Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Straffan ?

Options
  • 02-01-2014 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me if there is any broadband in Straffan and surrounding areas i.e. Kill Side. Who are the providers and what is the service like ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

My wife's family are about a mile past the K Club near the road to Sallins and they're with Eircom. Speeds not great but it's reliable enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Irish_wolf

Straffan has pretty bad infrastructure for broadband. Eircom is the only one I think and it's grand even if it might not be the best. Might be better off on one of the mobile ones if you cant get anything better. Depends what you need it for really.

Check out the e-fibre map. Tells you when each place is gonna get hooked up.

http://www.eircom.net/efibreinfo/map/

Celbo's getting it, Naas, Newcastle, even Prosperous, but there's just a big hole where Straffan is, don't know how near you are to kill you might just be in range if you're lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I'm on the road between Sallins and Straffan, (close to Zcott's in laws by all accounts) and use Imagine WiMax.

Its grand, not too expensive, quick enough (I am remotely connected to the office today without any issue), and I can recall it ever going offline and we have it about 3 or 4 years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭bridestream

Hi Prospect - what download/upload speeds are you getting with Imagine Wimax broadband? Eircom is only giving me 2.5 mbps download and 0.25 mbps upload.

I see from the Eircom efibre map every location around Straffan is getting efibre and Straffan is not down for efibre in the immediate future!!!

Hi Prospect - what download/upload speeds are you getting with Imagine Wimax broadband? Eircom is only giving me 2.5 mbps download and 0.25 mbps upload.

I see from the Eircom efibre map every location around Straffan is getting efibre and Straffan is not down for efibre in the immediate future!!!

• Advertisement

Hi,

I think it is 3Mbps but available up to 10Mbps.

Not sure on upload.

My house is near the back entrance to the K club and I can't even get 3 mbps! Very frustrating for the business I'm in.
    And, the Eircom 'fibre' map excludes Straffan from getting this service. All surrounding areas are getting fibre this year!!!!!
    One would think considering the number of houses within the K club, fibre would be made available this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 stonecipher

According to the eircom wholesale pages, Straffan exchange is awaiting cabinet design study. Probably will take another year or two before we get anything.

Thanks for that info stonecipher.

Don't mind eircom.

Previously they told me my line wouldn't be broadband enabled for months, the funny thing was that I was already a UTV broadband customer on an eircom line. Check with the other providers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement