Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying an engagement ring online, any advice?

Options
  • 03-01-2014 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all

I want to propose to my girlfriend soon. I recently started looking at the price of engagement rings but have been completely shocked by the enormous costs. So, I'm now strongly considering buying online as they seem to be much better value but needless to say am a bit wary all the same.

Can anyone give me some good recommendations of a reputable online jewellers? I've been looking at Vashi who are apparently based in London. Has anyone bought from them?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Mine is from Blue Nile several years ago. Very happy with it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

an engagement ring cost anything from 20e to 1,000,000e

You just need to decide what you can afford to spend without getting yourself into debt.

when you have decided the amount, just look for rings within that budget.

some of my friend have rings that cost 200e and some have rings that cost 20,000e. personally, i wont buy online because something might look great in the photo but then not suit the hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 valbo

thanks pwurple, I'll certainly check out Blue Nile.

And thanks john mason for the advice. Its good to know that people's spend on engagement rings isn't as high as I thought!

Appreciate the responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

I second Blue Nile. I've bought 2 engagement rings from them (she lost the 1st!!).

Their diamonds are without doubt the best value that you can buy. You're talking sometimes half the price of a main street jeweller with twice the guarantee of diamond attributes. I thought some of the metalwork (under close inspection with a jeweller's loupe) was not perfectly finished (on our 2nd ring) but then I have not inspected other engagement rings closely under a loupe.

Blue Nile UK and Ireland are based in Blanchardstown as far as I know; so you are supporting Irish jobs (in case anyone was to throw that red herring at you).

Very best wishes to you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 valbo

An Ri rua wrote: »
    I second Blue Nile. I've bought 2 engagement rings from them (she lost the 1st!!).

Their diamonds are without doubt the best value that you can buy. You're talking sometimes half the price of a main street jeweller with twice the guarantee of diamond attributes. I thought some of the metalwork (under close inspection with a jeweller's loupe) was not perfectly finished (on our 2nd ring) but then I have not inspected other engagement rings closely under a loupe.

Blue Nile UK and Ireland are based in Blanchardstown as far as I know; so you are supporting Irish jobs (in case anyone was to throw that red herring at you).

Very best wishes to you :)

Thank you so much An Ri rua...i've been looking at Blue Nile in the last few days but was still unsure, so your advice is invaluable and reassuring. Hope my gf says yes after all this!! Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Check out www.jamesallen.com

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

We got engaged recently and looked into buying a ring online. We didn't go down that route in the end (bought a lovely antique ring in a local shop) but I did find this website really helpful: http://www.truthaboutdiamonds.com/

Some useful info on color, clarity etc relating to specific cuts. This website also recommends jamesallen.com.

Advertisement