Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premier League Team of 2013

• 02-01-2014 9:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭

Bc_gfMeIUAALudN.png

Premier League ‏@premierleague 2h
    The votes are in... Here's the #BPL team of 2013 as voted by users of our website.

Strong Everton presence here. Thought Hazard would in there too. Let the debate begin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Bc_gfMeIUAALudN.png

Premier League ‏@premierleague 2h
    The votes are in... Here's the #BPL team of 2013 as voted by users of our website.

Strong Everton presence here. Thought Hazard would in there too. Let the debate begin
    I hate Man Utd a much as anybody bit they won the league at a canter. They should have more than one player in there. Van Persie instead of Aguero IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

You'd think they would spell the right back's name correctly for a start (the pic in the OP is from the PL official site - http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/news/news/2013-14/jan/premierleaguecom-users-team-of-the-year-2013-revealed.html

4 out of the back 5 is impressive for Everton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Everton were the meanest at the back, conceding just 33, while Arsenal's backline was breached 34 times.

Guess thats why Everton have so many defenders in the team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Gerrard? That feels like a sop based on legend rather than reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Strongly biased towards the current season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

The goalkeeper, right back and right centre half, and the ENTIRE midfield could be quibbled with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I hate Man Utd a much as anybody bit they won the league at a canter. They should have more than one player in there. Van Persie instead of Aguero IMO

Van Persie has been back to the level he was at during most of his time at Arsenal since February though...except for a few patches here and there.

Gerrard in is laughable....getting the Giggs vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Gerrard there seems absurd. Kos at CB alongside Mert, they've just been awesome all year.

Apart from that, it's pretty good. Obviously you can quibble, but there are no glaring omissions.

Maybe RVP for Aguero. Tough call that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Steven Gerrard??? lols....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Gerrard there seems absurd. Kos at CB alongside Mert, they've just been awesome all year.

Apart from that, it's pretty good. Obviously you can quibble, but there are no glaring omissions.

Maybe RVP for Aguero. Tough call that.

Gerrard isn't that absurd. I would say his goal and assist record for 2013 for a midfielder is as good as anyone. He has been nearly ever present as well. Who would you have instead.

• Advertisement

niallo27 wrote: »
    Gerrard isn't that absurd. I would say his goal and assist record for 2013 for a midfielder is as good as anyone. He has been nearly ever present as well. Who would you have instead.

I would actually include Bale. The half season he had at the start of the year was monstrously good.

I would actually include Bale. The half season he had at the start of the year was monstrously good.

He is gone though. Are there any other midfielders you could say had stand out years ahead of Gerrard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

He is gone though. Are there any other midfielders you could say had stand out years ahead of Gerrard.

Hazard?

Why would being gone exclude him? If Suarez had only signed for Liverpool in the summer and played as he has, he'd still have made the team based on half a season.

If it were insisted that Bale wasn't an option, then Hazard or Arteta, perhaps. Off the top of my head, it's hard to say. Gerrard's just not been particularly good at all when I've seen him.

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Hazard?

Not much between them in the stats. Hazard was poor enough start of the year.

Why would being gone exclude him? If Suarez had only signed for Liverpool in the summer and played as he has, he'd still have made the team based on half a season.

If it were insisted that Bale wasn't an option, then Hazard or Arteta, perhaps. Off the top of my head, it's hard to say. Gerrard's just not been particularly good at all when I've seen him.

I presume you had to have played the entire year in the premier league. Hazard is a good call. Arteta stop will you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Ramsey is there on a third of a season...including Bale wouldn't be that big a stretch...Mata could also be in with a shout based a the second half of last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Stupid team

I hate teams that shoehorn players in simply to have them in the team.

Gerrard is a joke surely?

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Ramsey is there on a third of a season...including Bale wouldn't be that big a stretch...Mata could also be in with a shout based a the second half of last season.

Gerrard has been consistent for the year though. He already has 3 goals and 6 assists this season. I can find his stats for January to May but I remember them being very impressive.

Lallana
    Hazard
    Cazorla
    Oscar

Could probably come up with a few more if I put thought into it.

• Advertisement

Gerrard has been consistent for the year though. He already has 3 goals and 6 assists this season. I can find his stats for January to May but I remember them being very impressive.

I dont think you would find too many Liverpool fans arguing with the statement that Gerrard is more of a passenger these days though. He doesnt really run around anymore even, just plays in short bursts and rests a lot of the time.

Him being included isnt quite as bad as the time Giggs won the POTY award but it is in the same area of sentiment imo

kryogen wrote: »
    Lallana
    Hazard
    Cazorla
    Oscar

Could probably come up with a few more if I put thought into it.

They haven't been consistent though. When I first saw Gerrard I did think to myself what the **** is he doing there but the more I thought of it he has just as much right to be in there as any player you have mentioned it. You can't compare it to giggs. It's not even on the same planet. He got player of the year playing was it 17 games.

Ramsey was Arsenal's player of the month every month from May to November (5 awards). Hardly a third of a season.

Especially when you consider that Arsenal were the best team in the league in that period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

If you think that Ramsey is there on a third of a season you'd be very, very wrong. Consistently good since March.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Strongly biased towards the current season.

Most awards are. The PFA and Writers awards are generally biased towards the second half of the season as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I'd have kos and syczny ahead of jags and HowarD but not much in it really.

I'd play 433 take Gerard out and put rvp in. Otherwise no real obvious ones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

Seems like carrick is in there as a token utd player because they won the league. It would make more sense to have saf as manager. Particularly as he did it with a team that people struggle to pick out anyone for a team of the year.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

De Gea for Howard

&

RVP for Aguero (that hurts but true)

and thats my pick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Rvp for gerrard for me, maybe zaba for Coleman?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Gerrard in there is ridiculous.

Hazard for Gerrard and I'd have Koscielny for Jagielka.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Toure on the left wing and Gerrard on the right wing? Pretty dumb

Advertisement