Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bedroom plant benefits and recommendations.

• 02-01-2014 10:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking to get a smallish plant for my bedroom to brighten it up. Is there any other benefits?

What plants would you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭rje66

Danye wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm looking to get a smallish plant for my bedroom to brighten it up. Is there any other benefits?

Thanks in advance.

Any will do. Just make sure of aspect. A north facing window will be very different to a south facing one. Also temperature and light and space are considerations . Most plants in a local garden centre will do, read the label and choose what u like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,675 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yes, there are claims that plants are advantageous in a house for a number of reasons, mostly air purification. There is an interesting article here http://www.bayeradvanced.com/articles/5-benefits-of-houseplants that sums it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Danye wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks in advance.

Lots of choice but cactus is a good start, not fussy and a great selection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Plants are excellent in the house - agree with all of the above but one caution - we had to get rid rid of a number of strongly scented flowering plants from the sitting room/bedroom areas. (esp jasmine and hyacinth) as they were giving me headaches, esp at night. I can't say 100% that they were causing the headaches but once they went, the headaches went too and I've never had any problems at all from the others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

lottpaul wrote: »
    Plants are excellent in the house - agree with all of the above but one caution - we had to get rid rid of a number of strongly scented flowering plants from the sitting room/bedroom areas. (esp jasmine and hyacinth) as they were giving me headaches, esp at night. I can't say 100% that they were causing the headaches but once they went, the headaches went too and I've never had any problems at all from the others.

what people forget is that plants produce oxygen during daylight but extract during darkness, and this has been associated with some problems. Which is why I would not use any plant with strong scent or large foliage in a bedroom area. Something compact and ornamental is fine!

• Advertisement
Advertisement