Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offline ads

Options
  • 02-01-2014 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

I am wondering how apps with ads work while offline. I downloaded a game which displays an ad before each new game starts. When offline, the ad still appears, usually the same one.

Do these ads count as hits? If so, how does that work, e.g. does it save the amount of the times the ad was served while offline and upload it next time the device is on-line?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Such advertising tends to 'count' on the basis of clicks-thrus, rather than impressions served. As clicks-thrus would require an Internet connections to take place, let alone be registered, I doubt they would 'count' to any total.

This doesn't mean that there aren't adds being cached locally for offline viewing, or offline metrics are not being collected - this probably varies from advertiser to advertiser - but they're unlikely to 'count' in terms of CPC's and the like.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

It's completely dependent on the Ad Network being used in the App. Each Ad network generally has its own specific code snippets/libraries for you to include. They all handle things slightly differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 FicheCuig

Excellent. Thanks for the replies.

Advertisement