Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Scope Mounts and Scope.

Options
  • 02-01-2014 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭

Well lads just want a bit of advice want a decent mounts for my scope!its 1 inch tube and the dovetail is 9-11mm

Im looking at nice leupold and burris mounts but there for weaver and picatinny rails so they wouldnt fit!?

Also might upgrade the scope so i might but the scope then right size 25mm or 30mm mounts.Any ideas on a good scope for a spring air rifle with losts of magnification 3-14 atleast around 80 euros maybe second hand!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

I've had sportsmatch mounts on a hornet and .22 before and never gave any trouble and intershoot sell them

http://stores.ebay.ie/INTERSHOOT/Sportsmatch-/_i.html?_fsub=1863911012

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭1shot16

Sound whats the diff between the mounts stuck together and apart if ye get me?What scope did u av on her?

I had a s&b 4-16x50 mounted in them on the hornet for a while and never lost zero, the cheaper nikko stirling scopes are ok for the money i have one on my .22 but the mounts that come with them aren't for an 11mm rail, what rifle have you?
    I'd like to change my nikko scope though as it has a duplex reticle and i'd prefer a mildot or varmint style reticle but every time i think of changing it istart thinking of changing rifle instead so have never bothered

The nikko stirling scope i have is the older model 4-12x42 or 44 gold crown, came with flip up caps aswell but i never used them as the scope has the parrallax adjustment on the objective so the hinge used to hit the barrel when you turn it and it was a bit lose so just threw them in a drawer somewhere

Make sure you pick a nice reticle for yourself

That nikko has mildots

Ive a spring .22 air rifle weihrauch hw97k

• Advertisement

I never had an air rifle so have no personal experience with them but i know springers can be fairly hard on scopes so i'd try buy something decent enough, whats ur max budget

The difference between 1 piece and two piece mounts is that the one piece ones have more contact with the rail and usually have 4 screws to clamp it onto the rail compared to two piece mounts which generally have one screw per mount so a one piece one will have twice as many screws clamping it and more surface area touching the rifle so more friction holding it, the rings will also be perfectly aligned so your scope won't be marked by them or under any stress from misaligned mounts which can happen with mounts with separate rings and bases so you won't scratch or damage your scope when mounting it unless you over tighten it, the down side is they can block the ejection port on a rifle making it awkward to single load a round but you won't have that problem with yours, they will also be a small bit heavier,
    Most gundealers usually have sportsmatch mounts for .22's so your best option is to buy your scope and then bring your gun and scope to a dealer and get the mounts off him so you can get ones that are as low as possible which should make the rifle more comfortable to shoot and will stop you having to use a cheek riser

Yeah ive a gamo 3-9X40 on it sure id be looking around 80.Maybe get a scope that would suit a centrefire rifle?

Springers can be harder on scopes than a centre-fire rifle as they have a two way recoil so a good scope that can handle that is a must, so look for a scope with a good recoil rating, i know most bushnell and hawke scopes have and mtc seem to be very popular in the uk, just out of curiosity what makes you want to change the scope and mounts on it, is it losing zero? Or do you just fancy a change

ormondprop wrote: »
    Springers can be harder on scopes than a centre-fire rifle as they have a two way recoil so a good scope that can handle that is a must, so look for a scope with a good recoil rating, i know most bushnell and hawke scopes have and mtc seem to be very popular in the uk, just out of curiosity what makes you want to change the scope and mounts on it, is it losing zero? Or do you just fancy a change

Its holding zero okay just fancy more magnification,Id love a Bushnell banner or hawke eye mabye a bsa

If i were u so i'd stay using the gamo and stay saving, your not going to notice much difference going from a 3-9 to a 4-12, i'd save up for something like a 4-16 or 6.5-20 hawke or bushnell if you want more mag, also does your scope have parallax adjustment? Cheaper scopes with it have an adjustable objective (ao) compared to more expensive ones which have it on the side of the scope, i don't think i'd buy another ao scope as they can be awkward to adjust at times, both my rifles have 4-12 scopes on them, my .243 has fixed parallax so you have nothing to play with when shooting besides zooming in or out if i have to but for an air rifle or a .22 where you will be shooting closer distances you kind of need it and my nikko on the .22 is an ao scope and its a pain in the balls at times, so if i was changing my scope on my .22 i'd love to change it to a scope with the adjustment wheel on the side for easier use and lower mounting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Have a look at the game king or the mountmasters on this site.
    http://www.tacticalscope.co.uk/rifle-scopes---nikko-stirling-72-c.asp
    I got my nighteater 30mm on here and its a fantastic scope. €200 to the door worked out cheaper than anywhere else too.

As for mounts, If the mounts that come with the scope are no good you find, ive a set of sportsmatch mounts that i dont to fit a 11mm rail that work well and never gave issues with holding zero, drop me a PM if theyre no good.

Advertisement