Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

limerick city of culture public meeting, Clarion Hotel

• 02-01-2014 8:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭

Meeting tomorrow(friday) un Shannon Rowing club to discussthis & find a way to continue..
    Posting just to get word and info out

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Meeting tomorrow(friday) un Shannon Rowing club to discussthis & find a way to continue..
    Posting just to get word and info out

Find a way to continue? Was Pat Cox not on the radio today talking about how the big events were already organised and what not?

Would have thought that the folks on pretty hefty wages should be pulling the finger out and earning those wages rather than going down the public meeting route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Pretty sure it'll continue irrespective of someone quitting after a performance review

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Had phrased it badly, its being organiseddby one of the leaders of centrestage, a way to get the real.people.of limerick into the project and try and get the actual grouo, on their money, to cop on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

This may interest some readers:

Hi ALL:
    The Chairman, CEO, and City and County Manager have requested that we combine with them for a joint open meeting at the earlier time of 6.30pm tonight to facilitate everyone!
    NEW VENUE! The Pegasus Room - Clarion HOTEL!
    SPREAD THE WORD

Limerick City of Culture 2014: AN OPEN PUBLIC MEETING HAS BEEN ARRANGED FOR TONIGHT FRIDAY 3rd January for everyone: CLARION HOTEL (Pegasus Room) Limerick at 6.30pm to discuss the current situation and how we can get this project back on track and regain our reputation as THE BEST CITY IN IRELAND!. We need to show our support for The LIMERICK City Of Culture Project, for and by the PEOPLE of Limerick - and take this project back from the brink! All are Welcome!

Please Please spread the word and come along!

http://www.facebook.com/events/718679134817552/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

Sorry, I started a thread with the updated details of this meeting. Sorry I didn`t see this one.

http://www.facebook.com/events/718679134817552/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭fi314

Who is sharing the meeting? Be good if an outsider,perhaps a trained facilitator, could run this so that the real issues are discussed without people becoming defensive or territorial. Be awful if it was just another talking shop but my gut feeling is that's what it will end up as

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Irger

I fear a one sided rant somehow. I hope for a good constructive and positive outcome. Yes, people have resigned, but life and work has to go on! We can not throw this away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 coffeejunkie78

If you attend this meeting, you will only be an extra in a PR exercise. The people with their grubby paws on the 6 million budget want real democratic participation of the general public as much as a vampire wants garlic and crucifixes in his Christmas stocking. They just want you there for a photo op. The members of the ruling class who have hijacked this meeting and moved its location will ruthlessly control any "debate" and what can and cannot be said. The time for genuine public consultation on City of Culture was months ago. Don't bother dignifying this damage limitation exercise with your presence. Let your "social betters" stew in the mess they have created.

If you attend this meeting, you will only be an extra in a PR exercise. The people with their grubby paws on the 6 million budget want real democratic participation of the general public as much as a vampire wants garlic and crucifixes in his Christmas stocking. They just want you there for a photo op.

While I agree that the process so far has been flawed. I do believe that this meeting is a result of the public and media backlash. If this is something that your passionate about, and I would gather you are from your post, not participating will only feed the PR machine you talk of. If you have genuine points this is an opportunity to make them heard. Lots if ranting here but not many constructive suggestions

fi314 wrote: »
    If you attend this meeting, you will only be an extra in a PR exercise. The people with their grubby paws on the 6 million budget want real democratic participation of the general public as much as a vampire wants garlic and crucifixes in his Christmas stocking. They just want you there for a photo op.

While I agree that the process so far has been flawed. I do believe that this meeting is a result of the public and media backlash. If this is something that your passionate about, and I would gather you are from your post, not participating will only feed the PR machine you talk of. If you have genuine points this is an opportunity to make them heard. Lots if ranting here but not many constructive suggestions

How does not participating feed the PR machine? To participate requires a belief that I live in a functioning democracy, which is a belief I lack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭peckerhead

I have to agree that the people who ultimately call the shots on this are a bunch of incorrigible mé-féiners, and that this meeting is intended to give a veneer of legitimacy to a shoddy display of gombeenery which has done the city a grave disservice (I speak as an "outsider" who has lived longer in Limerick than anywhere else and raised my kids here. It's their city, if not mine).

Write instead to the (national) papers demanding that Limerick City Council take this taxpayer-funded project back from the snouts-in-the-trough crowd and re-advertise the relevant posts on a competitive/meritocratic basis this time.

I am sorry to say but your attitude is exactly whats wrong with Ireland today, when given an opportunity to participate you refuse to and complain about lack of democracy. You have to sometimes be that change and assist in achieving change. What exactly are you doing apart from bring a very negative attitude? A democratic society is one which you can openly air your views and hopefully influence process. This a great opportunity for limerick and would urge people who are passionate about limerick to attend and rectify the mess that this event is turning into. This event will attract a lot of national media and I hope will be neutrally chaired.

I am sorry to say but your attitude is exactly whats wrong with Ireland today, when given an opportunity to participate you refuse to and complain about lack of democracy. You have to sometimes be that change and assist in achieving change. What exactly are you doing apart from bring a very negative attitude? A democratic society is one which you can openly air your views and hopefully influence process. This a great opportunity for limerick and would urge people who are passionate about limerick to attend and rectify the mess that this event is turning into. This event will attract a lot of national media and I hope will be neutrally chaired.

The attitude of the people who have hijacked City of Culture and turned it into a jobs for the boys and girls fiasco is exactly what is wrong with Ireland today. They didn't get to where they are, doling out patronage to their cronies with impunity, by allowing genuine democratic debate and participation in any form. They are only allowing this public meeting to take place, because they have been forced into a corner, by our media doing its job properly. Hoping that the event will be neutrally chaired is like hoping the Easter bunny will visit. Making sure it is not neutrally chaired is the first step to establishing the ruthless control I previously mentioned. I would see what some people call a "negative attitude" as realism and a capacity for independent thought.

I am sure your points are shared by many but my question is what are you as a individual going to do?- Writing anonymously on boards urging people not to attend a meeting isn't exactly inspiring. Its very easy to critic what is wrong sit back and do nothing- Irish people are very good at that!

Peckerhead had a good point about letter writing but I think this meeting will attract a lot of national media.

I am sure your points are shared by many but my question is what are you as a individual going to do?- Writing anonymously on boards urging people not to attend a meeting isn't exactly inspiring. Its very easy to critic what is wrong sit back and do nothing- Irish people are very good at that!

Peckerhead had a good point about letter writing but I think this meeting will attract a lot of national media.

Dissent is a vital part of any functioning democracy. It is a worthy pursuit, and I feel that boards.ie gives me a far better opportunity to air my legitimate grievances than that stage-managed, co-opted, neutered PR exercise about to commence in the Clarion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Dissent is a vital part of any functioning democracy. It is a worthy pursuit, and I feel that boards.ie gives me a far better opportunity to air my legitimate grievances than that stage-managed, co-opted, neutered PR exercise about to commence in the Clarion.

Be sure to keep an open mind now .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 Bread Head

Heads will have to role now given the latest news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

Why what's the latest news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Hopefully things can turn around!

I have to agree with the CEO with wanting rid of that rap piece from the song. Awful stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Midnight Shadow

This whole situation will draw in so many players that
    1. No one will be held responsible
    2. Limerick will lose out hugely and look ridiculous

I was listening to Claire Byrne show today and it was her top item

There were many "inferences" to cronyism.

The budget for this event was not sanctioned until October 15 2013...OMG the event organisers had no real budget till then!!!!

The appointment of Ms Ryan is tainted by political chicanery..but one of the Culture board claimed that all problems went back to a lack of budget committment.

It is potentially a massive event. I have spent some time in Derry (this years city of culture in UK) over the past few years. They have been preparing and benefitting economically from their big event for the last few years. And they carried it off brilliantly.

The Culture Board guy on radio this morning said that there was no blueprint for our event...for god sake, ask Derry, Liverpool, etc for help...they have all done it.

The lack of budget committment brings it back to finance minister Noonan and Minister Deenihan.

so now two ministers and the culture board are in the mix..and Pat Cox....NO ONE WILL BE BLAMED....just lots of political mumbo jumbo and muddied waters will be fed to the public until we give up.....

And the six million budget....well who knows where it will go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I feel that boards.ie gives me a far better opportunity to air my legitimate grievances than that stage-managed, co-opted, neutered PR exercise about to commence in the Clarion.

You think that ranting on an internet forum holds more weight than an opportunity to ask questions directly of the people involved in the city of culture?

Good luck with that.

I not so sure on that Aidric...the media keep a close eye on us for stories and public opinion...it might not happen often that some of our discussions make news....but for local news, we are a source

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I not so sure on that Aidric...the media keep a close eye on us for stories and public opinion...it might not happen often that some of our discussions make news....but for local news, we are a source

That doesn't change my point. If you have a chance to direct questions at the people involved in the confines of a meeting then you grab it. Soundbites on the net aren't going to influence policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

Aidric wrote: »
    You think that ranting on an internet forum holds more weight than an opportunity to ask questions directly of the people involved in the city of culture?

Good luck with that.

i recon that the answers on here make more sense than the answers recieved at this meeting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

ninty9er wrote: »
    Pretty sure it'll continue irrespective of someone quitting after a performance review

with 6m to spend you can bet your bottom dollar it will, no professional politicos will turn their noses up at that moxy.

Fair point Aidric....nothing like giving it direct...and it defo gets the best results..but every little helps

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Lisa2011

This was a chance to get Limerick on the map for the right reasons and when a former fair city actress resigns along with karl wallace it does not look good for the city. It even made the BBC news. That is not good. I was looking at the event in waterford they did a great job and it makes you wonder why the board and Pat Cox cant do the same here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,338 ✭✭✭✭phog

Lisa2011 wrote: »
    This was a chance to get Limerick on the map for the right reasons and when a former fair city actress resigns along with karl wallace it does not look good for the city. It even made the BBC news. That is not good. I was looking at the event in waterford they did a great job and it makes you wonder why the board and Pat Cox cant do the same here

Do you agree that Wallace should have been allowed spend about a 1/3 of the budget in one event over one weekend? That seems to have been the stumbling block.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

It is potentially a massive event. I have spent some time in Derry (this years city of culture in UK) over the past few years. They have been preparing and benefitting economically from their big event for the last few years. And they carried it off brilliantly.

Not to say that the way things are happening in Limerick isn't a bloody disgrace but I'm not sure you can compare the UK and the Irish City of Culture events. There are 69 cities (and counting) in the UK, your city being the City of Culture could literally be a once in a lifetime event. It's a massive deal, you don't get a do over if you do it badly and as a consequence there is a high standard to meet. We have 6 cities, there is going to be an attitude of 'sure if we bugger this up, we'll have another turn around 2019.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭pigtown

iguana wrote: »
    Not to say that the way things are happening in Limerick isn't a bloody disgrace but I'm not sure you can compare the UK and the Irish City of Culture events. There are 69 cities (and counting) in the UK, your city being the City of Culture could literally be a once in a lifetime event. It's a massive deal, you don't get a do over if you do it badly and as a consequence there is a high standard to meet. We have 6 cities, there is going to be an attitude of 'sure if we bugger this up, we'll have another turn around 2019.'

Derry got way more lead in time, allowing them to woo the Fleadh Ceoil, the Turner Prize, and the Other Voices festivals to the city. These brought significant visitors and exposure to the city for relatively little outlay.

Advertisement