will take in the partial puzzle and solve.
    2: Blackjack/Poker game.
    3: Tamagotchi simulator (Only because i found my one from ten years ago in my desk at home.

Do you guys have any other possible project ideas on a similar difficulty level?

Not sure if relevant, but we're all using Eclipse and will be using Github.

Cheers,

Roy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭iwantthat

Look in to Distributed Systems... A sample banking application or a chat client etc

• Registered Users Posts: 25 FicheCuig

A distributed system project would be at a much higher level of difficulty than the examples already given.

The chat client suggested is a good idea. An application which uses a network will be very useful for learning and good for a portfolio.

It might be a step up in level of difficulty, at the very least it's a level more advanced than newbie.

I would also suggest to try an Android app (or your preferred mobile platform) just to get a feel for it. Mobile devices are becoming increasingly prevalent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

FicheCuig wrote: »
    A distributed system project would be at a much higher level of difficulty than the examples already given.

The chat client suggested is a good idea. An application which uses a network will be very useful for learning and good for a portfolio.

It might be a step up in level of difficulty, at the very least it's a level more advanced than newbie.

I would also suggest to try an Android app (or your preferred mobile platform) just to get a feel for it. Mobile devices are becoming increasingly prevalent.

Hi,

Cheers for the suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

• Registered Users Posts: 15 bennybreezer

Do a quick JSF application with primefaces UI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

iwantthat wrote: »
    Look in to Distributed Systems... A sample banking application or a chat client etc

jaysus, brings me back to my final year project back in 1999, wrote a Java Chat application using RMI...ah the good old days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

From looking at the link provided by Wetai personally I'd look at Threading, you'd be surprised how many developers struggle with threads.

Also mentioned in the link, I was thinking a web based household budget application. This would tie in web dev with other aspects like UI design etc.
    You could also try to tie in the household costs, dates etc into Google Calendar for example. You could support exporting the budget data into a spreadsheet format for easy viewing etc...just ideas.

I see you are using Eclipse so how about an RCP application based on the above? Write some plugins offering additional functionality to the core application etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭ozmo

FicheCuig wrote: »

If its a final year project - I would try to create something that is a complete working project - no matter how small - rather than a study/sample of how one bit of tech like threads or whatever work- it is just assumed you know this kind of stuff in interviews - but a completed demonstratable app I think will stand to you much more.

So - Yes - +1 for the Android app - if its a portfolio to be used for a future interview an Android app will be more impressive to show and talk about - plus you can bring it along on the day.

Android development is Java and Eclipse as you mentioned.
    So maybe you could do your Sudoko solver in that

- or mapping apps are all the rage lately
    you can use an sdk like
    http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgismobile/10.0/apis/android/help/
    (or any of the other available open source mapping sdks)

to display Irish maps from some great free data sources (like this)
    http://airomapsbeta.nuim.ie/flexviewer/?config=AI_Atlas.xml
    http://www.airo.ie/mapping-module

The data endpoint you need give the sdk for the above maps seems to be currently freely accessible here
    http://airomapsbeta.nuim.ie:6080/arcgis/rest/services

“Roll it back”

Advertisement