Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applicant Sourced Housing

Options
  • 02-01-2014 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Just wondering if any had any info on this.
    I can only find info from the tenants perspective, but am a lanlord.
    Who sets the rent, pays for anything that goes wrong etc.
    Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Newbee012 wrote: »
    Just wondering if any had any info on this.
    I can only find info from the tenants perspective, but am a lanlord.
    Who sets the rent, pays for anything that goes wrong etc.
    Any advice appreciated.

The rent is negotiated between you and the Council.
    Say you were looking for €850 for your two-bed property. You've met with two prospective tenants. The tenants have told the Council you're willing to participate in the ASH scheme with them.

The Council will contact you and start negotiating rent. You won't be given the full €850 UNLESS you agree to hand over 100% responsibility of your property to them for 10 years.

If you don't want that, then you agree to a lease of 5 years for the tenants to move into your property, but the Council will negotiate rent.
    They'll probably want to give you €780 or thereabouts.

They'll tell you you're guaranteed a tenant for at least five years and that you'll be paid your rent every single month, whether your property is occupied or not.

You are still responsible as a Landlord and must fulfill Landlord duties.

If you don't want to be responsible for any duties, then you can sign your property over to the Council for 10 years and let them find the tenants for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Newbee012

fussyonion wrote: »
    The rent is negotiated between you and the Council.
    Say you were looking for €850 for your two-bed property. You've met with two prospective tenants. The tenants have told the Council you're willing to participate in the ASH scheme with them.

The Council will contact you and start negotiating rent. You won't be given the full €850 UNLESS you agree to hand over 100% responsibility of your property to them for 10 years.

If you don't want that, then you agree to a lease of 5 years for the tenants to move into your property, but the Council will negotiate rent.
    They'll probably want to give you €780 or thereabouts.

They'll tell you you're guaranteed a tenant for at least five years and that you'll be paid your rent every single month, whether your property is occupied or not.

You are still responsible as a Landlord and must fulfill Landlord duties.

If you don't want to be responsible for any duties, then you can sign your property over to the Council for 10 years and let them find the tenants for you.

Im presuming then that rent would stay fixed for that timeframe, or would it increase/decrease with inflation?
    My concern would be getting the house back in 10 yrs time and it would be in bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

If this is the RAS scheme model then my advice is dont. A friend of mine, experienced in letting her properties, decided to put one on the RAS scheme, 3 bed in mature area of south Dublin, the Council let it to a known problem case who wrecked the house within 3 months and terrorised the neighbours in the quiet middle class street, so my friend had their anger to deal with as well as a legal battle with the CoCo to restore the house.

Stick with the private model, yes you may have to more involved and the property might change hands more often but its worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Newbee012

Larbre34 wrote: »
    If this is the RAS scheme model then my advice is dont. A friend of mine, experienced in letting her properties, decided to put one on the RAS scheme, 3 bed in mature area of south Dublin, the Council let it to a known problem case who wrecked the house within 3 months and terrorised the neighbours in the quiet middle class street, so my friend had their anger to deal with as well as a legal battle with the CoCo to restore the house.

Stick with the private model, yes you may have to more involved and the property might change hands more often but its worth it

It's such a shame that few bad apples ruin it for the rest. In theory I don't have issue letting it long term, or have issue with sw, rent allowance or that but just the fear that someone would reck it & we'd end up like your friend.
    That said I've had short term lets that have also managed to cause damage with in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Newbee012 wrote: »
    Im presuming then that rent would stay fixed for that timeframe, or would it increase/decrease with inflation?
    My concern would be getting the house back in 10 yrs time and it would be in bits.

It's not meant to change but I've heard from ASH Landlords who've been contacted by the Council to discuss rent decreases, so it can happen I think.

I understand your concerns regarding the house being wrecked.
    If you hand over 100% responsibility to the Council, you're essentially letting them move who they want in.

If you take a 5-year lease (and you'll be 100% responsible for all your normal duties), then you do have control over who moves into your property because you'd meet tenants the way everyone else meets them.
    If you are interested in it, here are the pros:

• Guaranteed tenant for at least 5 years with the option to renew the lease.
    • Choice over who moves into your property as you would meet them the usual way tenants meet Landlords.
    • Guaranteed rent every month, without fail, even if your property is vacant
    • Not having to worry about replacing tenants every few months.

Cons:

• You will most likely be receiving a reduced rent

• Your property has to live up to the standards set out by the Council and they're notoriously strict; you have to have good BER rating and fixtures and fittings must be in perfect condition

• If you agree to the scheme, the Council will send an inspector out to your house to check it's of high standard and it can take up to 8 weeks for the inspector to come out. Your tenants cannot move into the house until the inspector has been. So you would be waiting at least (potentially) 8 weeks for your first month's rent.
    • You're in a contract with the Council. If you sign a 5-year lease with a tenant and for some reason, they break the contract and move out, the Council will replace the tenant for you. You won't get to choose that next tenant.

The ASH and RAS schemes are popular with Landlords as they save them the hassle of finding tenants and replacing them and they're guaranteed rent every month, but there are things to consider and I'm sure there are other important factors to take into consideration, which other posters will tell you about.

Good luck!

• Advertisement
Advertisement