Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork floods Jan 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

I don't get it... Ennis like cork was always prone to flooding, like Cork the river goes all around the town, the name Ennis means Island after all
    Ennis town council spent millions on flood prevention works and no flooding yet despite high tide and massive rainfall
    Pics on Clare forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Has anyone got any updates on conditions in City Centre. Need to get to work this morning and I work on Fr. Mathew Quay. Nothing on the radio yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭SnowY32

Cork Lass wrote: »
    Has anyone got any updates on conditions in City Centre. Need to get to work this morning and I work on Fr. Mathew Quay. Nothing on the radio yet.

Flooding on Morrison's Island South Tce & South Mall

https://twitter.com/PaulByrne_1

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭SnowY32

Well, I arrived in work at 8.30 and there were no problems getting here. All flooding has subsided in this area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Just into work now. Go along by city hall/lapps quay, only surface water there was the poodle thats always there when it rains.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I was out and about before 7. Whoever was saying there was flooding on South Mall then was plain wrong. There were a few spots with some water remaining but most of it had receded. Loads of cars, buses and lorries driving up and down it. It was mostly gone from around the RTE building too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Is there anything that can be done to prevent this by the authorities? Flood prevention etc? Are the council to blame for not using money to the right affect while wasting millions on a hanging garden?? :rolleyes: ...just askin'...

There has been billions spent over the years. In the 60's I was treated to Nine Foot Floods which had cars and van floating away and entire shop front completely covered.

We don't see these floods today, Oliver Plunkett street has been raised considerably, basement storage areas filled in and abandoned all along the street and the river has been modified slightly but work in on going and weather patterns change continually.

Cork flooding is also conditional on the up stream dams, no matter what infrastructure that can be put in place, it can all be circumvented by the dam's controllers.

New flood relief measures are incorporated into the Atlantic Pond development which will double the tidal overflow containment and could lead to the disappearance of these tidal floods. For a few
    years at any rate.

The most obvious way to cope is to have steps up into the building and ensure any basements have the necessary anti flooding measures. Or to restrict the building of basements.

Believe it or not, they are already there on Patrick Street and the South Mall. Cork used to be like Venice and both these streets were part of the river and occupants used to tie up their boats by the railings and walk up the steps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Mushy wrote: »
    Just into work now. Go along by city hall/lapps quay, only surface water there was the poodle thats always there when it rains.

Who owns the poodle?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

angelfire9 wrote: »
    I don't get it... Ennis like cork was always prone to flooding, like Cork the river goes all around the town, the name Ennis means Island after all
    Ennis town council spent millions on flood prevention works and no flooding yet despite high tide and massive rainfall
    Pics on Clare forum!

It would require a lot more than those kinds of measures (many of which the city has anyway).

It needs a tidal barrier. The city is very low lying and sits on huge culverts (covered over waterways)

PoodleMiniPeanutpuppypeanut9wks905008.JPG

Is this the Poodle? :)

SpaceTime wrote: »
    It would require a lot more than those kinds of measures (many of which the city has anyway).

It needs a tidal barrier. The city is very low lying and sits on huge culverts (covered over waterways)

Full length of the river here has 9ft barriers installed, all the walls around the river in town centre were built up... First year in my memory that ENNIS has not flooded with massive rainfall, it's so bad around here the Shannon has burst it's banks in parts of limerick city
    By some miracle ENNIS town council actually got something right for once!

Full length of the river here has 9ft barriers installed, all the walls around the river in town centre were built up... First year in my memory that ENNIS has not flooded with massive rainfall, it's so bad around here the Shannon has burst it's banks in parts of limerick city

That wouldn't actually solve the problem in Cork as the water flows UNDER the city.

There are literally underground rivers running under several of the main streets.

That's what's under Cork's streets : http://www.corkpastandpresent.ie/media/culvert.jpg

Cork City's basically built on a collection of islands on a river delta. Over the centuries, they filled in the gaps between the islands and reclaimed a lot of land. That's what created the meandering streets in the city centre - they are actually rivers!

During high winds, you get a tidal surge up the harbour caused by wind driving it towards the city. If you combine that with high rainfall and high tide you've BIG problems in low lying parts of Cork City.

The river generally doesn't actually breech the quay walls. Rather, the water literally comes up through the culverts and up through the surface water drains causing the flooding.

The only way to prevent it would be to put a barrier down stream of the city that is raised during high tide events.

There's a similar situation Hull in England for example and a tidal barrier has made a huge difference.

Cork would need a pretty serious piece of engineering to fix this problem, but it's not insurmountable and it wouldn't need to be anything on the same scale as the Themes barrier. Tidal barriers in small / medium cities aren't that unusual as many of them are very low lying.

The massive floods a few years ago were caused by releasing a dam ! They weren't tidal flooding and that's when the river did badly breech the walls (in some cases demolished them!). However, that was quite a freak incident as opposed to the regular flood events that hit the city like this.

Solving this problem is going to take considerable investment, however it's very solvable.

I would be more concerned about how they're going to solve costal flooding in Dublin as a lot of it is very low lying and sitting on the coast.

I would suspect Dublin's going to need a tidal barrier for the city centre areas and dykes build along the built-up coastal areas. It's going to mean some sea-front housing losing its view, but it's better than being underwater.

At least Cork could probably be resolved with a tidal barrier, Dublin's going to need a hell of a lot more work as it's much more 'porous'

That wouldn't actually solve the problem in Cork as the water flows UNDER the city.

There are literally underground rivers running under several of the main streets.

That's what's under Cork's streets : http://www.corkpastandpresent.ie/media/culvert.jpg

Cork City's basically built on a collection of islands on a river delta. Over the centuries, they filled in the gaps between the islands and reclaimed a lot of land. That's what created the meandering streets in the city centre - they are actually rivers!

During high winds, you get a tidal surge up the harbour caused by wind driving it towards the city. If you combine that with high rainfall and high tide you've BIG problems in low lying parts of Cork City.

The river generally doesn't actually breech the quay walls. Rather, the water literally comes up through the culverts and up through the surface water drains causing the flooding.

The only way to prevent it would be to put a barrier down stream of the city that is raised during high tide events.

There's a similar situation Hull in England for example and a tidal barrier has made a huge difference.

Cork would need a pretty serious piece of engineering to fix this problem, but it's not insurmountable and it wouldn't need to be anything on the same scale as the Themes barrier. Tidal barriers in small / medium cities aren't that unusual as many of them are very low lying.

The water used to come up through the drains here too, back in June when the water levels were low the drainage system and river beds were cleaned out and some of the underground network was blocked up with water diverting to flood plains outside of the town, not a clue how they did it but am delighted it worked

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Ennis has nowhere near the level of flooding historically that Cork has, there have been two, maybe three, major floods in the past 15 years, and the council was told the flood defences put in place around 2006 were inadequate by the consulting archaeologists and would only force the floods down towards the Colaiste and Steeles, which happened in 2009. Anyway the defences needed for Ennis are only for about a mile long stretch and the weir by Clarecastle prevents most tidal movements in the Fergus. Cork harbour opens directly to the sea.

Also as pointed out by spacetime Cork is built on underground rivers. You can't really compare the flood defences of a town like Ennis, with one river running through it, with Cork city, which is built over and hemmed in by tributaries of a quite a bit larger and more powerful waterway.

The water used to come up through the drains here too, back in June when the water levels were low the drainage system and river beds were cleaned out and some of the underground network was blocked up with water diverting to flood plains outside of the town, not a clue how they did it but am delighted it worked

They're not drains, they're actually parts of the River Lee itself.

Cork has a pretty extensive network of culverts under the city carrying a hell of a lot of river water through what are literally underground rivers some of which are wider than many above ground rivers in other parts of the country.

Then you've issues with underground natural aquifers and porous limestone that carries water. On top of that you've got naturally very high ground water levels.

Then you've got brackish water intrusion issues where salt-water reacts with the foundations of buildings, wiring systems, cast iron pipes etc causing major problems.

I've heard that that's one of the major problems with pipe leakage in Cork City. You've a combination of cast iron pipes from the 1860s carrying mains water that are sitting in what amounts to a slightly salty marsh. So, they corrode rather spectacularly.

In general, Cork's flooding problems are pretty complicated in common with a lot of low-lying old European cities.

The water can literally just start coming up through the ground (not just the drains) but through duct networks, through foundations of buildings etc etc.

Preventing the tidal 'bulge' up the river is probably the only way it could be resolved.

If sea levels rise dramatically, areas of Cork and Dublin are pretty much write-offs without major dyke and barrier building. The cost of rising sea levels is going to be very steep if we're going to preserve a lot of older cities.

The other option is to let them sink or raise the street levels, but I don't know if that's acceptable.

There are really serious hydrological issues in both of those cities because of how they were built over the centuries.

Cork's probably worse in some respects - more complicated hydrological system but Dublin suffers from more extensive urban coastline.

I'm unfamiliar with problems that might impact Galway and Limerick, but they do not seem to be anywhere nearly as complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

Think it was this lad, he's always hanging around there.
    F40KluN.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

evilivor wrote: »
    Who owns the poodle?

Shhh it was early!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I am hearing that the River Lee has burst its' banks this morning around by South Terrace and South Mall.

• Advertisement

High tide has passed now though so it should be going down again until later this evening.

Do not park in low lying areas !!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 433 ✭✭lolosaur

It's fairly simple why Cork floods so much, the city centre is a collection of islands and river inlets that were covered over to create roads. Look at the building fronts like Le Chateau and some of the other buildings on South Mall, they have the weird entrance with steps up to another door because the lower level, what is now the front entrance, was actually a goods entrance for material being brought to the door by boat. Grand Parade, Patrick St., South Mall, Washinton St etc. were all river tributaries until the mid-eighteenth century. The dam keeps the city from flooding quite as much as it did in the past and slows the Lee down coming through the city.

Well there is this and the absolutely abject nature of the planning authorities. (the major contributor to the recession and everything that is wrong with the country imho)

This is what happens when you take away the major flood plains going into the city. they built the new western gateway building on a massive flood plain. remember how the old dog track used to flood to facilitate the river bursting it's banks? so much land has been reclaimed or ruined and it was a disaster waiting to happen.

The abandoned hotel opposite county hall is the one that really surprises me!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

kerry4sam wrote: »
    I am hearing that the River Lee has burst its' banks this morning around by South Terrace and South Mall.

Any sites for photos?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

Garda Checkpoints Cork on Facebook and Twitter are good for updates and pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

lolosaur wrote: »
    they built the new western gateway building on a massive flood plain.

they built that a metre above the highest flood point. though as it turned out, they needed another 3 inches :)

The abandoned hotel opposite county hall is the one that really surprises me!

Surprised them too. They had flood defenses built in that seemingly failed. However, it is speculated that those measures would have been inadequate.

deRanged wrote: »
    they built that a metre above the highest flood point. though as it turned out, they needed another 3 inches :)

3 inches, i dont think so.

try 3 feet.

they have adequate flood defences there now though. a metal gate for the basement. that will be great except it will take half an hour for someone to actually come down and close the thing. that is if anyone has actually given instruction to do so.

The mardyke have a simular system incase THE SWIMMING POOL GETS FLOODED........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

kerry4sam wrote: »

Inaccurate reporting I'd say. I very much doubt the banks have burst anywhere - a much more serious incident - it's more likely that the water level has raised up over the height of the quays/some city centre streets.

Incidentally I remember reading how if the Cork docklands were to be redeveloped, the Centre Park Road area would need to be raised by 3 metres! Half the city would be well under water if the river ever came close to that height!

• Advertisement

every second week that road is flooded. an absolute joke. how can people be expected to go dogging, when they cant even get down through 2 foot of water. a disgrace i tells ya.

Advertisement