Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAO Application Process for Gradmed

Options
  • 02-01-2014 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hello all,

Just wondering if I can pick peoples brains on the CAO application form.

I am classed as a "Mature Student" - :eek:

1) What is the purpose of the "Relevance of your life / educational experience to your application and your educational goals & objectives: " section on the CAO application form? Is it necessary to have something worthwhile in this? Is it even read?

2) How does the process actually work? Do you submit your GamSat result to the CAO when the results are released or are they sent to the CAO via ACER? I cant find info on this process.

Thanks a bunch

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Abby19

Hello all,

1) What is the purpose of the "Relevance of your life / educational experience to your application and your educational goals & objectives: " section on the CAO application form? Is it necessary to have something worthwhile in this? Is it even read?

2) How does the process actually work? Do you submit your GamSat result to the CAO when the results are released or are they sent to the CAO via ACER? I cant find info on this process.

Thanks a bunch

Well you could also apply as a mature student to study medicine as an undergraduate. It tends to be 5 years, but in general the fees are lower than Grad Med, unless you attend RCSI, but UCD and TCD are ~€9k.

Whether you need to fill that part out if you are not intending to apply as a mature student I don't know though.

CAO get Irish GAMSAT results directly - you need to post others in http://www2.cao.ie/downloads/documents/GraduateEntryMedicine2014.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭letsdothis

Hello all,

Thanks a bunch

Hi, you seem to be a little confused about the types of entry routes. Mature student only comes into it if you are applying to direct entry as a mature student. Gamsat is related to grad entry only - mature student status is not relevant, only that you have a 2.1 and sit the Gamsat. Which method are you looking at gaining entry through, or is it both? It is worth reading through the threads here on both types to get a good flavour for it. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭pharmacrunch

letsdothis wrote: »
    Hi, you seem to be a little confused about the types of entry routes. Mature student only comes into it if you are applying to direct entry as a mature student. Gamsat is related to grad entry only - mature student status is not relevant, only that you have a 2.1 and sit the Gamsat. Which method are you looking at gaining entry through, or is it both? It is worth reading through the threads here on both types to get a good flavour for it. Good luck

Sorry, I meant that I am classed as a non-standard applicant i.e. I am over 23 years of age as of the 1st of January etc

I therefore have to submit transcripts of my previous degree etc - this is correct ?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭letsdothis

Sorry, I meant that I am classed as a non-standard applicant i.e. I am over 23 years of age as of the 1st of January etc

I therefore have to submit transcripts of my previous degree etc - this is correct ?

Ok - I can only comment on the Grad Med process, I'm unfamiliar with the Mature Student Direct Entry process.

Yes, you need to submit an original full transcript of your 1st primary degree to CAO - a verified copy will not suffice.

I spoke to the admissions officer in RCSI about this. The 4 admissions officers of the 4 GEM medical schools meet 3 (or 4) times between now and the end of July to agree eligibility of each applicant including reviewing GAMSAT results (as they become available) and primary degree. I believe the first meeting will be in April. From what I understand, if you get the transcript into them before their first meeting, you will get a letter from CAO around April/May time confirming that you have met the basic requirements.

Advertisement