Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being sent abroad without proper documentation/visa?

Options
  • 02-01-2014 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

My work have recently advised I need to travel abroad for five weeks to carry out some work they have won on contract.

The country I am going to allows Irish people in on visitor visas, but one must have a visa if going to work there, regardless for how long.

My work have advised that it's best for me to cooperate as they don't have the time to get a visa, and once I "say the right things" at immigration I won't have any issue.

I have issues with a. essentially going there illegally, and b. being asked to lie.

Have I any comeback on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

You haven't really given enough information to go on, because it's highly dependent on the country involved.

Remember, there is often very distinct differences between visiting, business and employment.

For example: the US.

Irish nationals can generally enter on the without a visa for tourism purposes and business purposes (i.e meetings, conferences, training) etc.
    Irish nationals can also get a visa to do either of the above, if needed.

So for example, if my company sells software to a client in New York. The may also purchase a training package from my company which me going there to help them set the software up and train them on my company's software/services/systems for a few weeks. That is perfectly valid reason for travelling and staying. You're not employed within the US, you're merely doing business. You're employer (and salary) is firmly outside the country.

Employment is a whole other thing: but employment only comes into it if you're working for a company based there, i.e if my employers said "Company X in New York is paying you and for the next 5 weeks you're employed by them" that's a whole different kettle of fish and wouldn't be allowed without appropriate employment visa's etc.

Vastly simplified, but it gives you an idea of the complexities you can be dealing with and how we can only speculate on your situation given the lack of info.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You're being asked to lie to an immigration official? I wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Hennesm

I worked as an immigration officer for a number of years and wouldn't advise you to try to lie. It will be apparent from your immigration history , baggage, employment , accommodation as to why you are going to when you are going. Dependant on the country it could have serious consequences for you. There are ways of fast tracking visas . Surely that would be a better option .
    Going for meetings is one thing ..working for 5 weeks, regardless of who is paying, is a completely different issue .

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭jimmurt

My work have recently advised I need to travel abroad for five weeks to carry out some work they have won on contract.

The country I am going to allows Irish people in on visitor visas, but one must have a visa if going to work there, regardless for how long.

My work have advised that it's best for me to cooperate as they don't have the time to get a visa, and once I "say the right things" at immigration I won't have any issue.

I have issues with a. essentially going there illegally, and b. being asked to lie.

Have I any comeback on this?

It really depends on the country?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

OP, buffbots comments are spot on.

You are not going to be employed in said country, you are paid in ireland and that remains so. The company you are visiting is not taking you on as a fully paid employee they have bought a service from another country and you are delivering part of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

I've only done it once when going to business meetings in South Korea. It was a bit of a grey and if I asked the embassy, they'd likely have made me apply for a visa. However, the trip was organised very last minute (no time to wait for a visa) and my work colleague who'd been there before said there was no issue and I had no problem from immigration even after ticking business as my intended purpose.

This was only a trip for 4 days, a stay of several weeks would likely flag up as something of interest for an immigration officer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Can you tell us the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

In only a few countries does 'doing business' work against a temporary visa application.

I would never lie to immigration officials anywhere. And from your employers' point if view, it's madness. If you went and got caught out, your company may never do business in that country again. Stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

If its the US were talking about, then just say business trip for 5 weeks, and you'll be fine.
    I've done it too many times to count over the past 20 years.
    You're not going there for employment.

Advertisement