Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Space and weight saving tips and ideas

Options
  • 02-01-2014 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭

Hi guys.

I hike quite a bit these days and although my wife comes enjoys the day hikes i can't get her into a tent so camping is solo for me. i want to get out this spring for a few days and im trying every trick to save weight cheaply as this trip will be a photography trip. As you can imagine cameras are heavy so any tips or ideas for cutting gear down is welcome and who knows we might build a bit of a knowledge bank too.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

How long are you going for?
    Where are you planning on going?
    How are you planning to get there?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

How long are you going for?
    Where are you planning on going?
    How are you planning to get there?

Yes Mammy!

(sorry :p )

Sauve wrote: »
    Yes Mammy!

(sorry :p )

Cheeky fecker! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭SNAKEDOC

A Garda wouldn't ask me that.
    I'm just generalising so we'll say four days.
    The where isn't really important just that all gear is been backpacked in to my camping spot(top secret)
    So there's your answers now grace us with your unlimited knowledge oh wise one
    Im not a novice quite the opposite I'm just looking for opinions and tried and tested methods I may not have used before I'm not looking for a lecture on basics of hiking camping etiquette

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭dazza161989

hi there,

I know you probably know these basics but:

Pack only essentials
    bring items which have multiple purposes i.e. Hiking pole which splits into sections for tent pegs etc
    Put clothes / blankets in vacumm bags and roll the air out of them.
    Multistrap backpack to spread the weight.

• Advertisement

SNAKEDOC wrote: »
    A Garda wouldn't ask me that.
    I'm just generalising so we'll say four days.
    The where isn't really important just that all gear is been backpacked in to my camping spot(top secret)
    So there's your answers now grace us with your unlimited knowledge oh wise one
    Im not a novice quite the opposite I'm just looking for opinions and tried and tested methods I may not have used before I'm not looking for a lecture on basics of hiking camping etiquette

Look man, tbh an answer of four days is not much to go on. I'm not looking to lecture anyone. If I'm giving an opinion I'd rather do it on knowing specifics instead of spouting stuff that won't be relevant to you.

I suppose I would be uneducated in the world of wild camping but I have spent a lot of time in the woods and a lot of time packing and carrying what I pack.

I don't know what size backpack you have, I don't know what kit you carry, I don't know if you are familiar with being out for 4 days, I don't know if you have medical issues that need to be on top of, I don't know if you are familiar with the terrain you are working in, I don't know if you will be rationing yourself or are you storing kit in the car and using it as a supply cache for the 4 days, I don't know what facilities are near you, I don't know the distance you need to travel.

If you want to go light for 4 days without re supply, I would do this.

- Mission specific kit i.e Camera etc
    - Light tent and sleeping system
    - wet gear, warm gear
    - 1 spare change of trousers, 3 pairs socks, in waterproof bag
    - Small hygiene kit. Travel size if any
    - Spare boot laces
    - OSI Map
    - Fully charged phone in a waterproof bag.
    - 4 main meals and 4 lunches, 6 litres of water, small camping stove.
    - Foldable chair, torch, spare batteries, bin bags.

Now that list probably is no good to you. It is all basic which I am sure you already know. Obviously you will have essential knowledge of the area you are working in, topography, local population centre, who uses the land, weather, trail and evacuation problems. First light and last light.

How is anyone able to give you opinions and tried and tested methods if we don't know your experience and what terrain you are in? We could give you tips on river crossings, emergency shelters, first aid, pre designated re supply areas, climbing etc. none of which might be relevant because if you are camping beside a car park near your house.

Best of luck and I hope you enjoy yourself.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

A small packet of Biodegradeable wipes are very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

My two cents:

1. Tinned food is heavy. MREs are lighter (Meals Ready to Eat). Never actually tried them, myself.

2. Alcohol. Beer is heavy. If you want to bring alcohol, consider bringing a bottle of whiskey instead.

3. Water. It's heavy, weighing 1kg per litre. Don't bring more than you need. I don't use one of those Lifesaver bottles, but I hear that it's a good product. It could save weight, rather than carrying water.

4. Tent. You could cut the weight you carry from 2.5kg or 3kg to maybe 1.5kg, by using a lightweight tent.

5. A down sleeping bag will weigh less than sleeping bags with other filling. Not only that, it packs down much smaller. People who intend camping in the Irish climate should remember that down loses much of its insulation when it becomes wet, and it takes ages to dry, compared to other filling. Some people bring blankets and all sorts while camping. If you have a sleeping bag which is good enough, you should not need to bring extra. (However, a good sleeping mat should still be brought.)

6. The value of a good rucksack should not be overlooked. When you have a good rucksack, you will be able to carry more weight more comfortably. The hip belt will rest a lot of the weight on your hips instead of your shoulders. There should be enough padding to stop straps from cutting into your shoulders. Carrying a lot of weight in a cheap rucksack can be painful, tiring and off-putting.

7. Before you pack, make a list of only what you need, and bring nothing extra.

I couldn't swear that I follow my own advice even half of the time, but there you go anyway.

There are sites on ultralight backpacking:
    http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/ultralight-backpacking.html
    http://ultralightbackpacker.com/
    http://theultralightbackpackingsite.com/

Thanks for your input mustard. Much appreciated.
    I think I'm going to practice a bit of bushcraft while out too. I'm thinking scrape the tent and go for canvas and make a teepee tent and make a raised sleeping platform from branches I'll lay pin branches down and my sleeping mat and bag will go ontop. As for food I'm goin for mre's I always have. Really can't wait to get out on a trip just need these storms to pass us by.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 KarlBray74

The Snugpak TravelPak 1 is one the lightest and packs the smallest that I have used, great for summer and if you are going under the tarp then it comes with a built in mozzy net.....Hipflask is essential also!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

SNAKEDOC wrote: »
    Thanks for your input mustard. Much appreciated.
    I think I'm going to practice a bit of bushcraft while out too. I'm thinking scrape the tent and go for canvas and make a teepee tent and make a raised sleeping platform from branches I'll lay pin branches down and my sleeping mat and bag will go ontop. As for food I'm goin for mre's I always have. Really can't wait to get out on a trip just need these storms to pass us by.

No bother at all.

I'm curious to see how the canvas teepee will turn out. Maybe you could stick up some pics when it's finished. Won't a canvas tent be very heavy?

I'm not goin for the really heavy stuff you'd cover turf wit in the winter but the lighter stuff it doesn't have as much weave in it. I'll stick up some picks to be sure. I picked up my new Lowe alpine 65 litre pack today delighted wit it. It will be spot non for a few long days in the hills. I also have a crazy idea to do the Wicklow way for charity maybe this summer we'll see. Anyone who wants to tag along just for a day let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 KarlBray74

I've done the Wicklow Way a couple of times, organised a charity walk on it last year. Enjoy it. Doing the West Highland Way in April!

Advertisement