Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OPORD "Kickass"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

SCAR 77km adventure race done in 5:57.

That was a tough one.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,624 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Once upon a time, a marathon was the pinnacle.

Stop raising the bar! :)

Once upon a time, a marathon was the pinnacle.

Stop raising the bar! :)

I can't help it :o

I just want to put the bar down at this stage! I'm fcuked and I have another adventure race on Wednesday, then the marathon on Monday. Be grand :)

Then back to the gym!

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭ninamc

What kind of time you hoping for in the marathon, ya big fit mentaller?

I can't help it :o

I just want to put the bar down at this stage! I'm fcuked and I have another adventure race on Wednesday, then the marathon on Monday.

Pretty standard taper for the marathon then...

• Advertisement

ninamc wrote: »
    What kind of time you hoping for in the marathon, ya big fit mentaller?

No idea! Iv done the half in 2 hours. So I'm hoping for 4:30 or so....hoping!
    Pretty standard taper for the marathon then...

Yeah, I only learned about tapering last week :o. Ah, I haven't been doing the mileage for that stuff. The longest iv gone in one go is the half marathon. This race on Wednesday is only 26km...so that's kind of a taper :pac:

No idea! Iv done the half in 2 hours. So I'm hoping for 4:30 or so....hoping!

Yeah, I only learned about tapering last week :o. Ah, I haven't been doing the mileage for that stuff. The longest iv gone in one go is the half marathon. This race on Wednesday is only 26km...so that's kind of a taper :pac:

With your level of fitness I'd have said you'd be a lot closer to 4 than 4.30 if not sub-4.

I once did a 15-mile run training for one but other than that, longest run was 12 miles at most and with your base fitness, once you keep the right pace, I'd put money on sub-4

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Ever deal with overuse injuries in the knees or ankles from running/ cycling?

With your level of fitness I'd have said you'd be a lot closer to 4 than 4.30 if not sub-4.

I once did a 15-mile run training for one but other than that, longest run was 12 miles at most and with your base fitness, once you keep the right pace, I'd put money on sub-4

I don't really know man. I have friends who are aiming for times and are really organised about it all. My plan is to just turn up, start and make it to the end. I'd be delighted with 3:59:59 but il accept 4:59:59 :). I haven't really trained for it and probably have no business doing it,but we will see.

Did you do a marathon? How did you find it?
    Remmy wrote: »
    Ever deal with overuse injuries in the knees or ankles from running/ cycling?

Overuse injuries? Yeah kind of. Well my knees and ankles have been giving me bother for years. Torn meniscus, snapped ligaments etc. The discomfort is always there and the knees swell and lock from time to time. I just get on with it.

My main problem lately are my IT bands. Jesus, they really fup me up! I was in a heap yesterday trying to run. It was more of a zombie shuffle than anything else.

How about you?

I don't really know man. I have friends who are aiming for times and are really organised about it all. My plan is to just turn up, start and make it to the end. I'd be delighted with 3:59:59 but il accept 4:59:59 :). I haven't really trained for it and probably have no business doing it,but we will see.

Did you do a marathon? How did you find it?

Did a few. Started as a post-chub, post-knee ligament injury challenge. Handful of 12 mile runs and no idea what I was at. 4:05

A watch and a pace plan the next year and did 3:43.

Was well off your base fitness back then though. The only thing that would scupper you getting sub-4 is the 26km this week :)

Roll those ITBs. Until you can't take the pain any more. And then do it some more ;)

• Advertisement

Did a few. Started as a post-chub, post-knee ligament injury challenge. Handful of 12 mile runs and no idea what I was at. 4:05

A watch and a pace plan the next year and did 3:43.

Was well off your base fitness back then though. The only thing that would scupper you getting sub-4 is the 26km this week :)

Roll those ITBs. Until you can't take the pain any more. And then do it some more ;)

Jaysis! 4:05 & 3:43 :eek: They are damn good times Alf! Fair fcuks. Did you just feel like stopping at any stage?

I'm considering not doing the 26km.....considering :p

Jaysis! 4:05 & 3:43 :eek: They are damn good times Alf! Fair fcuks. Did you just feel like stopping at any stage?

I'm considering not doing the 26km.....considering :p

The first year they had the course running pretty much the opposite to now and it took us from Chapelizod into the park at about the 20-mile mark. I had stopped to get water at the 16-mile mark and regretted it so coming into the park I just had to drop the pace rather than walk. Trotted around the wall. Finished in Smithfield and EVERYTHING cramped. I hobbled over those cobbles like Charlie Chaplin with a stick up his hole.

The reversal of the course made it easier the next year and that probably helped mentally. But the biggest difference the 2nd time was having a watch and a plan. Reckoned I could hold 8:30 miles for 1st half and allow the pace to slow to 9:30 miles for 2nd half. Felt enough in tank to keep the 8:30 going a bit longer than half way and when it started to take its toll, I just dropped off to keep a steady pace to the end rather than burn up with 3 miles to go and take 35 minutes for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭ninamc

I always have to make things harder for myself and I suffered for it today. Mindset changed, roll on the 70km race next week.

My unsolicited, uneducated opinion would be to give the race on Wednesday a miss. It's the marathon we're talking about :)

The first year they had the course running pretty much the opposite to now and it took us from Chapelizod into the park at about the 20-mile mark. I had stopped to get water at the 16-mile mark and regretted it so coming into the park I just had to drop the pace rather than walk. Trotted around the wall. Finished in Smithfield and EVERYTHING cramped. I hobbled over those cobbles like Charlie Chaplin with a stick up his hole.

The reversal of the course made it easier the next year and that probably helped mentally. But the biggest difference the 2nd time was having a watch and a plan. Reckoned I could hold 8:30 miles for 1st half and allow the pace to slow to 9:30 miles for 2nd half. Felt enough in tank to keep the 8:30 going a bit longer than half way and when it started to take its toll, I just dropped off to keep a steady pace to the end rather than burn up with 3 miles to go and take 35 minutes for them.

Fcuk, it sounds tough! Actually, a friend of mine has offered me her watch for the race. I think il use it alright. No point just running too fast at the start and being bolloxed by mile 10 :). Il trot along and see how I feel, mile to mile.
    ninamc wrote: »
    My unsolicited, uneducated opinion would be to give the race on Wednesday a miss. It's the marathon we're talking about :)

Yeah I completely agree! I think il skip it.

Fcuk, it sounds tough! Actually, a friend of mine has offered me her watch for the race. I think il use it alright. No point just running too fast at the start and being bolloxed by mile 10 :). Il trot along and see how I feel, mile to mile.

Watch is crucial. It is actually too easy to go too fast early on with the adrenaline and whatnot.

You're well capable of sub-4. I'd never even have contemplated the events and distances you've done :)

Just make sure to have a rough idea of a plan for the pace for it all rather than seeing how it goes.

But most of all, enjoy it. It's fantastic to be part of.

Overuse injuries? Yeah kind of. Well my knees and ankles have been giving me bother for years. Torn meniscus, snapped ligaments etc. The discomfort is always there and the knees swell and lock from time to time. I just get on with it.

My main problem lately are my IT bands. Jesus, they really fup me up! I was in a heap yesterday trying to run. It was more of a zombie shuffle than anything else.

How about you?

Ah I have a ways to go before I'm as f'd up as you so:D I completed a half marathon training plan and had intentions of rolling right into a proper marathon plan but my knee had other plans. I'm taking a wee break to focus on strength and foam roll the bejasus out of the muscles. Kinda scary to think how unfit I'm becoming though. :)

Watch is crucial. It is actually too easy to go too fast early on with the adrenaline and whatnot.

You're well capable of sub-4. I'd never even have contemplated the events and distances you've done :)

Just make sure to have a rough idea of a plan for the pace for it all rather than seeing how it goes.

But most of all, enjoy it. It's fantastic to be part of.

Grand so, watch it is! Another friend sent me her pacing plan for a 4hr finish. Il have a good look at that too. Jaysis, running is very "sciencey" isn't it :). Yeah I wouldn't exactly say I'm fit for those distances. I'm 5' 7", I'm 180-185lbs and iv a BMI of 30. I'm not exactly an athlete I'm just a normal stubborn fcuker.

I just pick something that I think I can't do, turn up and fight my way through it. I'm not out to win, just to finish.....or some bollox like that :)
    Ah I have a ways to go before I'm as f'd up as you so:D I completed a half marathon training plan and had intentions of rolling right into a proper marathon plan but my knee had other plans. I'm taking a wee break to focus on strength and foam roll the bejasus out of the muscles. Kinda scary to think how unfit I'm becoming though. :)

Iv no patience for plans. Iv tried and failed miserably. I admire anyone who can stick to them, they aren't easy like. Foam rolling is great, I should do it more. What's the craic with your knee?

Iv no patience for plans. Iv tried and failed miserably. I admire anyone who can stick to them, they aren't easy like. Foam rolling is great, I should do it more. What's the craic with your knee?

Yeah I use a cricket ball for the sides of the hips and up along the it band and find it deadly albeit sore as fcuk. The physio I went to reckoned it was " runners knee" brought on by upping the mileage too quick.

Yeah I use a cricket ball for the sides of the hips and up along the it band and find it deadly albeit sore as fcuk. The physio I went to reckoned it was " runners knee" brought on by upping the mileage too quick.

Yeah that's what I was told too. I have it on my left hip and right knee. It's not as bad on the knee now, I get a rub every now and again. The hip is a cnut though. It dies down the flares up again. I find if it happens on a run, I punch it a few times, tell it to fcuk off and try blank it out for a km or two.

That never works though :)

Yeah I use a cricket ball for the sides of the hips and up along the it band

Really? Howzat?

TAXI! ->

• Advertisement

Really? Howzat?

TAXI! ->

Yeah fcuk that! A foam roller is bad enough, Jesus the pain of a cricket ball would make me black out!

26km "adventure" race done :).........sorry :o

'Twas nice and handy. Took my time with it.

3km run, 2km kayak, 3km run, 16km cycle, 2km obstacle course. Finished in 1:48. Happy enough.

You're a big eejit. But well done anyway :p

bluewolf wrote: »
    You're a big eejit. But well done anyway :p

So's your face! :P

Nice and handy 14km run this morning.

Best of luck tomorrow, yo. Enjoy the day. It's a really enjoyable atmosphere, especially if the weather is okay.

If you want cheering gainz, have your name written on the front of your top :)

Best of luck tomorrow, yo. Enjoy the day. It's a really enjoyable atmosphere, especially if the weather is okay.

If you want cheering gainz, have your name written on the front of your top :)

Cheers man, I appreciate it :)

Should be fun......but il report back tomorrow :)

Last piece of advice: don't go upstairs for a day or two after. Unless you have the use of an escalator or elevator to get back down.

We'll that was easy! :)

ITB went mental at mile 3 but still managed 4:29:28. Happy enough with that.

10km-58:20
    Half-2:02:30
    30km-3:03:29
    Finish-4:29:28

• Advertisement

Well done :)

Would you do it again with a bit more of a targeted effort?

Advertisement