Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Animation and graphics from Database

Options
  • 02-01-2014 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hello there I'm looking for some advice and alternate possibilities to help me find a simpler way to create my website. There are a few things I'm looking for suggestions about.
    • displaying Latex in html
    • drawing graphs like f(x) = sin(x*t) and maybe allowing users to vary t like in mathematica
    • allowing users to create very simple animations.
    At the moment it is horrible. Users can create content for a page like

"hello there this is a function [LATEX]f(x) = sin(x)[LATEX] and here is a graph of it [GRAPH]f(x) = sin(x)[GRAPH] bye bye"
    This is stored as an entry in the database. Then when presenting this content javascript is used to get all this info using regexp to find stuff between tags and latex image is retreived using

someImage.src = "http://latex.codecogs.com/svg.latex?" + "latexTagStuff"

That works for latex anyway but is a bit awkward with multiple equations wrong syntax etc. For the plotting sin(x) I could do something similar and draw a polyline or something with javascript and svg but I imagine it would be really messy storing this in database and working it out with javascript.

I don't know where to start with animation. I dont want to force people to create flash animations or anything like that. I want to make a simple tool so a user could for example create a 2 circles orbiting each other or somehting. The user would drag a circle into the scene. draw some shape for trajectory or something. This would get stored in database and animation would be created with svg from this info... or something. Is this a horrible way to allow users make simple animations? Any simpler way without forcing users to learn how to use animation software.

Anyway I feel this is a bit messy and awkward so can anyone suggest simpler ways to do it. Maybe avoid reg exp somehow or have better database design, or some tools which could make it simpler.

Thanks!!

Advertisement