Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Striped screw head

Options
  • 02-01-2014 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section, mods feel free to move.

Alright guys, just asking for some help in regards to a striped screw head. I'm currently repairing a netbook and the ONE screw I've to remove to flip the mobo over to upgrade the ram is totally banjaxed.. Absolutely striped, no head.. just a deep circular hole..

I tried a larger size screw driver, a rubber band and tried cutting the case around it so I could just cut the bottom of the screw out but I don't want to damage any circuits on the mobo. Don't worry, it's my own personal project so I'm not selling it on etc. I was thinking of buying a soldering iron and using a bit of solder on it.. let it dry and then twist it out??

Any help would be gratefully appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

No way solder is going to stick to it enough for you to unscrew it.

Drill it out with a small drill bit. That's you're only option i'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭elstingeo

Ah.. So could ya explain it a bit further? Like I get a drill with a tiny drill bit and drill straight through the top to the bottom? Essentially splitting the screw, or just giving me enough room to put a small flat head screw driver in or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

I was trying to find you a video on youtube and spotted a video for your idea with the solder, which i thought would never work but apparently it does! :D

Give your idea a shot first I guess. Otherwise, you would just drill into where you would put the screw driver, drilling the head off the screw.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

You need a drill bit a little wider than the threaded part of the screw, just drill it til the head falls off. Maybe you can remove the rest by other means. No Kango's !

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭elstingeo

I've to be careful though due the the fact that the mobo's exposed! I'm mega paranoid about damaging any circuits! Thanks for the advice lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Can you post a picture of the screw, what material is it going into? Plastic?

If its going into plastic heat up the screw with a soldering iron and it should just melt the plastic and come out.

Depending on access to the screw you might be able to grab it with a very fine electronic snips and turn it, you only need to turn it one turn then it will be loose enough to come out.

As others have said you can always drill it out using a battery drill or something that has good speed control.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

this is what you need:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/CHRISTMAS-STOCKING-FILLER-DIY-5-PIECE-SCREW-REMOVER-SET-POWER-CRAFT-EXTRACT-BNIB-/141101314675

or you could buy epoxy glue in Dealz, put a small drop into the screw hole, press screwdriver in, wait 5 minutes and unscrew.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

If you have access to a dremel style tool, cut a slot in the top of the head so you can use a flat-head screwdriver to remove it instead?

Advertisement