Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Brake Pads

• 02-01-2014 5:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭

I'll need to replace the pads on the bike in the near future so I am looking for brake pad recommendations.

Looking around most say EBC are the ones to go for, but are the HH ones overkill or are they worth the extra few bob? Would you go HH on the front and back?

Any others worth considering?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭the cats pajamas

I'm very happy with my EBC's, sometimes things are overkill and sometimes they are just what the doctor ordered depends on your riding style and needs (and bike)

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

I have EBC HH on the front of the fazer and a set of non HH ready to put on the rear, they were recommended to me by a mechanic who wasn't trying to sell me them so I went and sourced them myself - €55 to replace the pads at the front with the HH. It's only going to be a couple of extra euro. They are probably over kill for regular road use but i'd still rather have a good quality pad on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

http://www.wemoto.com/info/Brake_Pads_GG_or_HH/

Always stuck HH on the front of mine when I had a bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I have EBC HH on the front and don't find them to be anything special ~ and they're pretty noisy too.. I've striped them out and regreased them a few times and they're still noisy and I won't be using them again.

On the rear I'd put the cheapest pads I can get, I'm not sure I've ever even worn out rear pads on any bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Im gonna watch del boys updated winter brake service video and check the condition of my pads. If I need any it will just be GG pads. And ill just get the EBC brand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

I opt for Ferodo first and then EBC . I avoid HH pads because I prefer my pads to wear instead of the discs - but I'm not really sure how accurate that theory is. Any comments?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I always use the HH on the front and the normal on the back....never found them noisy (?) on either the FZ6 which I had 3 or 4 sets or my current Sprint 1050. They are not that more expensive either TBH. And I find they stop the bike very well, granted both the bikes were fairly new and had HEL braided lines fitted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

I use hh pads on front and standard on rear, because I like to be able to stop quick if I need. On some bikes there will be a big difference in stopping power by using hh on the front instead of standard.

If you are riding a low powered bike, you will be ok with standard on front.

My current front pads are EBC FA142 sk934. There are more numbers if needed but can anyone tell me from the above if they are HH or GG?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

I've EBC front and rear, they're a big step from the previous pads (OEM) for stopping power. Get the street/road variant as the race orientated ones are noisier.

The new brembo (red) pads look good, probably go for those next (sometime in the summer).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,614 ✭✭✭prunudo

RosieJoe wrote: »
    I'll need to replace the pads on the bike in the near future so I am looking for brake pad recommendations.

Looking around most say EBC are the ones to go for, but are the HH ones overkill or are they worth the extra few bob? Would you go HH on the front and back?

For a moment I was thinking, wtf, how have you worn the pads on the new bike already............then I coped the date, doh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

I use Goldfren HH sintered pads back & front on my MT-01, can't fault them & the MT is a lot of bike to slow down when needed.

Having said that, I use a lot of engine braking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

I have HH pads on the ducati, they are noisy and grabby, if I gently squeeze the lever they feel crap and I get judder but if I jump on the lever real hard they really pull you up, however for normal riding they are in my opinion overkill and mine are coming out when the organically get delivered to me

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

RosieJoe wrote: »

I have EBC HH on the front and oragnic/kevlar/normal on the back, on both my bikes. I think that's a fairly common setup...and works well. HHs are harder on the rotors, but that's the trade-off for having more stopping power.

The organic is softer, and you get more of a "feel" and it's easier to control at low speeds. I generally brake with both brakes until very slow and then come to complete halt using only the back (last 2 seconds or so). That gives a very smooth stop, particularly with luggage/pillion.

I find the EBC brakes very good, just try to break them in right. Never noisy at all for me either...that's usually a sign of dirty rotors/callipers which have contaminated the pads. Also, tonnes of people put some copper grease on the back of the pads before installation, which supposedly eliminates noise. I think that might be a myth though.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

I have EBC HH on the front and don't find them to be anything special ~ and they're pretty noisy too.. I've striped them out and regreased them a few times and they're still noisy and I won't be using them again.

On the rear I'd put the cheapest pads I can get, I'm not sure I've ever even worn out rear pads on any bike.

You grease your pads? :)

Interesting that you never wear out your rear pads, I seem to wear the rear first always.

Dont get the noisy bit either.....never hear a peep out of my pads on my last 2 bikes. Never had a disc warp or wear out quicker either with HH pads. Then again I do maintain my bikes and service items before the need arises where applicable. When I did the fork seals last week, I serviced the front brakes as the calipers were off and to hand. Gonna do the back on Thrus. when I am replacing the fluids in the two cylinders. IMHO if you are riding a powerful bike you need all the stopping power you can get just in case with the "disasters" on the road nowadays.

Just did a quick google there and apparently its only the "EBH HH KIT" pads that are prone to warping discs, as they are made for trackdays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Robbknoll

Do ye get ye're brake pads locally or online? Mine need changing soon.

Locally if possible, dont find them much cheaper online TBH. I get a few quid discount in the few places I go anyway.....

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Dont get the noisy bit either.....never hear a peep out of my pads on my last 2 bikes. Never had a disc warp or wear out quicker either with HH pads. Then again I do maintain my bikes and service items before the need arises where applicable.

How long are you riding?.

If I say 20yrs I am old school enough to know "whats what" if I said 6 mths I am a clown with no clue kinda deal is it?

• Advertisement

If I say 20yrs I am old school enough to know "whats what" if I said 6 mths I am a clown with no clue kinda deal is it?

OK, well all that aside you're hardly riding a wet day.. Your experience of noisy pads or not and how well and diligent you are with maintaining the few bikes you've had mean's feck all to me.

And why should it :rolleyes:

I know many a fella with bikes for 10 yrs and cant change a bulb, you take exception to me stating I can service my own bike.

What exactly is the problem? The fact I don't get the "noisy brakes" (it was a simple statement) or that I can service my own bikes? I might have only had a few bikes of my own but I have ridden a hell of alot more then that I can tell you.

I could easily take your stance and say I dont get your fascination with open face helmets, maybe thats why you can hear the brakes so much! ;)

Anywho.....back on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

Usually hh on the front for me and standard on the rear. I am fairly easy on the brakes out on the open road but when I need to stop in am emergency situation or whatever the hh on the front to a great job!

leppla wrote: »
    Usually hh on the front for me and standard on the rear. I am fairly easy on the brakes out on the open road but when I need to stop in am emergency situation or whatever the hh on the front to a great job!

How long are you riding?

:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

I see a fookin pattern here . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

And why should it :rolleyes:

I know many a fella with bikes for 10 yrs and cant change a bulb, you take exception to me stating I can service my own bike.

What exactly is the problem? The fact I don't get the "noisy brakes" (it was a simple statement) or that I can service my own bikes? I might have only had a few bikes of my own but I have ridden a hell of alot more then that I can tell you.

I could easily take your stance and say I dont get your fascination with open face helmets, maybe thats why you can hear the brakes so much! ;)

Anywho.....back on topic.

in fairness now, you were insinuating those that had experienced brake squeal / warped discs were somehow negligent in maintaining their bikes

Anyone care to answer my question in post #10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

My experience with them, it would say 'HH' on them (ie FA142HH), else they are organic ones

Wossack wrote: »
    in fairness now, you were insinuating those that had experienced brake squeal / warped discs were somehow negligent in maintaining their bikes

In fairness now Wossack...I wasn't. I made a general comment.

People on here take themselves far too seriously :rolleyes:

If you re-read the post I said I don't get/understand the noisy pads, but then again I service my bike well before the pads wear down.

If anyone is insinuating anything its the OP, claiming that just because a lad is not biking 10/20yrs plus they have no idea "whats what" in the biking world and they know it all.

I am not getting into an argument here when there is none, I am not responsible for how other people interpret a post on here. If I wanted to have a go I would have, no insinuation would be needed.

Joe, sorry for the hijack. Even if I did not start it.

• Advertisement

rat_race wrote: »
    I have EBC HH on the front and oragnic/kevlar/normal on the back, on both my bikes. I think that's a fairly common setup...and works well. HHs are harder on the rotors, but that's the trade-off for having more stopping power.

The organic is softer, and you get more of a "feel" and it's easier to control at low speeds. I generally brake with both brakes until very slow and then come to complete halt using only the back (last 2 seconds or so). That gives a very smooth stop, particularly with luggage/pillion.

I find the EBC brakes very good, just try to break them in right. Never noisy at all for me either...that's usually a sign of dirty rotors/callipers which have contaminated the pads. Also, tonnes of people put some copper grease on the back of the pads before installation, which supposedly eliminates noise. I think that might be a myth though.

Could not have put it better myself....on a side note I do always use cooper grease on the pads.

Advertisement