Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

carbonating a Irish Stout (23 Litres)

Options
  • 02-01-2014 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

Ive ventured into the world of extract brewing with a Irish Stout (23 Litres) a kit extract to ease me into it, been fermenting away since teh 9th of dec, and im going to bottle soon. my question is ive only primed using carb drops or sugar (i over carbonated by using too much but im learning).

how much should i carb a stout i have read 2.2-2.5 vol of C02. but ive never batch primed before should i try batch priming this or carb drop each 500ml bottle ?

ill have approx 23L to bottle
    brewersfriend thanks beernut and it says for 2.5 (im somewhat guessing on stout should be carbed to) it says
    Table Sugar: 155.0 g
    Corn Sugar: 170.4 g
    DME: 228.0 g

so should i attempt batch priming on my first extract batch?? and if so shoudl i just use 155g of table sugar or would it be better to use DME.

thanks for any input

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

for a stout i have used between 80g to 100g of sugar to batch prime, will be brewing an oatmeal stout soon and will use wheat spraymalt to prime to help with head retention.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

I find if you carbonate stouts at low levels when bottle conditioning you wil get poor if any head retention as not enough co2 to create it. I now prime my stouts/porters to about 2.5 vol co2. I had a coffee and oatmeal stout from the offy recently and it had basically no creamy head, was like a glass of coke. It could be due to the oats but it had to me the usual awful twang which I associate with their beers, could not finish it. I have a brown porter bottled at 2.5 vol co2 and it has a nice lasting creamy head. I'd say carb drops would be perfect too for a stout.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 10 BrewRob

Overcarb it. Will be much easier to remove CO2 from the glass than add back in!!

Advertisement