Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I am being asked to take on more home-carer duties

• 02-01-2014 10:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭

My own instincts are telling me not to, however I am here seeking advice and future guidance from yourselves in here, the Carers & Caring Forum.

An elderly neighbour knows and trusts me and I'd often be called upon to assist with varying things for him mainly, but now also his wife.
    Up to now, it would just be odd jobs like fix a phone connection in his home with varying settings etc ; assisting with the delivery of timber to other elderly locals.

This evening when I was there typing a letter for him; and installing a new printer for him he asked me to assist with the purchasing of a new ergonomic motorised chair for his wife and also to do some home-delivery (shopping) for his wife also in the near future (and said I would be paid for these jobs also).

He knows and trusts me which is why he is asking me to do this. He normally does the above; but when he is asking me to take-over I know it's getting a tad too much for him.

I am in no way qualified nor insured to take on any home-care job. My instincts are telling me to stop and not take on the chair or shopping duty in the event something were to happen and I would not be qualified nor insured to take sufficient action.

What is your advice in here,
    Thanks,
    kerry4sam

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Frito

I see your issue with "what happens if..?" and I'm assuming the major problem with this is the fact he's offering to pay you for your time, ergo you are a formal carer without the protection usually experienced by formal carers.

My opinion would be that once you accept a caring role (regardless of what the task is) the precedent has been set and you become the go-to person for the next task. There is a real possibility due to ageing and frailty that more and more will be asked of you. It's difficult to extricate yourself, but not impossible.

I think you're right to take note of your instincts. I would not agree to this myself without considering my vulnerability in terms of accusations of financial exploitation, liability re services provided and pressures to assume a greater caring role further on.

Advertisement