Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Preperations

Options
  • 02-01-2014 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭

Hi all. We leave on monday and i'd just like to thank everyone who has responded to my posts over the last six months. The advice I have gotten could be priceless.

I have a few final questions which may seem trivial but with a noob such as myself i'm leaving nothing to chance :)

1) Would a standard travellers backpack be too big for 'carry on' luggage? The back packs which are basically the length of your back. I'd like to bring one but I can barely fit anything in it so no point bringing it as my main luggage.

2) I'm bringing over 3 hurls with me. Will I have any trouble getting these over. Is there a procedure I go through and does it cost anything?

3) And finally (Be honest but don''t scare the bejesus out of me) will €3200 (Approx $5,000) be enough to settle in initially?

Again, thanks so much for all the help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Alanhooly

Also, I have booked the flights with e-bookers. We are flying with Aer Lingus to Amsterdam & then with Malaysian Airlines to Kuala Lumpur and the again to Sydney.

Is the baggage that will check through free or is this an extra charge? This was taken from their site..

"Between Ireland and the USA for Economy travel- 1 bag max 23 kg (50 lb)

Between Ireland and the USA for Business Class travel - 3 bags max 32 kg (70 lb) per bag, total 69 kg (150 lb)

All other flights - No free baggage allowance."

• Registered Users Posts: 12 AMBMoran

How exciting! Am heading over myself the end of the month and am here trying sort the last few bits, while trying not to over stress. Sydney bound start of Feb, travelling the east coast to cairns then back to Sydney to try find work.Am goibg to start registering with recruitment agencies next week

Have you copies of all your important documents scanned and saved to your email incase u lose them?

CV up to date?
    Any direct debits you need to cancel?
    I've transferred some money to an Oz bank account but u can sort all that when u arrive.

Hope you have a ball!

AMBMoran wrote: »
    How exciting! Am heading over myself the end of the month and am here trying sort the last few bits, while trying not to over stress. Sydney bound start of Feb, travelling the east coast to cairns then back to Sydney to try find work.Am goibg to start registering with recruitment agencies next week

Have you copies of all your important documents scanned and saved to your email incase u lose them?

CV up to date?
    Any direct debits you need to cancel?
    I've transferred some money to an Oz bank account but u can sort all that when u arrive.

Hope you have a ball!

I've literally just finished updating my CV. I've made out a couple of different ones to cater the type of work i'm going for. The funds have already being sent to Oz and are waiting in an account for me.

I've re-emailed all my Visa info, flight info, CV's and bank information to myself.

Cheers for the little checklist. Hope your trip goes well too! It will be an experience either way! All the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭minzabud

I wouldn't chance a rucksack as carry on, I presume your talking about one in or around 65litres? I'm going back Monday myself and travel with a 90l duffel bag as checked baggage and a sports bag like you would bring to the gym, lightweight and can be squashed down when needed.

You might have trouble with hurls having to have wood treatment to get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Rucksack will be too big for carry on. Once its checked it should go all the way through to your final destination.

The hurls can be treated at the airport for a cost, so look into that first and then see if it is cheaper to buy some over here if possible.

Get to the airport early to check in. People are less cranky checking you in, more tolerant of slightly overweight bags etc.

The money should be enough to get you going. Just don't go drinking every night when you get here, eating out etc. Find a balance between enjoying your time here when you arrive and budgeting to get by.

Don't just email your visa stuff, email a copy of your passport, licence, PPS number, passport number etc. Basically anything you might need that can get lost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭RadarControl

I would recommend scan everything in colour and upload to Dropbox. Also probably be a bit short notice but try get the unlock code for your phone. That way you only need a SIM card when you arrive. It saves you the expense of buying new phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Think you'll have to check the hurleys in as sports equipment, you won't be able to carry them on for obvious reasons. Shouldn't cost anything extra.

Not sure about having to get them treated in any way, when I went over last year I brought two and they didn't even look at them when I declared them coming in. I had them in a Hurley bag tho and gave them a sand/clean before I left.
    I'd say you'll be fine with them just give them a sand down and don't forget to declare the sliotars aswell if you're bringing a few!

$5000 isn't bad but you'll be surprised how quick you'll eat through it, especially being in holiday mode in your first few weeks. Things are starting to pick up a bit work wise after Xmas so you're coming over at a good time. Weather nice too. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Stormxv1

Greetings from Sydney Alan!
    Have no idea about bringing in the hurleys but just make sure you declare them on the form you get(got mine during the flight) because the Aussie authorities love nothing more than dishing out very hefty fines.
    With regards to the money needed it depends on alot of things such as accommodation(friends place,hostel ect),are you going to look for a job as soon as you arrive or do a bit of travelling?
    If you're looking to get any job in construction you must get whats known as a "white card" same as a safe pass and will set you back between $100-$150.
    Also sign up to as many agency's as possible to have the best chance of landing a job.

Cant think of anything else but if you have any other q's just shoot me a pm
    Best of luck,Dan

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

Standard backpack is too big. Most airlines have 7kg limit on hand luggage, Malaysian included
    http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/au/en/book-and-plan/baggage/hand-baggage.html
    You will be able to check in one 23kg bag all the way through usually and your 7kg carry on for free.

Hurleys should be fine, just declare them on your entry form to Oz.

5k will be enough initially but don't go mad on the drink and partying when you get here

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I'm confident i'm sensible enough to look after my money. I tend to make it go a long way in Ireland without sacrificing the craic. I'll be so nervous with my money i'll be afraid to spend it initially!

My main bag is 23kg on the dot and my hand luggage is bang on 7kg! Still have 1 or 3 things to add so not sure what to do about that!

Thanks again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

Best of luck, you'll be grand! Be prepared for a tough first month or two and then things usually fall into place.

It's very very hot at the moment so be prepared to sweat a lot!

You'll have an absolute ball, Australia is an amazing country with fantastic opportunities! Enjoy it all! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ronan958

Hi, I just started following these Australia thread's and am heading to Sydney at the end of February. I was wondering Which employment agencies would you recommend? And also how do you guys have bank accounts allready set up in Australia? Any and all advice greatly welcome

Ronan958 wrote: »
    Hi, I just started following these Australia thread's and am heading to Sydney at the end of February. I was wondering Which employment agencies would you recommend? And also how do you guys have bank accounts allready set up in Australia? Any and all advice greatly welcome

I haven't actually applied to any agencies so I can't comment on that. However, setting up an account was easy. It can all be done online and they send you out your bank details within 2/3 days.

I joined 'Commonwealth bank'. Pretty stress free really to be honest. Hope you have a good time! I'm firmly in the final stretch now. Leaving home in about 24 hours. These hours will be the worst. Hopefully it all looks up from there! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

I was wondering do i need to get an international license in oz, or will my existing one work. I have the new european ndls full licence as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Fol20 wrote: »
    I was wondering do i need to get an international license in oz, or will my existing one work. I have the new european ndls full licence as well.
    you're welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

Do you need an Australian address to set up a bank account from Ireland? I'm heading over on Sunday. I haven't booked a hostel yet. When I do, could I just give that address, even though it's temporary?

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭top madra

CM24 wrote: »
    Do you need an Australian address to set up a bank account from Ireland? I'm heading over on Sunday. I haven't booked a hostel yet. When I do, could I just give that address, even though it's temporary?

I wouldn't worry too much about setting up a back account before you get here,

I set one up in about 15 mins on Monday in a commonwealth bank, my card will be posted in about 3-5 working days.

Have you any friends over and just use their address?

CM24 wrote: »

You need an address for entry, even 1 night in a hostel, even the address of a hostel if you aren't staying there.

I've been here since monday night now and i've just got sorted with Labouring work in Sydney. Happy days! Still have to find a place to live etc. but it's great to have something! :)

Cheers for all tips & hints over the last while!

Alanhooly wrote: »
    I've been here since monday night now and i've just got sorted with Labouring work in Sydney. Happy days! Still have to find a place to live etc. but it's great to have something! :)

Dighted to hrar things are working out for you Alan, myself and the other half are getting set to land in Sydney the end of the month.
    Do you mind me asking for d labouring did u have to get a white card? Or did they hire u without?

• Advertisement

Alanhooly wrote: »

Dighted to hrar things are working out for you Alan, myself and the other half are getting set to land in Sydney the end of the month.
    Do you mind me asking for d labouring did u have to get a white card? Or did they hire u without?

You need a white card. Big fines, highly illegal if you don't have one.

If a company is willing to take the risk of hiring you without a white card, they aren't really worth working for. If they don't care about white cards then they won't care about your safety.

White card is $99 for a 1 day course.

Advertisement