Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OPORD "Kickass"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Carry On Truffling?! Ya bastard :)

Did a very slow 10km yesterday in 1:12:35

I'm not looking forward to the next two days. Iv never not looked forward to races before. This is ****.

What races do you have?

Is it the knee that has you not looking forward to it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

What races do you have?

Is it the knee that has you not looking forward to it?

Iv the Blackstairs Adventure Race (65km) and the Belfast Marathon.

Ah I think the knee is a big part of it. The other part is me thinking I'm a machine that can keep going even though I haven't had a service and my parts are fcuked. :)

I have a few things on in June/July that I think I will knock on the head. Il rest for those two months and sort myself out.

Just did a **** load of foam rolling, happy out :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Just did a **** load of foam rolling, happy out :)

Up at 05:15 on Sunday for the Blackstairs adventure race.

Lovely course, plenty of damn hills. Knee was uncomfortable and only caused me pain running downhill or cycling uphill. New bike was great! The different gear set really made a difference.

The organisers and volunteers were brilliant. So encouraging, friendly and full of craic. I felt like I was being minded a the time. Was totally different feeling than the other races.

I was shocked at how few people were there, maybe 150. It was a busy weekend for races I suppose. Plan was to take it easy......and I did but not by choice :) Ended up coming paddy last out of 57 with 3 DNF's.

Straight home, showered and off to Belfast. Stayed in a hotel right opposite Sandy Row, was grand. Took a walk around with the Mrs then bedded down at midnight.

Up for a fry at 0700, was brutal :). Race started nice and slow. I decided to start behind the 4:30 pacers. A few people dropped out for a stretch after 1km, one guy took a bad fall too, gels and bottles everywhere. Poor fcuker.

A guy in a wheelchair in a 100 marathon club tshirt rolled on past me. I was focussing on being comfortable. Got to the 8km mark in 47 mins while about 12 De Loreans cruised by! I was like, "take me 4 hrs into the future fcukers!"

Passed out the 4:30 pacers nice and comfortably. Plenty of hills, couple of murals. Was nice to run down the Falls Road and the Shankill Road. Plenty of support around, it was relentless.

Exactly at the halfway point the 4:30 pacers overtook me. A few km later there was a downhill which put me under pressure. Water was in plastic cups which was inconvenient but were well spaced out.

Got chatting to a few people that I recognised from other events. It was a good day, but hot, tough course, plenty of people, would do again.

The wheelchair guy passed me out at the 40km mark. He was an animal! Dragged myself across the line in 5:03:xx. Not great. In bed by 18:30 yesterday.

What did I get? Sunburn, 2 raw nipples, friction burn on my ass cheeks, blister between my toes, 11 hours of exercise and a big smile.

On the way to work now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

You are some machine truffle! :):)

• Advertisement

Considering the injuries, the Blackstairs race on Saturday and the travel, you should be proud of that time.

Maith an fear.

Cheers fcukers. Yesterday was a looooong day.

I'm off today so I aint doin' nothin'!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

:eek: :eek: :eek: you did it and you survived to tell the tail. Fair play to you, great times too. How're the injuries?

I'm in awe :)

Hey Neady!

I'm just happy I finished tbh, times were crap :).

Injuries are ok, not serious, just holding me back. I won't be near 100% for 2 weeks time!

How's your training going? You all set?

The more I'm reading about ARing and the longer training sessions we're doing, the more I'm understanding that it's not about times, it's about finishing and you put in a savage weekend of training, it was serious endurance so take a pat on the back for that :) .... and every time we go out as a team I'm learning more about the gear and the food to eat so I figure it takes lots of practice to get everything close to right.

I've a nice bit of training done so I'm happy with where I'm at though I've nowhere near enough done on the kayak but we're in doubles so that will make it a lot easier for me. I'm looking forward to the run at the start and the run/hike at the end so it's only the bit in the middle that's worrying me :)

How did you get on with nutrition at the weekend?

• Advertisement

Neady83 wrote: »
    The more I'm reading about ARing and the longer training sessions we're doing, the more I'm understanding that it's not about times, it's about finishing and you put in a savage weekend of training, it was serious endurance so take a pat on the back for that :) .... and every time we go out as a team I'm learning more about the gear and the food to eat so I figure it takes lots of practice to get everything close to right.

I've a nice bit of training done so I'm happy with where I'm at though I've nowhere near enough done on the kayak but we're in doubles so that will make it a lot easier for me. I'm looking forward to the run at the start and the run/hike at the end so it's only the bit in the middle that's worrying me :)

How did you get on with nutrition at the weekend?

Ha, cheers! :)Yeah I'm definitely more geared to endurance than speed. I can pretty much keep going until I break, my body just doesn't do fast anymore.

It's great that you are training with a team. I'd say it's much more benefical. I'm pretty much just fcuking around with a few lads from work. The most we will do is 8km trot together at lunch.

I'm looking forward to the running parts too, especially since there's no chance of me drowning!

Il struggle with the kayak too. Iv a feeling il be pulled out when it gets dark. I did 3km in 45 mins last week. I have had a load of lessons in the last few months but I haven't nailed the paddling technique yet.....any chance I can get a tow from you guys?! :)

Eh my nutrition was perfect. I had 2 pints on Saturday night. Sunday morning I had a big bowl of cold porridge from the boot of the car and a burger after the race :). On the way Belfast I had a Burger King and a big fry the morning of the marathon, oops!

How's your nutrition? :)

Ha, cheers! :)Yeah I'm definitely more geared to endurance than speed. I can pretty much keep going until I break, my body just doesn't do fast anymore.

It's great that you are training with a team. I'd say it's much more benefical. I'm pretty much just fcuking around with a few lads from work. The most we will do is 8km trot together at lunch.

I'm looking forward to the running parts too, especially since there's no chance of me drowning!

Il struggle with the kayak too. Iv a feeling il be pulled out when it gets dark. I did 3km in 45 mins last week. I have had a load of lessons in the last few months but I haven't nailed the paddling technique yet.....any chance I can get a tow from you guys?! :)

Eh my nutrition was perfect. I had 2 pints on Saturday night. Sunday morning I had a big bowl of cold porridge from the boot of the car and a burger after the race :). On the way Belfast I had a Burger King and a big fry the morning of the marathon, oops!

How's your nutrition? :)

Yea, it's great having the guys to train with, they're more experienced at this than I so it helps to get their advice and they give encouragement and/or a bolliking where it's needed :) They get more done together than I do because they live closer but I get out as much as I can with them.

Ha ha likewise with falling out of the kayak. I hate the thought of it but it's inevitable I guess, especially if we've to keep getting out and in when we're dealing with the lock gates :( No worries about the tow - you can latch onto the boat I'm not in :D I could promise you a tow of our boat but I'm not very reliable. When we were training one day, I was out in front of the double waiting for one of the guys to get in. Start paddling out into the middle of the lake, hear the guys busting their asses laughing, the other ARSE hadn't gotten in yet :D:D

As for nutrition, in Dublin for work, went to bear with friends last night and ate half a kilo of beef. That about sums it up :) Still though, I'm a country girl at heart, never had a burger king of McDonalds, they don't have them out in the sticks in Whest Clare so never got a liking for them :)

Best of luck this weekend :):) If you see me say hello, I'll be the one falling out of the kayak and screeching even when I'm only in two foot of water :D

I'll be with the three lads and the support van is black with ARSE logos all over it, can't miss it :)

Oh jaysis, sorry Neady! I haven't popped in here in a few days! :)

Best of luck to you too! Il keep an eye out for your ARSE :)

You will be starting before me, if I see you on the course.....something will defo be wrong!

Nerves are kicking in!

Ugh

Nerves are kicking in!

Ugh

Pack spare jocks.

Pack spare jocks.

Ha! Adult nappys FTW!

They work for padding on the bike and also as a flotation device! :)

Ha! Adult nappys FTW!

They work for padding on the bike and also as a flotation device! :)

:D

G'luck today

Last week was a disaster. The 5km beach run went well, 27 minutes facing a nice strong breeze from the Atlantic.

108km cycle was good too, took 4hrs 15 minutes. It was quicker than I expected.

After 4km into the kayak stage, I was pulled out over safety concerns. I had the wrong type of kayak so I couldn't control the kayak too well, the tow handles were snapped off so I couldn't be towed if I got into hassle and the spray deck had a hole in it. That meant I'd probably sink when I got to the lake.....aaaaand I can't swim.

To say I was gutted is an understatement. It was an automatic "race over" scenario. Nobody's fault but my own, I brought a whitewater kayak when I needed a tourer or sea kayak.

I was told I could continue uncompetitively. My support crew drove me to the end of the kayak stage. I was majorly feeling sorry for myself but decided to carry on.

Hopped on the bike for the 140km cycle. 5 hours later my "good" knee was giving me hassle. Id gotten about 110km into the cycle and just stopped. I had another 30km of cycling and 35km of a mountain run to go. I wasn't willing to fcuk myself up for nothing. So I ended the race completely.

Il be back next year with a sea kayak and I'm going to crease myself.

Stripping my running right back to basics. Woke up early this mornin and went for a slow 5km. I didn't time it, I just ran.

Back to the gym tomorrow. No idea what I'm doing but il go anyway. Get the cobwebs off.

50 minutes trot with a friend. Twas a lovely evening for it. Got stung by nettles though.

Sat on the couch now with an apple and ice on my knee. Bastard is slightly swollen again.

FML :)

• Advertisement

ya messer

Right,

Iv pretty much taken 3 weeks off. I'm irrationally grumpy, I'm eating like fcuk and putting on weight.

I have physio during the week to sort my knee out but I can't just sit back and do nothing until it gets sorted.

Sure if I was to wait until all my bits and bobs were sorted, I'd never train again. I have 9.5 weeks until the 4 marathons in 4 days. All other events between now and then are knocked on the head.

It's going to be gym work, small bit of cycling, backpack stuff and gentle runs until then. Took some "before" photos to disgust myself and went to the gym.

3x10 of:
    Wide grip push ups
    Wide grip incline push ups
    Med grip incline push ups
    Reverse grip incline push ups
    Close grip incline push ups

3x8 of barbell body weight flyes.

3 rotations of clock push-ups (about 8)

DB flat bench:
    8x10 @ 15kg

DB flyes:
    8x10 @ 10kg

More of the same in the morning.

Was the name change part of the motivation?

Was the name change part of the motivation?

Ha no. No more changing, Truffle Pig was a lazy bastard!

Señor Fancy Pants always got the job done.

Considering what you've done under that name, we've vastly different definitions of lazy!

Iv pretty much taken 3 weeks off. I'm irrationally grumpy, I'm eating like fcuk and putting on weight.

Ditto since C2C. This weeks spells my first proper week back to decent training and a clean diet.

I'll be looking to your blog for motivation :)

p.s. 4 marathons in 4 days WTF?? You're mad as a bag of cats

In the gym for 0700.

5 minutes walk on the treadmill for a light warm up.

3x10 wide press ups on a mat.

Using the bar on a smith machine: (superset)
    3x10 wide grip incline press ups
    3x10 medium grip incline press ups
    3x10 reverse grip incline press ups
    3x10 narrow grip incline press ups

Bodyweight flyes: (using ez curl bar)
    3x10

Clock push ups:
    3x10

DB flat bench: (dropset x 3)
    1x10 @ 15kg
    1x3 @ 15kg
    1x5 @ 12.5kg
    1x7 @ 10kg
    1x9 @ 7.5kg

DB Flyes: (dropset x 3)
    1x10 @ 15kg
    1x10 @ 12.5kg
    1x8 @ 10kg
    1x6 @ 7.5kg

Ran out of time and headed to work for a nice bowl of cold porridge with goji berries :)

4km casual walk at lunch.

Back to the gym in the way home. Arms were a bit weak, shoulders back to their awkward selves!

Single arm cable crossover:
    1x10 @ 1 plate (no idea of weight)
    2x8 @ 2 plates
    1x6 @ 3 plates

Cable crossovers:
    3x15 @ 3 plates

Cable iron cross:
    3x10 @ 2 plates

Decline smith machine press: (Arms were floppy at this stage)
    3x7 @ 20kg + bar....22kg? Struggled tbh.

Incline reverse grip press up (smith machine)
    2x6

Straight arm DB pullover:
    3x6 @ 12.5kg

Close grip DB press:
    3x5 @ 10kg

Got home, filled up my back with just over 35lbs and went out for about 6.5km slow trot / walk.

Chest is shattered, shoulders are tight, belly is happy.

End Ex!

Considering what you've done under that name, we've vastly different definitions of lazy!

Stupid though! Ya don't win friends with salad and ya sure don't enjoy events when constantly injured :).

Neady83 wrote: »
    Ditto since C2C. This weeks spells my first proper week back to decent training and a clean diet.

I'll be looking to your blog for motivation :)

p.s. 4 marathons in 4 days WTF?? You're mad as a bag of cats

Eh, you are the mad one! You finished C2C! Aaaand you are doing The Beast! You are madder than a badger with a toothbrush!

Did you cycle halfway around Ireland last week? How's the body?

Il be looking at your log for motivation, never mind mine!

• Advertisement

Eh, you are the mad one! You finished C2C! Aaaand you are doing The Beast! You are madder than a badger with a toothbrush!

Did you cycle halfway around Ireland last week? How's the body?

Il be looking at your log for motivation, never mind mine!

I've never ran further than 16 miles, I'm in awe of anyone that runs marathons, amazing stuff to keep going for that distance.

We ONLY covered three counties last weekend :D so the lads kept telling me, doesn't knock a start out of them but I feel the distance.

Touch wood, no injuries so far but I'm putting it down to the circuit classes I do, it really strengthens every part of the body so there's, hopefully, not too many weak points. Of course that doesn't stop me hurting stuff when I fall off the bike like a fool :rolleyes:

Kicking into 3 weeks of solid training now. How do you train for 4 marathons in 4 days?

Advertisement