Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for a firearm license - Advice Required

Options
  • 02-01-2014 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

I put a deposit on a .22 air rifle at the weekend and I am currently in the process of applying for a license to use it. I am concerned however that my application may be revoked. Does anyone have any advice to give for making my application?

The reason I am purchasing the rifle is just to do some target shooting at home over 40/50m distance. I live out in the countryside away from anyone and my house is on an acre site so I have plenty of room in which to shoot. I have absolutely no interest in killing any type of animal with the rifle, purely target shooting.

What reasons should I put on my application for wanting the rifle? I have already inquired at a local gun club about joining but its €400/year for membership. I just don't have that kind of money at the moment.

Would it be sufficient for me to obtain written permission from two local landowners stating that I can shoot on their land?

I am in my 30's, have no criminal record, have completed the firearm competency course. Any advice whatsoever would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Don't put target shooting on the form if you're not using an approved range. It's against the law to be target shooting outside of a range, people do it anyway but if you put it on the form and don't show range membership you'll be refused.

If you have two landowners permission for hunting then you should be approved..if you choose to shoot targets on the land instead of rabbits etc. then that's your own business.

Remember that you'll have to put in a safe too.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭melon_collie

Thanks for the reply. It will be no problem for me to get written permission from two landowners.

Could there be any other potential issues??

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭1shot16

State u need at least 500 rounds due to ammo/pellets only come in tins of 500!

Gas or Spring?

1shot16 wrote: »
    State u need at least 500 rounds due to ammo/pellets only come in tins of 500!

Gas or Spring?

its a spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Blay covered most of it there. If you can get 2 land owners that will be the only way you will get the licence if your not part of a range.

It's illegal to shoot targets outside of a range. It is also bad news if your shooting within certain distances for any house or any road. Even doe it is your own land is irrelevant. That rule/law will apply.

Don't not say you want it for target shooting in your garden I'd imagine that's illegal and you will not get your license. If you decide to go ahead and do anyway and risk your license well that's your own business.

Once you have to permissions and a safe and your competency coarse. Your good to go.

• Advertisement

Blay covered most of it there. If you can get 2 land owners that will be the only way you will get the licence if your not part of a range.

It's illegal to shoot targets outside of a range. It is also bad news if your shooting within certain distances for any house or any road. Even doe it is your own land is irrelevant. That rule/law will apply.

Don't not say you want it for target shooting in your garden I'd imagine that's illegal and you will not get your license. If you decide to go ahead and do anyway and risk your license well that's your own business.

Once you have to permissions and a safe and your competency coarse. Your good to go.

thanks a lot for that info.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭1shot16

its a spring.

Model?

Have a Spring Weihrauch hw97k myself in .22

1shot16 wrote: »
    Model?

Have a Spring Weihrauch hw97k myself in .22

gamo whisper fusion pro .22

Advertisement