Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

quiting smoking

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Snatchy

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    Could help, they say when you quit you miss the habit of holding that stick in your hand. You could make millions out of this solution.

What advice would you give to women who ain't born with an automatic substitute?

3 weeks off them now - how is everyone else doing and feeling about it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Off them the same length. Had a wobble on Friday when had savage cravings but GF put me straight in no uncertain terms. Have drank too and not wanted them but big test will be heading out with the lads. Been flat out exercising and seriously noticing the difference. Hope to God I can keep it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Off them the same length. Had a wobble on Friday when had savage cravings but GF put me straight in no uncertain terms. Have drank too and not wanted them but big test will be heading out with the lads. Been flat out exercising and seriously noticing the difference. Hope to God I can keep it up

Same as this without the serious exercise, unless walking on beach is serious exercise.

Have had a few bottles of beer since giving up but not went out to pub yet, that will be my big test. will try to leave that test for as long as possible.

Have been spending the spare cash on myself as reward.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 linda101

Anyone used wicked e cigs any good ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 abolia

my mom gave up 6 years ago, will willpower, terrible to be around she had mood swings only lasted few months she is happy now that she did give up. thankfully i never smoked hate the smell, you can do it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 CL1970

I would suggest the following book I read 3 years ago and was very helpful "The Easyway to Stop Smoking by Allen Carr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭spitfireIRL

Haven't smoked since I originally posted, 61 days today :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Well done spitfireIRL. That's brilliant!

Have had 2 setbacks since new years. Once abroad on holidays and then last weekend had 3 or 4 on a night out. Really annoyed. Was first time out with a group, did grand for hours, then took a notion and crumbled :mad:

Have been avoiding nights out tbh but really need to address it in these situations. Very determined to sort it out. 4 days and counting...next time I post it will be 40 days and counting without the c**ting smokes!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Snatchy

Haven't smoked since 30 December 2013 :):) - very happy with myself. Hardly think about them at all now.

What really helped was the non-drinkng and non-going out aspect to January.

Stampydmonkey I suggest you don't go out on boozy nights for a while - makes it so much easier to quit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I've been distracting myself with exercise, cycling, weights etc.. But you have it worse than me, I always smoked like a chimney while drinking but I've been on the sauce loads the last few days and it hasn't been bothering me too badly, I don't know how long this will last though...
    I wish I could be like that. I have quit loads of times and my longest stretch is six months. My downfall is always drink. The first drink is fine. Second not so bad. But once I have the third or fourth drink, all I crave is a cigarette. After my six month stretch I though I was cured for good, but a night out drinking made me think I could have just one.....which turned into two.........and next thing I was back on them.

I think that I am going to have to give up drink if I want to give up smoking. The two are just too intertwined with me. It's like I have a scumbag brain that is trolling me. On the one hand I know that smoking is bad, so normally I don't do it but once I've started drinking, it's like there is a devil in my brain, pulling all the strings saying "Go on, have one, it won't do you any harm and will make you feel soooo good". So either I spend the whole night wrestling with my scumbag brain and the addiction wins or I don't drink and it's not a problem.

Honestly, I don't get it. As a rational human being, I know that smoking causes a lot of illnesses, costs a lot of money (for a completely stupid habit as you are literally smoking your money with nothing to show for it) and smells disgusting. With no drink involved, if I am around smokers, it is the most repulsive smell ever and I don't want to be around them. After a few drinks, the smell of cigarettes is both repugnant and alluring and I have an overwhelming urge to have one.

I'm no spring chicken anymore, so giving up drinking isn't that big of a loss to me but it does fascinate me the link between smoking and drinking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 happyvape

quit today,, not let it for tomorrow,

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    I wish I could be like that. I have quit loads of times and my longest stretch is six months. My downfall is always drink. The first drink is fine. Second not so bad. But once I have the third or fourth drink, all I crave is a cigarette. After my six month stretch I though I was cured for good, but a night out drinking made me think I could have just one.....which turned into two.........and next thing I was back on them.

I think that I am going to have to give up drink if I want to give up smoking. The two are just too intertwined with me. It's like I have a scumbag brain that is trolling me. On the one hand I know that smoking is bad, so normally I don't do it but once I've started drinking, it's like there is a devil in my brain, pulling all the strings saying "Go on, have one, it won't do you any harm and will make you feel soooo good". So either I spend the whole night wrestling with my scumbag brain and the addiction wins or I don't drink and it's not a problem.

Honestly, I don't get it. As a rational human being, I know that smoking causes a lot of illnesses, costs a lot of money (for a completely stupid habit as you are literally smoking your money with nothing to show for it) and smells disgusting. With no drink involved, if I am around smokers, it is the most repulsive smell ever and I don't want to be around them. After a few drinks, the smell of cigarettes is both repugnant and alluring and I have an overwhelming urge to have one.

I'm no spring chicken anymore, so giving up drinking isn't that big of a loss to me but it does fascinate me the link between smoking and drinking.

I gotta say, i'm having no trouble not smoking normally.. but the cravings ARE insane when i'm in the pub. ALL of my friends smoke so we're usually in the smoking area.. I don't really know what to tell you, there's no secret to it, you just gotta fight through it! I was mad for one at a few stages last night but it does pass...

Just over eight months.. hiyyyo.. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Just over eight months.. hiyyyo.. :)

I'm with ya there SpitfireIrl. The unbelievable thing for me is that I went on a few drinking benders with my friends, most of who smoke and I'm still a non smoker. I always believed it was impossible to get drunk and not smoke, now I know it is possible.

I gave up smoking years ago for two years but went back on them without any particular reason so will have to look out for this again. I do believe I will never smoke again even though no-one knows for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

I'm 16 days off them and they only thing getting me through it is saving €200 a month. That's what i keep telling myself and it's working. I'm getting less cravings and have been out a few nights and smoking areas havent bothered me.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 GeorgeSlate

Smoking tobacco is both physical addiction and psychological habit. While there are smokers who are planning to quit smoking but they need a start to go ahead for this plan. For this one must have to follow a few steps to quit smoking.
    You have to quit smoking
    Tell to friends and family members that you are planning to quit smoking.
    Make a commitment, take self decision that you will quit smoking.
    Keep track when you smoke, try to decrease your the number of cigarette you are smoking per day.
    Adopt some good habits and healthy tips, make yourself busy in doing works, remove cigarettes and other tobacco products from your home.
    Try to talk to your doctor about getting help to quit.

Advertisement