Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Week day dinners

Options
  • 02-01-2014 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

Need some inspiration please, I am back to work after mat leave on monday :mad: and need to plan my dinners for next week at least. I have a slow cooker so intend using that but thats the extent of my planning so far. I really need to get a move on as I am in for a shock next week...

Just to complicate things I don't eat chicken which is generally quick and easy and my husband is a carnivore so veggie dishes aren't really an option either. I also have a 2yr old and 8 month old who need to join in on the evening meal.

I would be very grateful of some suggestions as my brain can't think beyond that 'icky' back to school feeling at the moment and I have forgotten what it was like to cook when I was working....!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Steak and greens - can be ready very fast and is very easy

Made-ahead meatballs in tomato sauce; make a big batch, freeze in portions and chuck into the slow cooker

Bolognaise works well in the slow cooker

Pan fried fish and veg

Omelette with cheese and veg

Stir fry - any veg and/ or meat you want

Chorizo & bean stew (slow cooker)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Here's a family Pasta favourite I make most weeks:

Whiz the ingredients below in a blender and fry for a few minutes in a frying pan on a medium heat:

2 anchovies (from a tin..wrap the remaining in pairs in foil and keep in freezer for next time)
    clove of garlic thinly sliced
    half a punnet of cherry tomatoes
    a cup of grated cheese
    a glug of olive oil

Cook and drain pasta and add the above paste to the pasta

Fry the remaining tomatoes with sliced mushroom and add to the pasta and give it all a good mix around

Plate up and top with prosciutto (about a packet 100g (1e79 in Tesco))
    Top with parmesan and black pepper

Spagetti Carbonara

Spagetti
    1 beaten egg
    1 cup of grated cheese - I use a combination of parmesan and cheddar
    I packed of lardons / sliced streaky bacon
    I clove of garlic, just peeled

Fry the bacon in butter with the clove of garlic. When cooked, remove the garlic.
    Fry and drain the pasta. Add the egg and give it a good stip ensuring that the spagetti is nicely coated with the egg. If you are making a big portion you might need another egg
    Add half the grated cheese and the bacon. Again give it a good stir. Just before serving add the remainder of the cheese.
    Plate up and sprinkle some more parmesan with some black pepper

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭stoutykid

Thanks Loire they are lovely recipies. Think my husband is just going to have get over not having half a cow at every meal from next week... its not good for him anyway so these are def going to be on the menu.

I have made a carbonara before and he has rudely just said where is the meat!! I love quick pasta meals personally.

Homemadecider thanks some great ideas there.

Keep them coming folks. I might not have to test my brain have to think myself for the rest of the month at this rate....;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Ginger chicken and noodles

Thumb sized piece of ginger chopped
    Sweet pepper chopped
    Hot pepper chopped, I use Scotch Bonnet but depends on your taste.
    Bunch of scallions chopped

Chicken fillets diced

Soy sauce, a few splashes
    Chinese five spice, a few shakes
    Pepper, a shake
    Honey, a couple of dollops

Pack of noodles (I use LIDLs)

Cook the diced fillets in pan with drop of olive oil til almost done, add vegetables, seasonings, honey, continue to cook for a few minutes.

In the meantime boil up noodles.

When noodles are cooked, drain off water, add to meat and veg, toss all about, and serve.

Sometimes I fill it out with grated carrot, bamboo shoots or bean sprouts. If you like mushrooms they are a good addition also.

It's quick, simple and very tasty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

If are willing to put in a bit of time at the weekends, then you can drastically cut down on the time you have to spend in the kitchen during the week.
    You could make chicken or fish goujons, fishcakes, homemade burgers/ meatballs and freeze them so you only have to take them out to defrost in the mornings.
    You can do any manner of lamb or beef stews, curries, chillies, casseroles in the slow cooker. If you make double what you need, then you can freeze them for another day.
    If you started a menu for every week/ fortnight it would help you. Even just to ease you in to your first month or so back to work.

Burgers

1 onion finely chopped
    minced beef or lamb
    1 egg beaten
    1 cup of breadcrumbs

Fry the onion for a few mins until it is soft. Allow to cool then add to the mince with the beaten egg. Add some thyme & parsely if you have it. Add some salt/pepper. Dump in the breadcrumbs and mash it all together with your hands. If it's dry add another egg. I don't bother beating this egg - just squish it up with my hands. Make burgers from the mixture. When I'm making these I make a massive batch (usually about 40 burgers). I wrap them individually in foil and keep in the freezer.

When cooking them, do so on a medium heat, otherwise they might split. When one side is cooked turn over and top with cheese.

Serve in buns or chiabatta rolls with some cooked onions, mushrooms and relish.

Yum!

Loire.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

These forums are full of suitable recipes. Please check out The Cooking Club or the Easy Peasy or Random Recipes threads. There is also a thread for Slow Cooker recipes.

There is no need for another recipes thread.

Closed.

tHB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement