Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apple tv V Now tv

• 02-01-2014 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Just wondering are they basically the same thing and do the same thing? There is a massive difference in price between the two. Does anyone have either?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I have both, and they are completely different products.

Apple TV offers airplay streaming for anybody with a compatible Mac or iOS device. It has the Netflix app as well as others. It can't be customised as much, e.g. Apple control the apps available on the device. You can install Plex on the ATV though a bit of a hack though.

The NowTV has a few decent apps, mostly from the Roku store. You can side load an app using developer mode, I have Plex on mine and love it. Netflix isn't supported on the box, it also comes with NowTv and the Sky store pre-installed so they could be useful.

Both have similar features but Apple TV can do a lot more, however NowTv is a bargain. Find out what your looking for it to do for you and then decide. For the €15 and very little hassle you might as well just order the NowTv box even if you don't need it. It's worth it just for Plex alone IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

DubDJ wrote: »
    I have both, and they are completely different products.

Apple TV offers airplay streaming for anybody with a compatible Mac or iOS device. It has the Netflix app as well as others. It can't be customised as much, e.g. Apple control the apps available on the device. You can install Plex on the ATV though a bit of a hack though.

The NowTV has a few decent apps, mostly from the Roku store. You can side load an app using developer mode, I have Plex on mine and love it. Netflix isn't supported on the box, it also comes with NowTv and the Sky store pre-installed so they could be useful.

Both have similar features but Apple TV can do a lot more, however NowTv is a bargain. Find out what your looking for it to do for you and then decide. For the €15 and very little hassle you might as well just order the NowTv box even if you don't need it. It's worth it just for Plex alone IMO.

Is it easy to install Plex on it and where can you get it?(NowTv). I have a ATV2 and recently took the jailbreak off it so no longer have Plex on it.

I`m currently using an iPad to Airplay from Mac to ATV2 but would prefer something with an interface on my TV.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

It's easy to install plex. The Now TV is incredible value and it's still improving. eg it got 4od just before the Christmas. A huge thread is here on Boards with loads of help on how to get it and install plex etc. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057001096

adox wrote: »
    Is it easy to install Plex on it and where can you get it?(NowTv). I have a ATV2 and recently took the jailbreak off it so no longer have Plex on it.

I`m currently using an iPad to Airplay from Mac to ATV2 but would prefer something with an interface on my TV.:)

Now TV can be ordered from the NowTV website. It's £10 but you'll need to use Parcel Motel to get it shipped to Ireland. Costs about €15 altogether.

And once you have it you can install a few apps from the Roku store that's on the box itself, apps like Sky News, 4oD, Vevo, BBC iPlayer (but that is trickier to get working) and a lot more apps.

Then you can follow this video and get Plex installed. Plex is the main use and what really makes this box useful for me.

I also got 6 months of NowTV for £15 when I signed up but I'll be cancelling that at the end of this month as it's going back up to full price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Thanks for the replies. Just ordered one there.
    I used my Sky login details to register. Hope this will work ok and I shouldnt have had to set up a new account?

• Advertisement

adox wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. Just ordered one there.
    I used my Sky login details to register. Hope this will work ok and I shouldnt have had to set up a new account?

If you do need a new account and don't want to worry about trials and all that you can set up a new account and close the tab when you get to the payment and the account will work anyway.

Advertisement