Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OPORD "Kickass"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Do you have a favorite distance to race?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

Remmy wrote: »
    Do you have a favorite distance to race?

I think my favourite for running is the half marathon distance. I do be nicely bolloxed after that. I find that I'm only sort of warming up at the end of a 10km, do still be fcuked though but could race on if needed.

For the adventure races, I was more comfortable with the 70km distance. The 26/54km was a tad short and the 77 was bizarrely taxing. It really depends on the route.

I fcuking love sitting down though...that's my favourite! :)

How's your training going?

I think my favourite for running is the half marathon distance. I do be nicely bolloxed after that. I find that I'm only sort of warming up at the end of a 10km, do still be fcuked though but could race on if needed.

For the adventure races, I was more comfortable with the 70km distance. The 26/54km was a tad short and the 77 was bizarrely taxing. It really depends on the route.

I fcuking love sitting down though...that's my favourite! :)

How's your training going?

As a relatively weak runner it's gas hearing a 70km being described as "comfortable":D. I'm setting pr's in sitting down also. Strength training is going great . Lifts are going up while I'm getting a bit leaner. I like your way of attacking fitness goals i.e just pick ones that look like good craic and give em a bash. I'll pick out a few nice ones starting January , need to get my fitness sorted ;)

As a relatively weak runner it's gas hearing a 70km being described as "comfortable":D. I'm setting pr's in sitting down also. Strength training is going great . Lifts are going up while I'm getting a bit leaner. I like your way of attacking fitness goals i.e just pick ones that look like good craic and give em a bash. I'll pick out a few nice ones starting January , need to get my fitness sorted ;)

Ah jaysis, my posts make it look like I'm mad fit and stuff but I'm really not. I know I said I was comfortable but I just meant it in the sense that it was achievable. I was completely fcuked after it like :).

Yeah iv that 'challenge' mentality. I'm not out to win, just to make it and have fun. There's a few people that think it's daft but each to their own I suppose.

Glad to hear the strength training is doing well and that you are getting leaner. Have you a crazy programme and diet that you are following?

Sure have a look and if you see something you like, we could give it a bash together :). Not women now, a race or something! Creep! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭ninamc

Sure have a look and if you see something you like, we could give it a bash together :). Not women now, a race or something! Creep! :)

Wouldn't know whether to pity or be jealous of the women what with all that stamina and all :)

• Advertisement

ninamc wrote: »
    Wouldn't know whether to pity or be jealous of the women what with all that stamina and all :)

Definitely pity, the bleedin' state of me :)

Ah jaysis, my posts make it look like I'm mad fit and stuff but I'm really not. I know I said I was comfortable but I just meant it in the sense that it was achievable. I was completely fcuked after it like :).

Yeah iv that 'challenge' mentality. I'm not out to win, just to make it and have fun. There's a few people that think it's daft but each to their own I suppose.

Glad to hear the strength training is doing well and that you are getting leaner. Have you a crazy programme and diet that you are following?

Ah right gotcha, I think I would calf If I tried to run a 50km in the morning.:D It's a good mindset to have. It probably allows you to achieve a lot of fitness goals without putting too much pressure on yourself.

No crazy program or diet. Diet wise I have found that for me a lower carb, higher fat and protein intake is getting me leaner while getting stronger so I'll stick with that. Strength wise my favourite exercises are weighted pullups,weighted dips, nordic leg curls and Bulgarian split squats.
    I have a very add like set of fitness things I'd like to have a crack at in the new year; sprint tri, half marathon and crossfit competition. That's a kind offer and thank's for clarifying it wasn't women related :D. I'll keep an eye out and keep you posted.

Clontarf Half complete.

Ugh, watch time is 1:44:24. Aaaaaaand the hangover is gone! \0/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,624 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Sweet time! Kudos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Decent blog man....good effort all round!

• Advertisement

Ah right gotcha, I think I would calf If I tried to run a 50km in the morning.:D It's a good mindset to have. It probably allows you to achieve a lot of fitness goals without putting too much pressure on yourself..

Yeah it actually does. No pressure, no expectations, then I'm happy! :) I can't do 50km either :/
    No crazy program or diet. Diet wise I have found that for me a lower carb, higher fat and protein intake is getting me leaner while getting stronger so I'll stick with that. Strength wise my favourite exercises are weighted pullups,weighted dips, nordic leg curls and Bulgarian split squats.
    I have a very add like set of fitness things I'd like to have a crack at in the new year; sprint tri, half marathon and crossfit competition. That's a kind offer and thank's for clarifying it wasn't women related :D. I'll keep an eye out and keep you posted.

Diet thing sounds interesting, I might give it a shot. My nutrition is appalling of late...but it is Christmas, or something! Weighted pull ups and dips? Have you a weight west on while doing that? Jaysis I can't do 1 pull up at the moment.

Defo try and do those events. Where are you planning the Sprint Tri? Man, once you do a half marathon, all you want to do is marathons! It's addictive :).
    Sweet time! Kudos.

Cheers man, I'm under pressure now for Saturday...kinda want you to adopt me! :)
    discus wrote: »
    Decent blog man....good effort all round!

Cheers Discus, you just liked the OPORD bit! :) How ya getting on yerself?

I joined in with the December streak run log thing. Just got 8.1km in yesterday and today, so 16.2km so far for the week.

Cheers man, I'm under pressure now for Saturday...kinda want you to adopt me :)

The new name is throwing me.

The adoption offer only lasts of I don't need to feed you or entertain you.

Great time though. Next marathon will be a really good time if you give yourself a chance.

The new name is throwing me.

The adoption offer only lasts of I don't need to feed you or entertain you.

Great time though. Next marathon will be a really good time if you give yourself a chance.

Ah bollox to that then! I thought you were going to feed me like! :(

Ha, if I give myself a chance? Il try and train properly for whatever the first one is that I'm doing in 2015.

How was your burger?

The first marathon you're due to do is the Connemarathon. To be honest, I'd be looking at the Limerick Marathon in May for a PB rather than Connemara.

Limerick is a relatively flat course whereas Connemara has a couple of fairly testing climbs - one at about the 13-15 mile mark and one at the 24 mile mark. The latter being a climb of about 80 or 980 metres in the spcae of 1.5-2 miles. Unpleasant.

But the views are beautiful.

Yeah it actually does. No pressure, no expectations, then I'm happy! :) I can't do 50km either :/

Diet thing sounds interesting, I might give it a shot. My nutrition is appalling of late...but it is Christmas, or something! Weighted pull ups and dips? Have you a weight west on while doing that? Jaysis I can't do 1 pull up at the moment.

Defo try and do those events. Where are you planning the Sprint Tri? Man, once you do a half marathon, all you want to do is marathons! It's addictive :).

I joined in with the December streak run log thing. Just got 8.1km in yesterday and today, so 16.2km so far for the week.

No I'm too lazy to get a weight vest:pac: I've been using a length of chain and a carabiner. It does the job. You injured re cannot do pullups? I found starting off with negatives then "greasing the groove" really shot mine up.

Yeah I have a feeling that I'd like to do a full marathon after I complete a half :). I have done up to 15 miles in training but past that I may need to follow a program again which I wouldn't be too keen on. Re sprint tri , I'm not too sure. A cool one to do would be Dingle tri but I'm not a great swimmer.

Did you ever do a mud run? They look like good craic.

The first marathon you're due to do is the Connemarathon. To be honest, I'd be looking at the Limerick Marathon in May for a PB rather than Connemara.

Limerick is a relatively flat course whereas Connemara has a couple of fairly testing climbs - one at about the 13-15 mile mark and one at the 24 mile mark. The latter being a climb of about 80 or 980 metres in the spcae of 1.5-2 miles. Unpleasant.

But the views are beautiful.

Fcuk, is Connemara the first one? Limerick for a PB it is so! :). I heard the last hill m Connemara just makes you want to stop and cry! It will be interesting to say the least. How did you fair out on it?
    No I'm too lazy to get a weight vest:pac: I've been using a length of chain and a carabiner. It does the job. You injured re cannot do pullups? I found starting off with negatives then "greasing the groove" really shot mine up.

Yeah I have a feeling that I'd like to do a full marathon after I complete a half :). I have done up to 15 miles in training but past that I may need to follow a program again which I wouldn't be too keen on. Re sprint tri , I'm not too sure. A cool one to do would be Dingle tri but I'm not a great swimmer.

Did you ever do a mud run? They look like good craic.

No, just out of practice. There was a time when I could just do them, now I just can't :) il try negatives for a few weeks then normal ones. It would be a while before I could add weight. Carabiner and chains sounds good...old school!

Just do the marathon without a programme...worked for me, kinda :) Dingle Tri? Must check it out. Can't swim yet though. Eh no, never did any mud runs at all. They don't appeal to me at all. Just reminds me of work, they do look fun though!

Have you done any?

Fcuk, is Connemara the first one? Limerick for a PB it is so! :). I heard the last hill m Connemara just makes you want to stop and cry! It will be interesting to say the least. How did you fair out on it?

Never did it. Had signed up 2 years ago bug had to pull out late on. Was injured last year. One day...

But I'd studied the course cos I knew it was supposed to be a killer.

Here's what the course profile for Connemara looks like:

profile_3.jpg

Ah jaysis..... Maybe il skip that one! :) cheers for digging that out.

Would you try it next year?

Played astro yesterday, regretting it today. Iv a few silly niggles now :(
    One of the lads got a lovely fractured femur out of the game :/

Ran 24km so far this week, might skip today.

Ah jaysis..... Maybe il skip that one! :) cheers for digging that out.

Would you try it next year?

Played astro yesterday, regretting it today. Iv a few silly niggles now :(
    One of the lads got a lovely fractured femur out of the game :/

Ran 24km so far this week, might skip today.

Don't skip it! Just don't expect to do your best time there. You have a month between that and Limerick anyway and it's worth doing for the views.

I'm not sure I'd do the full one at this stage. I'd def consider the half one and take it from there.

• Advertisement

No, just out of practice. There was a time when I could just do them, now I just can't :) il try negatives for a few weeks then normal ones. It would be a while before I could add weight. Carabiner and chains sounds good...old school!

Just do the marathon without a programme...worked for me, kinda :) Dingle Tri? Must check it out. Can't swim yet though. Eh no, never did any mud runs at all. They don't appeal to me at all. Just reminds me of work, they do look fun though!

Have you done any?

Ah right,I have found If you have done stuff like dips and pullups before you aren't long building back up the ability to them well.
    I can swim in theory but I'm not sure if I could swim the 750m for the sprint tri. I'd love to give one a bash. I might just head to the pool someday and see how many lengths I can do. I'd imagine you'd want to be doing a fair bit over the distance in the pool for it to translate in open water.

Ha I'd imagine not. I'd say if you knew you did stuff before far harder and got paid to do it a mud run would lose a lot of it's appeal. Haven't done one myself ,was half thinking of one.

I had 3 goals: 1) Get a sub 4. 2) Don't eat or drink on the route. 3) Have fun.

Started the day off concerned. A few niggles were giving me more hassle than I thought they would. Had breakfast with 2 guys from the north, a dub and a langer.

One of the guys from the north was a melter. Would.not.stop.giving.us.advice. Apparently a full irish and a can of Monster is not the right breakfast to be having before a marathon. He's right but ram it . Then he asked where I keep my gels while running, I said "at home" and the other lads started to laugh at him.

Took 2 Difene, 2 painkillers and 2 caffeine tablets, Vaselined up, taped the nipples and formed up at the start line. They played Can't Stop by RHCP as we were released, that was deadly. Started strong and was planning to run 5:50 per km, that went to **** straight away. I was in the 4:50 per km for the first few so slowed it right back. Plenty of hills, some short but steep as fcuk. I ran up them on my tippy toes and regretted it later on.

It was a looped course, out and back 3.5 times. It meant hitting the same hills each time and was a bit demoralising. Tablets seemed to work and I was feeling good at the 10km all the way to the 30km mark. The hills took its toll and I could feel the calves giving out.

Went to complete **** at the 35km mark, in the space of 200mtrs, both calves and my hamstring cramped up. All I could do was shuffle and stop all the way past the 35km point. My left one looked weird and wouldn't release, I had to punch it a few times to sort it out.

The last 8km were agony, both calves, both hip flexors, left ITB and right hamstring just didn't want to play ball at all. I didn't think I could finish. Ploughed on, slowly and crossed the finish line in 4:08:37. It took me 48 minutes to do the final 8km. Average pace was 5:51 per km.

It's a PB but I'm disappointed. I was doing well up until the legs went to ****. I am sure I could have got in a few seconds under the 4hr time if I didn't cramp. 2 goals out of 3 ain't bad, good medal, great craic, nice and hilly, great day.

Roll on 10km Santa Dash tomorrow.

That's 2 halfs and a full marathon in 3 weeks. A total of over 81km this week so I'm happy enough.

Don't skip it! Just don't expect to do your best time there. You have a month between that and Limerick anyway and it's worth doing for the views.

I'm not sure I'd do the full one at this stage. I'd def consider the half one and take it from there.

Good point, il just go out and enjoy it. To be able to say I did Connemarathon :).

Good man, I like halfs, they are the perfect distance.

Ah right,I have found If you have done stuff like dips and pullups before you aren't long building back up the ability to them well.
    I can swim in theory but I'm not sure if I could swim the 750m for the sprint tri. I'd love to give one a bash. I might just head to the pool someday and see how many lengths I can do. I'd imagine you'd want to be doing a fair bit over the distance in the pool for it to translate in open water.

Ha I'd imagine not. I'd say if you knew you did stuff before far harder and got paid to do it a mud run would lose a lot of it's appeal. Haven't done one myself ,was half thinking of one.

Well yeah that's true alright, muscle memory and all that. I have a shoulder impingement that gives me hassle one I start lifting in the gym.

Ah it's 750mtrs swim for the sprint tri. I'm learning to swim in Feb, hope iv enough time to get the confidence. Is if in the sea or a lake do you know?

Yeah that's a good idea, just hop into the pool and see how you get on.

Hell and back and runamuck are meant to be good craic!

I had 3 goals: 1) Get a sub 4. 2) Don't eat or drink on the route. 3) Have fun.

Started the day off concerned. A few niggles were giving me more hassle than I thought they would. Had breakfast with 2 guys from the north, a dub and a langer.

One of the guys from the north was a melter. Would.not.stop.giving.us.advice. Apparently a full irish and a can of Monster is not the right breakfast to be having before a marathon. He's right but ram it . Then he asked where I keep my gels while running, I said "at home" and the other lads started to laugh at him.

Took 2 Difene, 2 painkillers and 2 caffeine tablets, Vaselined up, taped the nipples and formed up at the start line. They played Can't Stop by RHCP as we were released, that was deadly. Started strong and was planning to run 5:50 per km, that went to **** straight away. I was in the 4:50 per km for the first few so slowed it right back. Plenty of hills, some short but steep as fcuk. I ran up them on my tippy toes and regretted it later on.

It was a looped course, out and back 3.5 times. It meant hitting the same hills each time and was a bit demoralising. Tablets seemed to work and I was feeling good at the 10km all the way to the 30km mark. The hills took its toll and I could feel the calves giving out.

Went to complete **** at the 35km mark, in the space of 200mtrs, both calves and my hamstring cramped up. All I could do was shuffle and stop all the way past the 35km point. My left one looked weird and wouldn't release, I had to punch it a few times to sort it out.

The last 8km were agony, both calves, both hip flexors, left ITB and right hamstring just didn't want to play ball at all. I didn't think I could finish. Ploughed on, slowly and crossed the finish line in 4:08:37. It took me 48 minutes to do the final 8km. Average pace was 5:51 per km.

It's a PB but I'm disappointed. I was doing well up until the legs went to ****. I am sure I could have got in a few seconds under the 4hr time if I didn't cramp. 2 goals out of 3 ain't bad, good medal, great craic, nice and hilly, great day.

Roll on 10km Santa Dash tomorrow.

That's 2 halfs and a full marathon in 3 weeks. A total of over 81km this week so I'm happy enough.

The cramping, I found, was a function of what I ate and drank (or didn't) in the days beforehand. First marathon I ran the last km like Charlie Chaplin cos everything cramped. Everything. I has more training miles in me for that than I had for the other couple.

Nice improvement. Enjoy Connemara and by all means go for a PR but Limerick is a far more likely PR.

But I will say this: set out your timing plan and stick to it. Don't use up any extra fuel in the tank until the end.

Well yeah that's true alright, muscle memory and all that. I have a shoulder impingement that gives me hassle one I start lifting in the gym.

Ah it's 750mtrs swim for the sprint tri. I'm learning to swim in Feb, hope iv enough time to get the confidence. Is if in the sea or a lake do you know?

Yeah that's a good idea, just hop into the pool and see how you get on.

Hell and back and runamuck are meant to be good craic!

Yeah, a sprint tri would be a nice distance to chance. Ha I'm learning to Swim in January, race ya. I heard those two mud runs are good craic. The only thing I'd be thinking of is are they worth the price of entry when you could do a tri or adventure race for the same price.

The cramping, I found, was a function of what I ate and drank (or didn't) in the days beforehand. First marathon I ran the last km like Charlie Chaplin cos everything cramped. Everything. I has more training miles in me for that than I had for the other couple.

Nice improvement. Enjoy Connemara and by all means go for a PR but Limerick is a far more likely PR.

But I will say this: set out your timing plan and stick to it. Don't use up any extra fuel in the tank until the end.

Jaysis, I better do some Gagoogling! It pissed me off to cramp so close to the end. It totally fuppep me up. **** is getting real so I better start taking this stuff at least semi seriously.

I got a place on The Race for next year and then had to turn it down because of work stuff :(. That was a kick in the cock. Hoping to still get a place on Coast to Coast...once they advertise it.

Il do Connemarathon purely because, fcuking why not. Iv no illusions of a PB though. Just doing it because it's hard. Any tips? :)

Yeah, a sprint tri would be a nice distance to chance. Ha I'm learning to Swim in January, race ya. I heard those two mud runs are good craic. The only thing I'd be thinking of is are they worth the price of entry when you could do a tri or adventure race for the same price.

Ha, there's a basic swimming course on in work in Feb. In hoping for a place on that. Then there's a triathlon in Dun Laoghaire in the summer. Not sure what date but it like to aim for that. Fcuking state of me! :)

Best of luck with the swimming, it just opens up a whole new training world! I hear ya about the cost of the mud runs and obstacle course things. Much better value in an AR or Tri!

How ya getting on now?

Jaysis, I better do some Gagoogling! It pissed me off to cramp so close to the end. It totally fuppep me up. **** is getting real so I better start taking this stuff at least semi seriously.

I got a place on The Race for next year and then had to turn it down because of work stuff :(. That was a kick in the cock. Hoping to still get a place on Coast to Coast...once they advertise it.

Il do Connemarathon purely because, fcuking why not. Iv no illusions of a PB though. Just doing it because it's hard. Any tips? :)

I'd practice planning a time. Look at the profile, factor it into your pace and stick to your pace on race day. Especially for the first half and keep plenty in the tank for the last climb and use the last 2 miles to use up what's left in the tank.

Just practicing your timing will help for Limerick.

It won't really be congested so enjoy the views.

• Advertisement

Finally got back to the gym. Taking it handy though.

I'm unashamedly following Chris Gethins new 12 week thing....nutrition too :/. Il see how I get on for the 12 weeks then concentrate on other things.

Leg press 4 x 12 @ 180kg
    Split squats 4 x 12 with 20kg plate
    BB Squats 4 x 12 @ 50kg
    Stiff leg DL 4 x 12 - 2@50 and 2@60kg
    Lying leg curls 4 x 12 @ 25, 39, 51, 51kg
    Seated calf raise 4 x 12 @ can't remember
    Stand calf raise 4 x 12 @ body weight
    Bent knee hip raise 4 x 12
    Crunches 4 x 12
    Didn't bother with cardio, Achilles is a bit sore.

Well, I'm delighted to be back. Protein time :) nomnomnomnom

Advertisement