Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HouseHold waste collection

Options
  • 02-01-2014 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what company is the cheapest, McGrath ? Barna ?
    Also is it only the two companies that operate in Mayo?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Mayo is a big place. What part are you in? eg Sweeney Recycling operate in Castlebar

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

Wers and Ballinrobe waste also run bin collections in Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Samhain

I found Sweeneys to be the cheapest in Castlebar. Also, their trucks normally collect later on in the morning so if you forget to leave it out the night before, you can normally get them in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Samhain wrote: »
    I found Sweeneys to be the cheapest in Castlebar. Also, their trucks normally collect later on in the morning so if you forget to leave it out the night before, you can normally get them in the morning.

do they do pay by weight, currently forking out over 200 a year for bourke.

do they have 3 bins?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

Just got my invoice from Ballinrobe waste and it's 330e for the year! I'm not happy.
    Only really have the choice of Ballinrobe waste and Wers.

Waiting on a quote from Wers and will see from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭6541

I have called most of them and all of them are coming in around 320 - 330. Its fairly steep. Only two people live in my household and we do not generate that much waste !

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

We have Bourkes holiday bin. 50 euro initial payment and you buy the bin. Then each time they take it its 15 euro for the label.
    In 2013 they did 12 lifts for us, 2 adults and 2 kids in our house.
    I go to the recycling centre every 8 weeks or so with the recycling.

yop wrote: »
    We have Bourkes holiday bin. 50 euro initial payment and you buy the bin. Then each time they take it its 15 euro for the label.
    In 2013 they did 12 lifts for us, 2 adults and 2 kids in our house.
    I go to the recycling centre every 8 weeks or so with the recycling.

Suppose that is reasonable enough, but look at it this way, 15 *12 = 180 + 50 = 230 Then you went to the recycling 8 times.
    So for an extra 100 euro it cuts out the hassle of going to the recycling center.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

6541 wrote: »
    Suppose that is reasonable enough, but look at it this way, 15 *12 = 180 + 50 = 230 Then you went to the recycling 8 times.
    So for an extra 100 euro it cuts out the hassle of going to the recycling center.

One of payment of 50, we paid that 7 years ago, so it was 180 euro + 24 for the recycling.
    Prefer the 130 euro in my pocket.

If you have little waste then potentially you could put a bin out every 8 weeks/2 months. A lot less that 330 quid.

yop wrote: »
    One of payment of 50, we paid that 7 years ago, so it was 180 euro + 24 for the recycling.
    Prefer the 130 euro in my pocket.

If you have little waste then potentially you could put a bin out every 8 weeks/2 months. A lot less that 330 quid.

Okay I see what you are saying. I thought the payment was 50 euro in that year !

• Advertisement

6541 wrote: »
    Okay I see what you are saying. I thought the payment was 50 euro in that year !

No once off, the bin is then yours. If you never send it for a lift its still yours.
    I think its well well worth it, as at least you have the bin for the bags and its tidier.
    When we didn't have the kids we were putting it out every 8 weeks.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I will say this for Bourkes: my experience with them from a customer service point of view has been outstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

i am with barna put they are gone to sh1te lately we have not had or bins collected in 4 weeks,ever since they changed there collection dates they have missed mine more than they have collected.
    even when i rang up to see what was going on i was transfered to different people untill the line went dead.
    then got hold of the rep who said would sorted if for me iam still waiting for him to call me back about 3 months later
    we then got a letter from them saying the we owed 165euro for services no idea what the services where for.tried to ring them no ans,left messages with them for them to ring me back,no call.then got a text yes a text message to say that to ignore the letter as we where paying by direct debit.
    a joke of a company.iam closing my account to day

Can we stop talking about it (Joke) I have flashed the cash with mcgraths waste . 330 Euro for the year, dear I know, but i want it sorted and they are local to Castlebar.

bourkes are coming in at 310 for the yr
    am waiting for sweeneys to ring me back

found this might be handy for people
    http://www.mayococo.ie/en/NaSeirbhisi/Environment/News/PDFFile,4445,en.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Try Loftus recycling as well.

naughto wrote: »
    i am with barna put they are gone to sh1te lately we have not had or bins collected in 4 weeks,ever since they changed there collection dates they have missed mine more than they have collected.
    even when i rang up to see what was going on i was transfered to different people untill the line went dead.
    then got hold of the rep who said would sorted if for me iam still waiting for him to call me back about 3 months later
    we then got a letter from them saying the we owed 165euro for services no idea what the services where for.tried to ring them no ans,left messages with them for them to ring me back,no call.then got a text yes a text message to say that to ignore the letter as we where paying by direct debit.
    a joke of a company.iam closing my account to day

They they have a huge debt problems.

irishgeo wrote: »
    They they have a huge debt problems.

they may have but they still won the contract for the galway co co contract.
    http://www.connachttribune.ie/galway-news/item/1690-barna-waste-to-take-over-galway-bin-collection-from-council

We are due a collection today as the last day it fell on new yers,what's the bets that it will be still there in the morning
    Bins are still there no sign of them,my next door neighbour has his bins out for barna along with 15black bags, that I don't think they will take when/if they finally collect it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

Got a quote from Wers and they are slightly more expensive than Ballinrobe waste for the larger bin (169 for 6 months). They do give one month free if you pay by direct debit which is confusing as you'd think it'd be of more incentive to encourage an upfront payment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Pay E280 for Loftus. They have been very good for the past 3 years.

TT

Went with Bourke's,very nice lady on the phone answered any questions I had.will have the new bins by Thursday.tried to ring barns yesterday but it kept running out,I don't no what goes on in that office,got a hold of them this morning,they wanted to no whybi was cancling my account,so I told them,every thing I have said here.

naughto wrote: »
    Went with Bourke's,very nice lady on the phone answered any questions I had.will have the new bins by Thursday.tried to ring barns yesterday but it kept running out,I don't no what goes on in that office,got a hold of them this morning,they wanted to no whybi was cancling my account,so I told them,every thing I have said here.
    I found bourke waste good. Rang up yesterday too see what bin to put out and no hassle. Also had an issue with a bill for my brothers house. A bit of a mix up but no hassle sorting it out

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

With Sweeney's at the moment,anybody get a quote from them for this year?

seligehgit wrote: »
    With Sweeney's at the moment,anybody get a quote from them for this year?
    they dident get back to me so i dont no what they charge

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dollybird2

Barna provide a 3 bin collection service in Galway City for a fixed rate of 229 euro per year, regardless of weight.. I am going to query their charges in Mayo for the same service.

Advertisement