Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tanaka strimmers, are they the best available?

• 02-01-2014 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭

I think it is time for me to invest in a decent strimmers that will last longer than a few seasons. The strimmers I have now is a castlegarden - junk, it didn't last 3 years. I am thinking that a 40cc Tanaka is the way to go now. They are 500 quid or there abouts. Worth it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

yea tanaka are definatly worth it,im still to hear anyone say a bad word about them..they enen have a nice feel when using..
    you not going to do much better they are on bar with stihl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

vinnie13 wrote: »
    yea tanaka are definatly worth it,im still to hear anyone say a bad word about them..they enen have a nice feel when using..
    you not going to do much better they are on bar with stihl

Oops, here I go putting my foot in it as usual.

Personally tanaka are not on a par with stihl or husqvarna or shindaiwa.

Vibration levels are very high and they are not quite as refined as the other makes, also I know someone who bought one and the bump and go head stopped working properly after only a coule of days use.

They are not as expensive as the other makes, and I feel that this shows (you get what you pay for)

And yes I know what I am talking about, I currently have only 3 strimmers/brushcutters but they are stihl/husky brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Oops, here I go putting my foot in it as usual.

Personally tanaka are not on a par with stihl or husqvarna or shindaiwa.

Vibration levels are very high and they are not quite as refined as the other makes, also I know someone who bought one and the bump and go head stopped working properly after only a coule of days use.

They are not as expensive as the other makes, and I feel that this shows (you get what you pay for)

And yes I know what I am talking about, I currently have only 3 strimmers/brushcutters but they are stihl/husky brands.

Aren't plant hire strimmers mostly Tanakas? I think that is a good endorsement .

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭keltoms05

for that price op you could buy a stihl KM 100 R Kombi System with a mowing head. Plus this leaves you the option to get more attachments in the future

Aren't plant hire strimmers mostly Tanakas? I think that is a good endorsement .

The OP asked if tanaka are the best available, and the answer as far as Ian concerned (working with strimmers professionally) would be no.

Hire firms may use them, doesn't mean they are the best, it just means they are durable and cheaper than the best.

• Advertisement

I think it is time for me to invest in a decent strimmers that will last longer than a few seasons. The strimmers I have now is a castlegarden - junk, it didn't last 3 years. I am thinking that a 40cc Tanaka is the way to go now. They are 500 quid or there abouts. Worth it?

What sort of work will you be doing with it? Does it need to be that big?

Sorry Jimmy, you are the OP lol, I was replying on my phone so couldn't see too well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭thyme

Bought a Tanaka strimmer back in 96, and still going strong.
    Starts first pull every time, had to replace a few little things like the throttle cable small things like that, but the engine just's keeps on going.
    And it gets some abuse during the season, two/three days non stop sometimes.

Have a Honda as well and I hate it, use the Tanaka every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,093 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Stihl

thyme wrote: »
    Bought a Tanaka strimmer back in 96, and still going strong.
    Starts first pull every time, had to replace a few little things like the throttle cable small things like that, but the engine just's keeps on going.
    And it gets some abuse during the season, two/three days non stop sometimes.

Have a Honda as well and I hate it, use the Tanaka every time.

You must have terrible vwf if you use it that regularly.

• Advertisement

What sort of work will you be doing with it? Does it need to be that big?

I have an old orchard, too uneven for a lawnmower. A few big nettle patches to keep down, brambles aswell. I was using a scyth up until now because my current strimmer is rubbish, ain't nobody got time for that.

keltoms05 wrote: »
    for that price op you could buy a stihl KM 100 R Kombi System with a mowing head. Plus this leaves you the option to get more attachments in the future

Hmmm.. Looks like a good yoke.

yes the km100 is good although the km130 would be better, or go for the fs100r they are a good strimmer.

Do you need loop handle or cow horns.

To be honest you probably don't need anything too powerful if it's just for nettles and stuff, chuck a blade on and away you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭thyme

You must have terrible vwf if you use it that regularly.

I'll probably be sorry I said this, but I'am not up to speed with the acronyms.

Advertisement