Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alarm Advice

Options
  • 02-01-2014 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭

We're currently looking to have a new alarm fitted to the house after it was broken into on Christmas Eve and the existing alarm control panel and outside bell both ripped off the wall.

My mother has arranged for someone to come out to the house this evening to have a look, with a view to have this installed.

There are sensors on all windows and doors in the house already, but it would probably be advisable to change them for new. The system my mother is looking at only includes one door sensor, which is something I'm not too keen on, I would prefer to have all the windows with sensors as the house is a bungalow.

Does anyone have any opinion on the above system, or any recommendations on a system/installer in the Dublin area?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Am I reading that right?
    All you are getting is 2 motions sensors & 1 door contact?
    That is not enough protection. As a minimum you need all ground floor and accessible windows protected by sensors & contacts and then 2 internal motion sensors to confirm monitored alarms.
    Shop around and get at least 3 quotes.
    Get someone 2 call out and do a proper survey to see what's required.
    All PSA licensed company's are obliged to give you a written system design proposal. Use this to compare like with like against other company's .
    Don't rush into anything , if something looks too good to be true it usually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

This is exactly what I've been telling my mother. We've had eggs thrown at windows in the past in what I can only assume was to check the alarm box was functioning. There is another company calling to the house tomorrow, so we'll see what they have to say

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Good stuff. Let us know how you get on.

Just had a HKC system installed (unsure which model!). Brand new shock sensors on all windows & doors, and door contacts on the front and back door. No monitoring on it, but I think that's something that we can add later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

That's a very quick turn around, obviously not very busy

• Advertisement

Presuming its the Securewave & not the older Securewatch.

Yep, it's the Securewave

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

bennyx_o wrote: »
    Just had a HKC system installed (unsure which model!). Brand new shock sensors on all windows & doors, and door contacts on the front and back door. No monitoring on it, but I think that's something that we can add later.

As the house is a bungalow and the fact that as you mentioned that there is only contacts on the doors is there a beam or two installed as well?

Yes, theres a beam that covers the majority of the hall

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

As a matter of intetest can i ask how many shock sensors you got installed is it wired or wireless.

Also can i ask how much it was installed pm me if you want i would appreciate it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 drunkenbarney

There are a couple of companies advertising alarm packs with only one mc and two pirs, usually for around 499, thats just to get in the door so they can get you to go for extras. A joke of a system. I get customers complaining im charging too much in comparison but when i get them to compare like for like they realize these offers are pure crap

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Shoves

Hi guys

can anyone PM me recommendations for alarm installer in Dublin please.

Cheers,
    Shoves

• Registered Users Posts: 8 paulydicanio

Hi guys, I'm also on the hunt for an alarm system and have no idea what I should be looking for. Any advice/suggestions would be very welcome!

One post deleted.
    Please do not post the same questions across multiple threads.

Advertisement