Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OPORD "Kickass"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

4km walk at lunch

Leg day in the gym.

Leg Press:
    2 warm up sets 10x40kg
    1x10 @ 80kg
    3x10 @ 150kg
    2x10 @ 220kg

Leg extensions:
    5x12 @ 15kg (decided not to go heavier)

Seated leg curls:
    4x10 @ 35kg

Back squat:
    2x8 with bar
    1x8 @ 70kg
    1x6 @ 100kg
    1x4 @ 120kg
    1x1 @ 130kg (Left it at that, but twingy afterwards)

Got home and back out again with 50lb pack for 6km.

Fierce warm out today!

Neady83 wrote: »
    I've never ran further than 16 miles, I'm in awe of anyone that runs marathons, amazing stuff to keep going for that distance.

We ONLY covered three counties last weekend :D so the lads kept telling me, doesn't knock a start out of them but I feel the distance.

Touch wood, no injuries so far but I'm putting it down to the circuit classes I do, it really strengthens every part of the body so there's, hopefully, not too many weak points. Of course that doesn't stop me hurting stuff when I fall off the bike like a fool :rolleyes:

Kicking into 3 weeks of solid training now. How do you train for 4 marathons in 4 days?

16 miles? Sure you aren't far off marathon distance. Not a bother to ya! I don't have speed on my side, all I have is moderate endurance but I suppose it's enough. Gets very boring doing slow marathons though :)

How far did you go on the bike? You must have hit 200km?

Glad to hear the body is holding up, it's getting a fair beating at the minute. Yeah circuits are great! Everywhere gets a workout, you must have a solid core.

There's a lad in work with me that wants to do The Beast with me next year, il wait until I read your report to commit! :). There are 2 teams from work in it this year I think. It looks brilliant! Fair play to you.

Hhmmmm, what type of training for 4 in 4 days? Good question....nothing so far! :)

Weight last week was 195.8lbs. This morning it was 189.4lbs. Lot of water lost Id say.

Out the gap at 0600 for a 10km with 35lb pack on. Happy enough with 68 minutes.

4km walk at lunch.

Gym after work.

Flat DB Press:
    3x10 @ 15kg
    2x8 @ 17.5kg
    1x6 @ 20kg

Incline DB Flyes:
    2x10 @ 10kg
    1x10 @ 12.5kg

Straight Arm DB Pullover:
    3x10 @ 15kg

Tricep pull downs:
    1x10 with 1 plate
    2x10 with 3 plates
    1x10 with 5 plates

Cable Lying tricep extensions:
    1x10 with 1 plate
    2x10 with 3 plates
    1x10 with 5 plates

Seated tricep extensions:
    3x10 @ 12.5kg

Out again at 0600. Just did 8km with a 40lb pack. Took it handy, 50mins.

Gym after work - (back/biceps)

Shoulders were sore so I didn't push my luck, just kept everything light....that's my excuse :). Pushed for time so I had to fly through it. No core work this week.

Underhand cable pull downs:
    1x10 @ 18kg
    3x10 @ 41kg

Bent over barbell rows:
    4x10 @ 40kg

Back extensions:
    3x10

Straight arm pull downs:
    1x10 @ 30kg
    2x10 @ 40kg
    1x10 @ 50kg

Concentration curls:
    3x10 @ 7.5kg
    2x10 @ 10kg

One arm cable curls:
    3x10 @ 10kg

Might rest tomorrow.

• Advertisement

6.5km with 35lb pack. Had a go of the monkey bars in the kids playground......aaaaaaaaand maybe just one go of the slide.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Running is tough enough without a backpack, that's tough going. What do you put in the backpack yo weight it down and do you distribute the weight evenly through the pack?

Running is tough enough without a backpack, that's tough going. What do you put in the backpack yo weight it down and do you distribute the weight evenly through the pack?

Ah it's not too bad, I don't be creasing myself, I just tip along.

I say "pack" but it's 2 things. First is an assault vest (like a waistcoat with loads of pockets) that zips at the front. Then a day sack, which is a small backpack.

Both the pack and vest are full of work stuff (if I'm using 35-40lbs). If I'm doing 50lbs I will take some stuff out of the pack and out a 20kg plate in, instead of using the bergin.

I use old take away containers filled with sand and taped up, which simulate the characteristics of ammunition.

I won't post a pic of my own but it's similar to the attachment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭holdfast

As fellow member of the green cloth it pains me to read your log. I too have a doggy knee and with the need to have a knee that is pain free, functional now and the future to guarantee my job. I think you need to regress your training until it stops becoming a problem for your knee. you are loading dysfunction

can i advise maybe from my experience and this can be summed up in the following
    glute training- hip hinges etc. wake up the glutes
    single leg training - remove imbalances and address weakness
    mobility glutes/hips- tight hips/glutes push pressure down stream on the knee to move into more poor positions.
    mobility ankles- as above only up stream the problems occur
    Muscle quality and length- improve quads, calfs and hamstrings
    strengthen quads and posterior chain- help everything
    diet and supplementation- fish oil to rediuce inflam, glus for cartilage

And that did not read you need to do more training. Please read that again.

Sorry I am off grid for the next few weeks with work.

^^^
    I hear ya barking big dog! I'm really not good at looking after the niggles. I suppose we are just used to getting on with it, although, it hasn't worked out for me lately.

Il check out some exercises to strengthen those areas and see does it take the pressure off the knee. Cheers man!

Monday: Legs / Abs

Leg Press:
    1x12 @ 100kg
    1x12 @ 150kg
    2x12 @ 200kg

Split squats:
    3x12 with 15kg plate (left leg only)
    3x8 (right leg)

Hack Squat:
    3x10 @ 80kg

SL BB DL:
    2x12 @ 50kg
    2x12 @ 60kg

Lying leg curls:
    5x10 @ 30kg

Seated calf raise:
    4x10 @ 40kg

Standing calf raise:
    4x12 @ bw

Bent knee hip raise:
    4x10

4x10 ab crunch

Tuesday: Chest / Tricep

Incline DB Press:
    1x12 @ 12kg
    2x12 @ 14kg
    1x12 @ 16kg
    1x12 @ 18kg

DB bench press:
    4x12 @ 14kg

Incline DB Flyes:
    3x10 @ 12kg

Dips:
    3x5 bw

Tricep pushdowns:
    3x10 @ 12kg

Cable Tri extension:
    3x10 @ 12kg

CGBP
    4x10 @ 40kg

Aaaand relax :). Struggled and paused in parts but got it done.

• Advertisement

Decided to stop training and sort myself out. Iv had a few bouts of physio over the last 2 weeks and I'm feeling MUCH better.

Physio was brutal and I hate it. I don't mind the pain but I suffer from tickleitis. There's nothing less macho than a grown man giggling like an asshat when another man has him strapped to a table.

Dry needling was great, got both hips, psolus, glutes, adductors and neck done. Really made a difference. Gona get th shoulders looked at next.

Good news though, I'm allowed run for 10 minutes on the grass tomorrow! Fcuk yeah.

5km in 29:02.....the shame of it!

Today was a bit of an assessment day. No goals to break, just to see where I stand.

Iv given up the long-ish gym plan and settled for the 5x5 plan. It's all I have time for at the mo tbh.

Up at 0600, bowl of cold gruel, yummy!! Then gym.

Squat 60kg 5x5
    Bench 50kg 5x5
    Row 40kg 5x5 (didn't like that one bit).
    I learned that my form on the lifts isn't quite right and that my flexibility is poor.

8km run at lunch. Fartlek / circuit type stuff.
    We kept at 50% pace for 2 minutes, dropped for 3 push ups then straight up for a 30 second run at 70% pace, rinse and repeat for 5km.

Then changed to 60% pace for 2.5 minutes, 3 burpess, then straight for a 20 second run at 80% pace, rinse and repeat for 3km.

Got lashed on but it was welcome. I learned that my "good knee" is now my bad knee and my "bad knee" is now my good knee. Fcuking body trolling me!

Cycled home from work. 56.5km in 2:13:35.......fastest time by about 2 minutes. Delighted considering my training has dropped off over the last 3 months. Felt comfortable using the drop bars on the bike and pumped the legs like a legend on the N7.

I'm tired and happy! Foam rolling, now chicken! Can't wait to cycle to work in the morning, I hope it's lashing rain!

Delighted to see you on you're making a comeback :) and with an epic days training too.

55.9km in 2:31:01.

Had pasta and buffalo mozzarella for breakfast. Did the job. Felt fairly tired this morning. Right knee giving the same hassle as Coast to Coast.

Spoke to my physio...kind of got a bollocking for not getting a bike fit. Looks like the bike is the problem, not the running. No more cycling until I get that done.

No run at lunch, did a 5km walk instead. Il go to the gym in the morning and see the physio on Thursday. Getting real tired of this bollox.

Delighted to see you on you're making a comeback :) and with an epic days training too.

Cheers Mrs!

Had a quick look at your log yesterday. Do you ever take a rest?! Ya mad thing! Not long now until the Beast....that will be an amazing experience. I'm aiming to do it in 2 years time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Mate of mine got a bike fitting before an Ironman lately and it did the job. I'll ask him who he went if the physio didn't suggest anyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

55.9km in 2:31:01.

Good heavens.

Mate of mine got a bike fitting before an Ironman lately and it did the job. I'll ask him who he went if the physio didn't suggest anyone

Hey Alf,

Yeah man that would be great. The guy I was going with cant see me until September. Appreciate it :)

Good heavens.

Apologies Braylon Future Duet ya bollox :)

I didn't run 55.9km in 2 minutes 31 point zero one seconds :)

It was only a cycle in 2 hours 31 minutes point zero one seconds.

Man, you are doing a good bit of training. You gonna start logging?

• Advertisement

Hey Alf,

Yeah man that would be great. The guy I was going with cant see me until September. Appreciate it :)

He went to Cycleways on Parnell St. (chap called Gordon). Cost 70 eurodollars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Apologies Frada ya bollox :)

I didn't run 55.9km in 2 minutes 31 point zero one seconds :)

It was only a cycle in 2 hours 31 minutes point zero one seconds.

Man, you are doing a good bit of training. You gonna start logging?
    Well done either way. :eek:

Nah, I don't think I'll be doing any logging. My impressive physique and incredible fitness will speak for themselves.

He went to Cycleways on Parnell St. (chap called Gordon). Cost 70 eurodollars.

Gordon got back to me, getting sorted next week. Thanks man! I owe you a protein shake.

Well done either way. :eek:

Nah, I don't think I'll be doing any logging. My impressive physique and incredible fitness will speak for themselves.

Ha, you are one fit bastard. When is your calendar coming out? Before you I hope ;)

No gym yet this week. All I have done is body weight circuits and sprints at lunch.

Well....."sprints", I have seen crisp packed being blown down the road quicker.

Gordon got back to me, getting sorted next week. Thanks man! I owe you a protein shake.

No worries fella. Mate said the bike adjustment was straightforward - setting it up so there was a 15° angle at your knee when the pedal is at the bottom buttthe big difference he made was making his cycling position much better

No worries fella. Mate said the bike adjustment was straightforward - setting it up so there was a 15° angle at your knee when the pedal is at the bottom buttthe big difference he made was making his cycling position much better

Let's hope it works! I'm running out of excuses :)

Not much going on my end. Work hours going back to normal on Monday. Can get into a nice routine again.

Went out for a jog on the grass today. Happy enough, knee pain held off for most of it. They were swollen at the end though.

Trying to stay at the 2000 Cals a day thing.

Weight today 193.6 lbs
    Cals today - 2030

7.92km jog on the grass
    49:08 minutes
    6:12 average km
    "758" Cals burned.....me bollox! :)

Looking forward to the gym on Saturday. Gonna lay off squats and DL's. Will focus on glutes / hams / calfs.....and mantits!

Great to see you getting back on track Fancy Pants :) and doing it the right way and looking after all them niggles, you'll be back doing crazy stuff in no time :)

Cheers Neady! Can't wait to get back to the crazy stuff. I'm completely jealous of you doing The Beast! Well.....the thoughts of it anyway.

Went out today with a target of 20km. Was fairly evident after a few minutes that it wasn't going to happen.

Reevaluated and went into my local park. Decided to stay as close to 6 1/2 mins per km as I could. For the first 5km I was at around 6:15 then I was near 7mins for the final 6.

All in all Im glad I went but I'm a million miles from where I'd like to be. Knees feel swollen.

Weight this morning 191lbs
    11.87km jog
    1hr 16mins
    6.28 avg km
    "1134" cals burned.

Bath, peach, ice pack, couch, Walking Dead. Cest fin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Aaaaaand I'm back!

Sitting at 206lbs at the moment. Niggles seem to have cleared up.

Sporadic training for the last 13 months, nothing serious, mostly light jogging for a few km and a few 60km cycles, no gym work.

Quest Killarney in a few weeks, will take it easy.

Hoping this will kick me into gear again.

Ugh

• Advertisement

Jaysus howya stranger

Advertisement